View Poll Results: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in accordance with the US-Italy extradition treaty.

    27 27.55%
  • Yes, she should be imprisoned somewhere, but maybe in the US.

    2 2.04%
  • No, Americans shouldn't be extradited to foreign nations even if they're guilty.

    12 12.24%
  • No, she isn't guilty.

    57 58.16%
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 376

Thread: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    Are you serious, and this is guy serious? That is NOT evidence beyond circumstantial. Lots of evidence? What a joke!

  2. #82
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    That's what's happening in Italy. The prosecution found more evidence that they feel could change the outcome of the previous trial, so they're having another. That's even exactly what you said. You said if the state finds more evidence of a crime, they should be able to call back and retry that person.

    If you have enough trials, you'll eventually get a conviction for something.



    I believe that's kind of what some people have thought about Bill Clinton.

    But so far he's still walking around doing whatever he wants to do.

  3. #83
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    That's what's happening in Italy. The prosecution found more evidence that they feel could change the outcome of the previous trial, so they're having another. That's even exactly what you said. You said if the state finds more evidence of a crime, they should be able to call back and retry that person.

    If you have enough trials, you'll eventually get a conviction for something.
    SOP for our so-called justice system.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I believe that's kind of what some people have thought about Bill Clinton.

    But so far he's still walking around doing whatever he wants to do.
    Not so for OJ though!

  5. #85
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I agree. The trial was a complete circus, and I still haven't heard of any kind of valid evidence to prove that Amanda Knox had anything to do with the murder. I think it was the guy she took home from the bar (whatever his name was) who murdered her, and I think that Amanda and her boyfriend were probably doing their own thing at the time of the murder.
    Y'see? This is exactly what I was saying in the other thread. You appear to need no evidence to convict Woody Allen, but you need loads of it for Knox. This argument has more than a touch of hypocrisy about it. What convicted Knox, I suspect, was her own evidence and testimonies that she changed, invented, forgot about and contradicted herself. She accused someone of committing the murder, which she 'witnessed', who was then proved to have a cast-iron alibi. I think she pretty much convicted herself.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Y'see? This is exactly what I was saying in the other thread. You appear to need no evidence to convict Woody Allen, but you need loads of it for Knox. This argument has more than a touch of hypocrisy about it. What convicted Knox, I suspect, was her own evidence and testimonies that she changed, invented, forgot about and contradicted herself. She accused someone of committing the murder, which she 'witnessed', who was then proved to have a cast-iron alibi. I think she pretty much convicted herself.
    Changing your story is not evidence of murder. There was no person (besides the originally accused) who pointed at her and said "she did it" either. She was probably scared out of her mind, being accused of murder in a foreign country with no family around to help her. God only knows how long they had interrogated the poor girl for.

  7. #87
    Professor
    Chatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Britain
    Last Seen
    07-14-14 @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    I don't think you're being entirely fair -- the US extradites both Britons and Americans to the UK all the time. There have been some high-profile cases, particularly to do with the IRA, that have aroused the ire of the UK about the UK-US extradition treaty, but if you read it, I think you'll agree it's pretty fair.

    I agree with you that the US refusing to extradite some IRA members due to a very loose interpretation of what 'political refugee' means is pretty unstomachable. Equally, though, Britain flatly refuses to extradite murderers to the US unless the US promises not to go for the death penalty.
    Britain doesn't flatly refuse to extradite murderers to the US unless the US promises not to execute them, that it is European Law rather than national law, and is part of the European Convention on Human Rights signed in 1953 and which covers most of Europe, whilst many other countries without the death penalty themselves have a similar requirement.

    European Convention on Human Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I also don't agree the IRA cases were fair at all, especially given that the US has ignored all political boundaries since 9/11 and has extradited a lot of Britons on far lesser terrorist charges than the murder of a US soldiers. Indeed the current terrorism against the US could be just as easily labelled political and to do with US Forces occupying parts of the Middle East and Afghanistan, or US Foreign Policy in relation to certain regions and indeed Israel.

    I also don't think the current extradition treaty with the US is fair and support it's reform.
    Last edited by Chatter; 02-02-14 at 05:06 PM.

  8. #88
    Professor
    Chatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Britain
    Last Seen
    07-14-14 @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Are you serious, and this is guy serious? That is NOT evidence beyond circumstantial. Lots of evidence? What a joke!
    What Alan Dershowitz Professor of Law at Harvard University

  9. #89
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    The US should not extradite her. It would be double jeopardy. She was found not guilty and sent home, upon some Italian re-trial (of which she probably wasn't present for) they do find her guilty. In such a case the US should not extradite.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  10. #90
    Professor
    Chatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Britain
    Last Seen
    07-14-14 @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    It is debatable whether this constitutes double jeopardy, as the Italian system is different to the US System an a final decision has not been reached, in what is appeals rather than separate cases.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wall Street Journal

    Now Italy's highest court has 90 days to explain its decision to reverse that acquittal. Whatever its reasoning, Italian law calls for the case to be reheard by a new appeals court, which can either affirm the conviction or order an acquittal. If the conviction is ultimately affirmed, the Italian government can petition the U.S. to extradite Ms. Knox to Italy to complete serving the 26-year prison term to which she was sentenced in 2009.

    Ms. Knox would likely challenge any extradition request on the ground that she was already acquitted by the lower appellate court, so any subsequent conviction would constitute double jeopardy.

    That is when the real legal complexities would kick in, because Italian and American law are quite different and both will be applicable in this transnational case involving a citizen of one country charged with killing a citizen of another country in yet a third country.

    America's extradition treaty with Italy prohibits the U.S. from extraditing someone who has been "acquitted," which under American law generally means acquitted by a jury at trial. But Ms. Knox was acquitted by an appeals court after having been found guilty at trial. So would her circumstance constitute double jeopardy under American law?

    That is uncertain because appellate courts in the U.S. don't retry cases and render acquittals (they judge whether lower courts made mistakes of law, not fact). Ms. Knox's own Italian lawyer has acknowledged that her appellate "acquittal" wouldn't constitute double jeopardy under Italian law since it wasn't a final judgment—it was subject to further appeal, which has now resulted in a reversal of the acquittal. This argument will probably carry considerable weight with U.S. authorities, likely yielding the conclusion that her extradition wouldn't violate the treaty. Still, a sympathetic U.S. State Department or judge might find that her appellate acquittal was final enough to preclude extradition on double-jeopardy grounds.

    Alan Dershowitz: Amanda Knox

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •