View Poll Results: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in accordance with the US-Italy extradition treaty.

    27 27.55%
  • Yes, she should be imprisoned somewhere, but maybe in the US.

    2 2.04%
  • No, Americans shouldn't be extradited to foreign nations even if they're guilty.

    12 12.24%
  • No, she isn't guilty.

    57 58.16%
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 376

Thread: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

  1. #221
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    The poll should have had the option, "No, I don't know whether she's guilty, but Double Jeopardy applies" and that's how I would have voted.
    Does Italy have a double jeopardy law? That was the court and laws she was convicted under.

    We do, however, need to give some weight to honoring of extridition laws, I suppose. Otherwise, any mafioso hitman could just run to Italy for protection.

    But, I do think it's more about politics than justice. It's also about the ego of an undefeated prosecutor getting his cherry popped for the first time. I think she was tried in a kangaroo court.

    All that being said, here's my take on it. I think she should voluntarily submit to a, legally non-binding, polygraph test. She should be asked 2 questions and 2 questions only.

    1. Did you kill the person?
    2. Were you part of a conspiracy to kill the person?

    If her answers are "no," to both questions and she passes the test, she should be protected by the full weight of the US government and even the military if need be.

    If she answers yes to either question, she's on her own.
    If she refuses the test, she's on her own.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    It's dubious as to whether the US can use 'Double Jeopardy'. Furthermore the whole Italian system is based around three courts or grades.
    If one is to assume that the Italian system does, indeed allow for Double Jeopardy, then why did they cut Ms. Knox loose before the entire process was completed? They had to know that she would immediately return to the United States, which was highly unlikely to extradite her for another trial after the Italian courts found her conviction to be tainted in the first trial.

  3. #223
    Professor
    Chatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Britain
    Last Seen
    07-14-14 @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    If one is to assume that the Italian system does, indeed allow for Double Jeopardy, then why did they cut Ms. Knox loose before the entire process was completed? They had to know that she would immediately return to the United States, which was highly unlikely to extradite her for another trial after the Italian courts found her conviction to be tainted in the first trial.
    The Italian system is based around three courts. There is the Court of First Grade, the Court of Appeal (Second Grade) and the Court of Cessation (Third Grade), which is the Court of Last Resort, therefore the final verdict in this case has not yet been announced yet under Italian Law. They let her out at the second grade stage, however under Italian Law, the final verdict is announced by the Court of Cessation. It's a very different system to the British or American system but should still be respected, and as I have pointed out before Amanda Knox is free in Seattle at the moment, so she owes a lot to that system, which is in fact very thorough. However the fact that a new guilty verdict has now been received and the case is due to go before the Final Court of Cessation changes matters, and should she been found guilty there, then the Italian authorities will be forced to seek her extradition.

    If she is found guilty by the Final Court and the US refuses to extradite, then there may be future implication for diplomatic relations and extradition, whilst Miss Knox won't ever be able to travel to many countries outside the US.
    Last edited by Chatter; 02-06-14 at 03:24 PM.

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    The Italian system is based around three courts. There is the Court of First Grade, the Court of Appeal (Second Grade) and the Court of Cessation (Third Grade), which is the Court of Last Resort, therefore the final verdict in this case has not yet been announced yet under Italian Law. They let her out at the second grade stage, however under Italian Law, the final verdict is announced by the Court of Cessation. It's a very different system to the British or American system but should still be respected, and as I have pointed out before Amanda Knox is free in Seattle at the moment, so she owes a lot to that system, which is in fact very thorough. However the fact that a new guilty verdict has now been received and the case is due to go before the Final Court of Cessation changes matters, and should she been found guilty there, then the Italian authorities will be forced to seek her extradition.
    So, if I understand this correctly, they let a foreign national with no real connections to the country go free BEFORE the final decision of the courts was handed down. That sounds about as nonsensical as most of what the US Legal System does. Why on Earth would ANY system allow a defendant who has had their case sent back to a lower court free? That makes no sense whatsoever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    If she is found guilty by the Final Court and the US refuses to extradite, then there may be future implication for diplomatic relations and extradition, whilst Miss Knox won't ever be able to travel to many countries outside the US.
    Somehow I doubt Ms. Knox is interested in leaving the United States again during her lifetime. As for the potential political/international relateions implications.... as an Isolationist, that really doesn't bother me. The US and Italy have a cordial (at best) relationship due to any number of incidents over the past couple of decades so I doubt this will make any significant change in that, one way or another.

  5. #225
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    There was plenty of DNA evidence in that house linking Knox to the knife and scene and none of it was ever judged to have been cross contaminated by the Italian Courts. It was also shown by forensic experts that there were numerous people involved in the murder rather than just one individual.

    It's not right to say there is

    The Murder of Meredith Kercher

    The Evidence - The Murder of Meredith Kercher

    Knox initially confessed that she was in the house on the night of the murder and that she heard Miss Kercher scream, identifying a Congolese bar owner, Patrick Lumumba, as the assailant. She told the court during the trial that the confession was made under duress but then repeated the entire account in a five page memorandum the next morning. She later claimed Italian Authorities beat her, something which was strongly denied by everyone involved in the inquiry.

    Lumumba was promptly arrested and spent two weeks in jail and Knox seemed quite happy for him to remain jail . It was only by chance that a Swiss businessman read about the case and came forward to say he had been talking to Lumumba in his bar on the night of the murder — offering him a rock-solid alibi. Lumumba has also always claimed Knox was the one behind the murder that night.

    Knox then changed her story saying she was far away from the scene with her boyfriend at his place that night and that they watch the film Amelie on his lap top.

    Sollecito could not back up Knox’s alibi on the night of the murder. Whilst she claimed she spent the evening with him, smoking marijuana, watching the French film Amelie and making love. Sollecito told police he could not remember if Knox was with him that evening or not.

    Even assuming his memory was hazy because of the drugs, it seemed odd that a young man who had just embarked on a new relationship could not recall whether he had spent the night with his girlfriend or not.

    Sollecito claimed he used his computer to download and watch cartoons and Amelie. But computer experts told the court that there was no activity on his laptop between 9.10pm on Nov 1, and 5.32am the next morning — the time frame in which the murder took place.

    Knox and Sollecito turned off their mobile phones on the night of the murder, from around 8.40pm, and turned them back on at around 6am, inviting further suspicion.

    A bedroom belonging to one of Miss Kercher’s Italian flatmates was ransacked on the night of the murder, with a window smashed with a rock. But police said the break-in was staged - broken glass from the window was found on top of clothes scattered on the floor, suggesting the window was broken after the contents of the room were messed up. Prosecutors accused Knox and her boyfriend of staging the break-in to make the killing look like a burglary that had turned into rape and murder.

    Knox claimed that she slept in late the next morning but this was contradicted by a local shop keeper who clearly saw her very early next morning following Meredith's murder, when she came in to his shop allegedly to buy cleaning products such as bleach.

    Why Amanda Knox's story just doesn't wash - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

    Evidence against Amanda Knox makes conviction seem likely

    Shopkeeper Says He Saw Knox After Murder - ABC News

    Then there is the The 3am call to her mother which she denied making, her table lamp locked in the murder room, the different accounts of the locked door, the witness who saw her and her boyfriend overlooking the cottage on the murder night and numerous other such evidence such as the fact Amanda Knox made two statements to Meredith's friends that the police found suspicious because they contained details that Amanda Knox should not have known. Indeed Meredith's roommate Natalie Hayward and other friends of Meredith's in Perugia at the time such as Amy Frost and Robyn Carmel Butterworth have always claimed they believe Knox to be the murderer.

    Amanda Knox Knew Details of the Crime She Shouldn't Have Known - The Murder of Meredith Kercher

    Local News | Roommate testifies in Amanda Knox murder trial | Seattle Times Newspaper

    Why I believe Knox killed my friend

    Fellow student

    Whilst Rudy Guede was sentenced to 30 years in prison for his part in the murder, but has had his sentence cut to 16 years and who is eligible for parole later this year has always maintained that it was Knox who was in fact the murderer, and it will be interesting to hear his views once he is released and has nothing to lose.

    There are people in US Prisons serving life for murder on far less evidence than Knox and Knox has proved her self to be nothing more than a blatant liar in the past, even accusing a man she knew to be innocent. So cold is Knox, that I honestly think she would have quite happily have seen Patrick Lumumba serve a life sentence for something she knew he hadn't done, and her behaviour throughout the case has been extremely questionable.

    I am also not the only one to believe there is significant evidence, Professor Alan Dershowitz of Harvard University School of Law also thinks there is significant evidence, as does fellow US Law Professor Julian Ku, and both agree that Knox should be extradited.



    There is also a new motive for the crime been uncovered which further implicates Amanda Knox, with the Italian Courts to due to release this information shortly.

    'Evidence of a motive' for the crime behind Amanda Knox verdict - Europe - World - The Independent

    Finally the people I feel sorry for in all of this are the forgotten victims, Meredith and her family who have lost a much loved daughter and sister, and who have sat through the trial and having listened to the evidence fully support Knox's extradition.

    Amanda Knox Weeps And Vows To 'Fight Till End'

    Belfast Telegraph?

    None of this is convincing evidence. Why is Guede's DNA the only one at the murder scene? How does one professionally clean a scene to remove their DNA but not that of Guede? How did such an odd troupe of people turn out to be murderers? Why do they leave the guy they don't really know to masturbate on the body?

  6. #226
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    A predictable conservative response. Italy does have a legitimate right in this case..We are not the world's supreme power, and never were.
    Dude, I find your attitude to be reprehensible..
    I find your attitude to be shortsighted and its amazing that "progressive" and hate America is so often linked. As I noted, most of those screaming for this woman to be extradited are American hating EuroSocialists--including some American residing wannabe Eurosocialists



  7. #227
    Professor
    Chatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Britain
    Last Seen
    07-14-14 @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Belfast Telegraph?

    None of this is convincing evidence. Why is Guede's DNA the only one at the murder scene? How does one professionally clean a scene to remove their DNA but not that of Guede? How did such an odd troupe of people turn out to be murderers? Why do they leave the guy they don't really know to masturbate on the body?
    Actually Knox DNA is there as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Independent

    Although not visible to the naked eye, the chemical Luminol which flashes blue on contact with blood revealed a spot in the room of the flatmate whose window had been smashed and room rifled. Swabbing the spot produced a mixture of Amanda and Meredith’s DNA. This is a clear proof that the murderer entered that bedroom after the murder, as someone must have brought Meredith’s blood into the room, contradicting the defence theory that Rudy Guede broke into the house and then committed the murder. The usual defence explanation for mixed DNA stains in the bathroom and corridor, namely that the house would have been coated in Amanda’s DNA given that she lived there, does not necessarily apply to a flatmate’s bedroom. It is much harder to leave traces of DNA than is commonly conceived, and hardly any of Amanda's DNA was found in her own room - where she surely spent a lot more time than in her flatmate's.

    It's not right to say there is
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixed Blood/DNA

    Knox's DNA was found comingled with the victim's blood in five places, in visible dilute blood traces in the bathroom and elsewhere in footprints revealed with Luminol. Two Luminol traces were discovered in the room where the burglary was staged; one of these is a mixed trace. These are referred to as L1 and L2. Both traces are presumed to be blood and both contained the victim's DNA. There is no plausible explanation for this evidence that does not involve Knox being at least involved in the clean up after the murder.

    The Murder of Meredith Kercher
    Here's the rest of the DNA Evidence - Other DNA Evidence - The Murder of Meredith Kercher

    As for Belfast it's quite a large city with an urban population approaching half a million, and the Belfast Telegraph is a respected newspaper, it's also just one of many sources I used.
    Last edited by Chatter; 02-06-14 at 05:11 PM.

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    You say leap, I say logic. The message of the Sixties counter-culture was the very opposite of self-obsession; it was about communal living, loving one another, peace and anti-materialism/anti-consumerism.
    That era also was the paving of the most worthless generation to ever grace this planet. Frankly, the Baby Boomer crowd can't die off fast enough.

  9. #229
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    That era also was the paving of the most worthless generation to ever grace this planet. Frankly, the Baby Boomer crowd can't die off fast enough.
    Gee, thanks.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Amanda Knox Be Extradited to Prison in Italy?

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Gee, thanks.
    Relax, not all of you.

    Think of it in Twilight terms, but with Forrest Gump - Forrest graduated from college (Alabama, but still a college), became a war hero, started a business and became very successful. Jenny was a nomadic, drug-addled hippie who coasted through life as a loser, only to die young from her own irresponsibility.

    Are you on Team Forrest or Team Jenny? Team Forrest is the salvageable part of that generation. Team Jenny needs to die off already.

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •