View Poll Results: Do You like this version of "America The Beautiful?"

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    73 57.48%
  • No

    38 29.92%
  • Other

    16 12.60%
Page 61 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 1048

Thread: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

  1. #601
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You're either not reading your links or you are posting links to see what sticks. Immigrants in construction account for 2.2 million as per your link. Total number of immigrants in the US? 38 million. That means 5% of all immigrants work in construction. The rest? Menial jobs. So again I ask, what danger does the guy fixing computers at a computer store pose to you?
    Um, I think it's you who is not reading links.

    Where Construction Workers Come From

    According to the 2011 ACS, the share of immigrant workers in the US labor force now stands at slightly above 16 percent[1]. The reliance of the construction industry on foreign born workers is even greater. Immigrants now account for 22 percent of the construction work force[2].
    Last edited by ChrisL; 02-05-14 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Oops! Quoted the wrong post.

  2. #602
    Educator hallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Last Seen
    10-23-15 @ 09:44 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    620

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    A Nigerian cab driver who knows street names in English and nothing else isn't putting anybody at risk.

    A Chinese guy who only understands "Number ...." at Chinese restaurants isn't putting you at risk.
    A Nigerian cab driver who doesn't know English wont be able to function in any major city. Therefore he may go to the wrong place and put somebody at risk. A Chinese guy who only understands "numbers" wont know what health codes are and places everyone at the restaurant at risk.

    I am not saying that your point is wrong but I think you are overselling that English isn't a critical skill in this country. To get anywhere advanced, English is a necessity.

  3. #603
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You're either not reading your links or you are posting links to see what sticks. Immigrants in construction account for 2.2 million as per your link. Total number of immigrants in the US? 38 million. That means 5% of all immigrants work in construction. The rest? Menial jobs. So again I ask, what danger does the guy fixing computers at a computer store pose to you?
    Because the guy fixing the computer must be mute, deaf, and dumb because if he can't speaka english there's no other way he can communicate or understand to do his job that he knows quite well how to do and the computer will blow up.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  4. #604
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Retarded huh? You like to throw that word around alot.

    Anyway let's look at some statistics

    https://www.osha.gov/oshstats/commonstats.html





    Wow more people were getting killed on the job sites before all these non speaking immigrants started invading that trade.

    And falling is the most common one. That guy probably wouldn't have lost his balance, had he known English.
    That's funny. If you had been reading my links, you would see that they say the accident rate for all others has dropped EXCEPT for Hispanic speaking immigrants. And here's another link for you too.

    Hispanic Workers Die at Higher Rate - NYTimes.com

    In recent years the rate of on-the-job deaths for all Hispanics has been 20 percent higher than for whites or blacks, the Bureau of Labor Statistics has found. The death rate for Hispanics in construction, an industry that has hired many immigrants in recent years, is even higher, occupational experts say.

  5. #605
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Because the guy fixing the computer must be mute, deaf, and dumb because if he can't speaka english there's no other way he can communicate or understand to do his job that he knows quite well how to do and the computer will blow up.
    Absolutely true. My old job outsourced their computer programmers to India, and they were VERY difficult to understand, and because I had to actually do the "fixing" myself, it made it very difficult for me.

  6. #606
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    A Nigerian cab driver who doesn't know English wont be able to function in any major city. Therefore he may go to the wrong place and put somebody at risk. A Chinese guy who only understands "numbers" wont know what health codes are and places everyone at the restaurant at risk.

    I am not saying that your point is wrong but I think you are overselling that English isn't a critical skill in this country. To get anywhere advanced, English is a necessity.
    It is a necessity, and I think anybody that doesn't learn English does so at their own peril. They should be free not to, however. Free to make a mind-bogglingly stupid decision.

    I really think people are reading waaaaaaaaay too much into this ad. The point of the ad was of course, to sell more Coca-Cola. Is anybody really offended that someone who speaks a different language buys Coke instead of Pepsi? (Unless you work for Pepsi) Immigrant communities tend to use their own language amongst themselves, why is that bad? They always did, the difference being that when all those Poles came over to Buffalo and Chicago, there wasn't TV to sell them stuff.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #607
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    A Nigerian cab driver who doesn't know English wont be able to function in any major city. Therefore he may go to the wrong place and put somebody at risk. A Chinese guy who only understands "numbers" wont know what health codes are and places everyone at the restaurant at risk. I am not saying that your point is wrong but I think you are overselling that English isn't a critical skill in this country. To get anywhere advanced, English is a necessity.
    And I think you are overselling the need for English in the workplace. I haven't heard of any Nigerian cab drivers taking a fare to the wrong place, have heard many stories of English speaking NYC cab drivers taking first time tourists for a tour of NY before their hotel to pad the meter.

    The Chinese guy who only understands numbers is your WAITER, not the cook. Sort of spitting into your food as payback for a snotty attitude there is little to fear health code wise. The cook doesn't need to understand english for that matter- what matters is his supervisor can read the health code and convey the information.

    My take on you need english to advance is as your job skill set improves to be advance worthy, so too your mastery of our bastardized version of English will improve...

  8. #608
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    So, as you can see by the links, not being able to communicate effectively with one another increases the risks of on-the-job accidents and deaths. I think it is unreasonable and illogical to expect all Americans to be bilingual or multilingual in order to appease illegal immigrants and their supporters. The logical thing is to have those immigrants have a compulsory understanding on how to read, write and speak in English, since that is the dominant language in our country.

  9. #609
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's funny. If you had been reading my links, you would see that they say the accident rate for all others has dropped EXCEPT for Hispanic speaking immigrants. And here's another link for you too.

    Hispanic Workers Die at Higher Rate - NYTimes.com
    Your article does point out the accident rate is higher but it also points out that is due to employers not providing as much training, safety, and better workplace environments for the Hispanic workers as they do for American born workers. So if you hire 10 people and provide the necessary steps to do the job to half of them and not the other half, which do you think will prosper in their job?
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  10. #610
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    It is a necessity, and I think anybody that doesn't learn English does so at their own peril. They should be free not to, however. Free to make a mind-bogglingly stupid decision.

    I really think people are reading waaaaaaaaay too much into this ad. The point of the ad was of course, to sell more Coca-Cola. Is anybody really offended that someone who speaks a different language buys Coke instead of Pepsi? (Unless you work for Pepsi) Immigrant communities tend to use their own language amongst themselves, why is that bad? They always did, the difference being that when all those Poles came over to Buffalo and Chicago, there wasn't TV to sell them stuff.
    I have no issue with this. I just think they should know English as well. I enjoy the diversity we have in America too. It makes life much more interesting.

Page 61 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •