View Poll Results: Should motorcycles be illegal?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 1.75%
  • No

    50 87.72%
  • Chuck Norris holding strong eye contact while eating a banana.

    6 10.53%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 72

Thread: Should motorcycles be illegal?

  1. #31
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Its a slaughter around here. May be the highest per capita ownership of Harleys in the country. Men who have retired, grow a beard, get tattoos, buy lots of leather, and a Harley. Then on Saturdays the gather at the big Harley shops, so of which also are nightclubs. And similar people come here from all around. It has some nice scenic winding roads around the shell islands and to the Gulf. A fair number of women Harley drivers too.

    Harley's handle like crap and probably 1/3rd of the drivers around here also are seniors - 60s, 70, 80, 90 years old.

    So when one of those bikers has a situation, they instantly freeze up and lock up the brakes and wipe out into or under the car. Its a slaughter field out their for old folks on big Harleys. However, there also are an unusually high percentage that are 3 wheeler Harleys.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    No they should not be illegal.

    Motorcycles are fine, the people riding them for their own personal safety need to be far more aware of what is going on around them and be very defensive in their driving. They have to learn to anticipate what other drivers in cars or trucks are going to do.

    I have had three bikes, and rode them nearly daily during the time of year when riding is possible here (Canada). I had one and only one accident on them, it was at low speed when someone in heavy traffic cut into my lane, and hit my front wheel, perhaps at 4 mph.

    Did I take advantage of the performance of my bikes sure (Yamaha FZR 600, Yamaha YZF R1), I may or may not have taken them up to 155 mph on wide open highways with little traffic, or go from 30 mph to 70 or 80 in about a block. I did not do that when traffic was heavy or when I could not see what was coming up.

    Motorcycles themselves are not dangerous, it is the rider, or the people around the rider that can be dangerous

    As for loud pipes, given that the dopler effect is real, the only people that are really hearing the load bikes are behind them, not infront of them, and that is not going to make drivers that might be a threat aware of the bike. Escpecially if the motorcyclist is speeding. The worst offenders are the straight pipes on customs that hurt the ears of people behind them, if i have to put my window up to cut the noise of the bike because it is painful, it is too loud period
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  3. #33
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Should motorcycles be illegal?-1089955_700b-jpgThis is relevant to my choice.

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The argument for having loud pipes is that it helps save lives. Loud pipes make the bike more likely to be noticed by drivers in cars.... and the #1 cause of motorcycle deaths is people in cars who don't see the motorcycle and run in to him.
    Yeah, I've heard this before. All it means is that people can be as creative as they need to be when justifying their pleasures.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #35
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Generally I am opposed to all forms of prohibition.

    If the argument for prohibition is safety, I am even less inclined to agree.
    What a ridiculous argument. How do you feel about the prohibition on murder?

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,016

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm getting a Triumph Bonneville, and as I've been reading safety statistics on motorcycles it made me wonder what the good people of DP would think.

    You are 36 times more likely to be in a fatal crash on a motorcycle than in a car. The most common reason for motorcycle crashes is they get hit by a car that doesn't see them.

    Do you think a 16 year old should be able to buy a motorcycle? Should protective gear (helmets, leather assless chaps, etc) be required? Do you think there should be noise limits on the pipes?

    This is a thread all about motorcycles and the law, so post your thoughts.
    Get one of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images Should motorcycles be illegal?-cycle-jpg 
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    P. J. O'Rourke

  7. #37
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm getting a Triumph Bonneville, and as I've been reading safety statistics on motorcycles it made me wonder what the good people of DP would think.

    You are 36 times more likely to be in a fatal crash on a motorcycle than in a car. The most common reason for motorcycle crashes is they get hit by a car that doesn't see them.

    Do you think a 16 year old should be able to buy a motorcycle? Should protective gear (helmets, leather assless chaps, etc) be required? Do you think there should be noise limits on the pipes?

    This is a thread all about motorcycles and the law, so post your thoughts.
    What year Bonnie? I'd love a sixties-early seventies Bonnieville. I learned to ride on English bikes- after I bought a Kawasaki I spent two weeks trying to shift gears with the brake pedal!
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  8. #38
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    No it is the fact you are on two wheels, you have less traction.
    It's a fact that a well-ridden bike is way more nimble than any car. Higher power-to-weight ratio and able to dodge through a space the size of a bucket seat.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm getting a Triumph Bonneville, and as I've been reading safety statistics on motorcycles it made me wonder what the good people of DP would think.

    You are 36 times more likely to be in a fatal crash on a motorcycle than in a car. The most common reason for motorcycle crashes is they get hit by a car that doesn't see them.

    Do you think a 16 year old should be able to buy a motorcycle? Should protective gear (helmets, leather assless chaps, etc) be required? Do you think there should be noise limits on the pipes?

    This is a thread all about motorcycles and the law, so post your thoughts.
    Outlaw cages (aka cars) and problem solved.

  10. #40
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,952
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Have you observed any motorcycle racing?
    The point raised about traction, number of wheels and contact patch is spot on.

    The car has larger contact patches, so can brake later into the corners, and accelerate earlier at the apex, or even before the apex. Top Gear UK has run this test at least 2 times, and by the second or third corner, the car is ahead of the bike and pretty much stays there due to these 2 facts.

    But, yes. Those motorcycle racers really do some amazing things on their machines. So do the Ireland TT racers. Now that's pretty nuts. 200 MPH on country lanes.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •