View Poll Results: Do You like this version of "America The Beautiful?"

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    73 57.48%
  • No

    38 29.92%
  • Other

    16 12.60%
Page 104 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105 LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1048

Thread: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

  1. #1031
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It's possible I misunderstand, and if so, my bad. However, if they did live with each other then that would help them not assimilate and yet, they did assimilate.
    this was re-quoted in the post you just responded to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    ***They were more isolated than current mexican populations***. Not only do they have easier access to mexico, but demographics spread out from the border and communities exist across the region. "chinatowns" were limited to a few major cities and they did not have easy access to china

    And I still don't see how that argues in favor of the idea that american culture is in danger of being displaced by Latino culture.
    This discussion started because you claimed assimilation patterns should be the same as the past.

    Since I never said either of those things, it's obvious you're just raising straw men in order to avoid discussing the main point of contention that Gath and I have been debating.
    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Immigrants today, with just a few minor exceptions, face most of the same pressures to assimilate and throughout american history millions of Latinos have done just that

  2. #1032
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    this was re-quoted in the post you just responded to:




    This discussion started because you claimed assimilation patterns should be the same as the past.
    That statement of mine does not say that the patterns will be "the same" as in the past. It says they should be "similar" in that Latinos will continue to assimilate (though maybe at a slower rate)

    As usual, you are imposing your own interpretation of what someone else said so you can focus on some pedantic little point and avoid the issue being debated.

    Do you think american culture will be replaced by latino culture?

    Can you describe the ways in which Latinos are not assimilating into american culture (and slower economic assimilation is neither "not assimilating", nor "cultural assimilation")?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #1033
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    It was one of the Super Bowl ads:

    It was semi-clever, but that's it. I found it neither offensive nor inspiring.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #1034
    Sage
    JumpinJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,628

    Re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I was offended by the notion that people could come to America to seek liberty and then not even have the God damn decency to use that liberty in the way I want them to, who are they to speak different languages?!!?

    Coca Cola's 'America the Beautiful' Super Bowl commercial angers conservative pundits - NY Daily News

    Coke Super Bowl America The Beautiful Ad - Business Insider

    Or like this ****ing blow hard Allen West

    "I am quite sure there may some who appreciated the commercial," West said, "but Coca Cola missed the mark in my opinion. If we cannot be proud enough as a country to sing 'American the Beautiful' in English in a commercial during the Super Bowl, by a company as American as they come--doggone we are on the road to perdition. This was a truly disturbing commercial for me, what say you?"

    That's right folks, God is going to doom this country to hell because we are "proud" enough to sing America the Beautiful in English during the Superbowl. Asshole.
    Is this a joke post? I hope so.

  5. #1035
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    I found the commercial to be annoying. It obviously was intended to give a multicultural point of view.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  6. #1036
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,536

    Re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    I found the commercial to be annoying. It obviously was intended to give a multicultural point of view.
    So what part was annoying? The obvious multicultural point of view?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  7. #1037
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    So what part was annoying? The obvious multicultural point of view?
    Yes, that and the fact the language shifting every verse.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  8. #1038
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,536

    Re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    Yes, that and the fact the language shifting every verse.
    Well shifting language does kind of happen in multicultural situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  9. #1039
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,446

    Re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    America is never going to have one culture. The North and the South are completely different. Different regions of the US have different issues and problems. I live near the Canadian boarder, so I don't much relate to issues people living in the southwest deal with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    And just look at all the problems that has caused. The interracial tensions created by blacks and whites "separating" their cultures from one another causes untold violence and popular resentment.

    These problems don't really exist in nations where they assimilated into the local culture instead.



    That's the major problem here. You're not talking about a "melting pot." You're basically talking about throwing oil and water into a glass together and watching how things play out.

    Again, the goal here should be to create a single culture, with a single goal, not a bunch of little ones all vying for different goals. That will only lead to conflict and resentment.



    Aren't there still Irish pubs? Aren't there still Italian restaurants?

    There's no reason why immigrants can't keep many of their traditions while still conforming to local cultural norms and learning the language.

  10. #1040
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,446

    Re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    My Dad's side of the family took part in a well know post WWII worker program to rebuild Germany. Immigrants from all over Europe went to Germany, and obviously they rebuild the nation fine.


    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Well, I was a structural Ironworker for nearly 30 years and never had a problem, maybe because I never worked with anyone who couldn't speak English. I wouldn't have tried to work in Quebec, my French isn't very good, but I worked with several Frenchmen who spoke fluent English.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •