View Poll Results: Do You like this version of "America The Beautiful?"

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    73 57.48%
  • No

    38 29.92%
  • Other

    16 12.60%
Page 28 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 1048

Thread: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

  1. #271
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Excellent post!

    Greetings, Grant.
    Greetings, Muchacha~~!

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueWarrior View Post
    I would argue that John Tyler was the first because he was born after the ratification of the Constitution in 1789.
    Martin Van Buren was the first president born after the Declaration of Independence.

    Who do you think it might be if not one of those 2?
    I'm not sure of your argument here. Are you saying that because they were born before the Constitution was ratified they were not born in America? Wouldn't that have made them ineligible for the presidency?

  3. #273
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,186

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    I just sat through it. Frankly, it's a boring tune, as most nationalist dirges are. Certainly nothing to get your Depends in a wad over.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  4. #274
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,016

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueWarrior View Post
    I would argue that John Tyler was the first because he was born after the ratification of the Constitution in 1789.
    Martin Van Buren was the first president born after the Declaration of Independence.

    Who do you think it might be if not one of those 2?
    But he was also the only president that grew up with English not being his first language but his second language (according to wikipedia) because he grew up speaking Dutch.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  5. #275
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I'm not sure of your argument here. Are you saying that because they were born before the Constitution was ratified they were not born in America? Wouldn't that have made them ineligible for the presidency?
    (grin!)
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  6. #276
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    So I finally got a chance to actually take a look at the video. I honestly don't understand why so many people are offended or upset. It's actually a huge compliment to the United States. The way I understand the add, it's conveying the message that the country is still a beacon that attracts immigrants from all over the world. What the heck is the wrong with that??
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  7. #277
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Actually that's not quite right. Just in case one of the posters ever appears on Jeopardy here is the list.
    List of Presidents of the United States by home state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    No he was the first president born a citizen in the United States. Previous presidents were all naturalized citizens
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  8. #278
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    So I finally got a chance to actually take a look at the video. I honestly don't understand why so many people are offended or upset. It's actually a huge compliment to the United States. The way I understand the add, it's conveying the message that the country is still a beacon that attracts immigrants from all over the world. What the heck is the wrong with that??
    I think that, in some, just the word 'immigrant' evokes fear and loathing.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  9. #279
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    No he was the first president born a citizen in the United States. Previous presidents were all naturalized citizens
    So I suppose that everyone in the untied States at the time of the signing became a 'naturalized' American citizen, sans ceremony or documents, and prior to that were a people without a country.

    In any case, it's an interesting trivia question.

  10. #280
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Oh, thanks for reminding me that we have a 1st amendment. I totally forgot about that! You are so god damn helpful, you are truly a treasure to this forum.

    Maybe you can cruise around the internet and find people who want to imprison the Coca Cola CEO for the ad, then inform them about the 1st amendment.
    Lot of butt hurt man...

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Imagine how powerful the message would have been, if all the people attempted to sing "America the Beautiful" in English, dispite the impact their natual accent had on the words...
    Could have had the same impact, the message of lots of different kind of people coming together as one.

Page 28 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •