View Poll Results: Do You like this version of "America The Beautiful?"

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    73 57.48%
  • No

    38 29.92%
  • Other

    16 12.60%
Page 69 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 1048

Thread: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

  1. #681
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,175

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Oh, that was your point? Wow, your picture did a ****ty job of making that point because it had nothing to do with the absurdity of people getting offended by a frivilous commercial. I agree, and have said as much, that the ad isn't really something to get mad over. Doesn't change the fact that comparing what occured between the settlers of this country and Native Americans is in no way related to what's going on in this country with immigration, unless one is suggesting that immigrants to this country are an invasionary force looking to expell the present society.
    What's crawled up your butt? How many paragraphs can you pump out about something you don't care about?

    The picture was an adjunct to everybody getting bent out of shape because this ad encouraged people to not assimilate, and there was some sort of Liberal conspiracy in the halls of Coca-Cola, Inc. People aren't assimilating? Yeah, happened before. White culture did not originate here. The English language did not originate here. For that matter, probably most of the languages in the ad didn't. SFW?

    You're coming here to write paragraphs and paragraphs proclaiming that you don't care? Or are you just reflexively jumping on anyone you percieve as "liberal?"


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #682
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    People aren't assimilating? Yeah, happened before.
    There's your problem and why I had an issue with your picture.

    The "happened before" you're talking about is a situation entirely different than what's being discussed regarding current immigration.

    One was an invasion, at times passive at times aggressive but invasion no less, in an effort to expel the old society and secure a wholey new one.

    One is immigration, which is an effort to intigrate oneself self into the established society that's already in place and be a part of it rather than expel it.

    No **** "assimilation" didn't happen when the Europeans conquered "the new world", there typically isn't in such situations because it's counter productive to the very point. If the Europeans were simply wanting to become part of Native American culture and society they would've been attempting to become a part of the tribe...not trying to co-exist and/or push out the tribes.

    It's one thing to think peoples arguments and complaints about assimilation are misplaced. While I may disagree at times, it's a reasonable argument. However, arguing against peoples complaints about assimilation with a comparison to native americans is about as valid as arguing against peoples complaints about the legitimacy of banning gay marriage by pointing out we ban cocaine.

    You're coming here to write paragraphs and paragraphs proclaiming that you don't care? Or are you just reflexively jumping on anyone you percieve as "liberal?"
    I'm on a message board called debate politics....typing out messages.....that are debating in style....about politics.

    How odd.

    And no, I'm not pouncing on "liberals"...I'm pouncing on a poor analogy. Nothing about poor analogies requires them to be liberal or conservative

  3. #683
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,671

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The purpose of the caps is so that you won't just gloss over points, but I see you did that anyway. If things are bad in someone's country, they need to work to change that and not become criminals.
    Well, speaking of glossing over points, how about the fact that I've mentioned several times that not all immigrants are illegal, therefore not criminals? What about them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  4. #684
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Well, speaking of glossing over points, how about the fact that I've mentioned several times that not all immigrants are illegal, therefore not criminals? What about them?
    What about them SF? If they passed their citizenship tests, they have demonstrated an ability to speak and understand English in written and verbal forms.

  5. #685
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,671

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What about them SF? If they passed their citizenship tests, they have demonstrated an ability to speak and understand English in written and verbal forms.
    As has been mentioned before - in this very thread - that rule is not absolute, and there are exceptions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  6. #686
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What about them SF? If they passed their citizenship tests, they have demonstrated an ability to speak and understand English in written and verbal forms.
    wasn't that the naturalization test? Usually there exists a multi-year space between someone immigrating and taking that test

  7. #687
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    wasn't that the naturalization test? Usually there exists a multi-year space between someone immigrating and taking that test
    All of these types of tests are in English.

  8. #688
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    As has been mentioned before - in this very thread - that rule is not absolute, and there are exceptions.
    If a person has a disability or if it is on the basis of refuge status. They are very limited exemptions, and even they have to pass some tests.

    Almost ALL legal immigrants can speak at least SOME English, at least enough to get by. The ones who cannot speak English are usually going to be illegal immigrants, who have also not had any kind of medical examinations or vaccinations either.

  9. #689
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    All of these types of tests are in English.
    Yes, but a person immigrating and getting citizenship are two distinct things.

  10. #690
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Yes, but a person immigrating and getting citizenship are two distinct things.
    All immigrants who plan to live here have to pass a citizenship test except for a few exemptions. I'm not sure what you're referring to. Work visas?

Page 69 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •