View Poll Results: Should motorcycles be illegal?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 1.75%
  • No

    50 87.72%
  • Chuck Norris holding strong eye contact while eating a banana.

    6 10.53%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 72

Thread: Should motorcycles be illegal?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,655

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    They really do need noise limits on exhausts on bikes, sports bikes are not really an issue but Harleys are.
    That noise from a Harley can often be a lifesaver. Even if someone can't see you they can damned well hear you.

  2. #22
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    5 grand will buy you a Kawasaki ninja...faster than a corvette, better mileage than a civic. Yeah, not a good grocery getter, but perfect for commuting to work.
    In the summer and when it is sunny, if you buy that motorcycle you have to own a car anyways so might as well spend that 5000$ to buy a better car.

  3. #23
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    That noise from a Harley can often be a lifesaver. Even if someone can't see you they can damned well hear you.
    There is difference between a noise to make your bike noticeable and a noise that is obnoxious which is what all Harleys are.

  4. #24
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Motorcycles are perfectly safe, it's the morons in cars that kill motorcyclist.
    No it is the fact you are on two wheels, you have less traction.

  5. #25
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    No it is the fact you are on two wheels, you have less traction.
    Have you observed any motorcycle racing?
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    There is difference between a noise to make your bike noticeable and a noise that is obnoxious which is what all Harleys are.
    You're making me want a Harley instead of a Triumph now.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I always wondered if it was actually legal for motorcycles to do this? I always wondered about parking too.

    Seems like a pretty good bonus to owning a motorcycle if you get to skip traffic and you never have to worry about finding a spot.
    Depends on where you live. It's legal in some states, illegal in others - including my state. That said it can be safely done.

    I've ridden my entire adult life and for a while when I was a poor just married kid it was my only means of transport. I rode rain or shine, even in the snow. There are risks associated with that but they can be safely managed.

    For all that though these days I'll only ride on nice warm sunny days. I've either become more risk adverse as I've aged or I've realized that being cold and wet kind of sucks.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm getting a Triumph Bonneville, and as I've been reading safety statistics on motorcycles it made me wonder what the good people of DP would think.

    You are 36 times more likely to be in a fatal crash on a motorcycle than in a car. The most common reason for motorcycle crashes is they get hit by a car that doesn't see them.

    Do you think a 16 year old should be able to buy a motorcycle? Should protective gear (helmets, leather assless chaps, etc) be required? Do you think there should be noise limits on the pipes?

    This is a thread all about motorcycles and the law, so post your thoughts.
    it's definitely dangerous. i ride in traffic as little as possible. i do ride to work rarely, but mostly stick to country highways.

    a couple tips i've learned :

    1. always wear the damned helmet. i know, wind in your hair and all, but get a cool looking helmet. i have one.

    2. get a windshield. a bee sting at 60 MPH can really affect your ability to ride.

    3. take a class. i took one that ate an entire weekend, but i learned at least one critical thing that could save me an accident. i know it sounds dumb, but i didn't know not to hit the brake while navigating a curve. the reason is because the small part of the tire touching the road when you're leaning has to be devoted to keeping the bike upright, not slowing down. i could have screwed up pretty good there.

    4. most important of all : when you're at a stop light, flash your brake light. do this every time you're stopped and anyone might come up behind you. a texting teen will not see your brake light, but they have a better chance of seeing your flashing brake light.

    5. tires.

    6. tires. seriously. sink the money if they are old or bald. they might look good, but they are as hard as a rock. when i restored my bike and finally got the tires replaced, they showed me how hard they were, even though they looked fine. hard tires do not do well on corners.

    ok, enough tips. to address the OP, no, i don't think motorcycles should be illegal. however, carry insurance, and keep a healthy fear of riding along with a confidence in your ability. i still prefer riding in low traffic situations, but it's possible to at least minimize risk in traffic. i just try to save riding in a stop and go city like the place where i work as a special treat that i don't do very often.

  9. #29
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm getting a Triumph Bonneville, and as I've been reading safety statistics on motorcycles it made me wonder what the good people of DP would think.

    You are 36 times more likely to be in a fatal crash on a motorcycle than in a car. The most common reason for motorcycle crashes is they get hit by a car that doesn't see them.

    1.)Do you think a 16 year old should be able to buy a motorcycle?
    2.) Should protective gear (helmets, leather assless chaps, etc) be required?
    3.) Do you think there should be noise limits on the pipes?

    This is a thread all about motorcycles and the law, so post your thoughts.
    Ive rode bikes on and off road but i don not have one because im smart enough to know im stupid, lol yes you can quote me on that.

    WHat does that mean, it means i KNOW that my adventurous personality and want would cause me to take to many risks and be reckless/careless on a bike. SO there for i simply remove it from the equation and do not have one.

    anyway on to your questions about opinions

    Do you think a 16 year old should be able to buy a motorcycle? hell no lol
    if we are letting minors yes, adults no barring that theres no multiple and studies that say that equipment makes the bake/driver safer to others
    yes of course for on street legal bikes there absolutely should be just like a car can have certain lights in certain places or colors because of the distraction. it can be a danger to others
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #30
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Should motorcycles be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm getting a Triumph Bonneville, and as I've been reading safety statistics on motorcycles it made me wonder what the good people of DP would think.

    You are 36 times more likely to be in a fatal crash on a motorcycle than in a car. The most common reason for motorcycle crashes is they get hit by a car that doesn't see them.

    Do you think a 16 year old should be able to buy a motorcycle? Should protective gear (helmets, leather assless chaps, etc) be required? Do you think there should be noise limits on the pipes?

    This is a thread all about motorcycles and the law, so post your thoughts.
    As far as I know there are noise limits on all vehicles including motor cycles. A know a lot of guys like loud pipes, though, because it's one more way to let idiot drivers know you're there.


    I don't think a 16 yo has any business on a motor cycle except under very limited conditions and they sure shouldn't be driving one. A speed limited moped on side-streets, maybe, but not a motor cycle. They can wait til they're 18.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •