View Poll Results: Do you believe in seat belt laws?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    74 62.18%
  • No

    45 37.82%
Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 543

Thread: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

  1. #81
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,493

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    It is this type of though process that has allowed our laws and regulations to become so large that not even our Federal government knows just how many federal laws are on the books today. Not counting the millions of state and local government laws and regulations.
    Look, I'm making a really simple point. Are you arguing for zero government mandated regulation or do you agree with me that there should be some government mandated regulation? I was only challenging the people suggesting the former as their sole reason for opposing mandatory seat-belts.

    Beyond that you obviously have valid questions about scope, scale and extent of those regulations (and there are indeed plenty of areas where they are too numerous and too complex) but it's impossible to discuss such questions with people who have some fundamental objection to the whole concept.

  2. #82
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Intent View Post
    Or.. they can maintain control of the vehicle, stopping it from possibly hitting other cars or people.

    The fact that you did not come out of your seat has to do with the G-forces, your mass, and the direction in which you are spinning. Your "experience" is fallacious.
    You just totally ignored what I said there. Not surprised.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #83
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    That situation is so rare, that it is pointless to bring up when discussing seat belt use/laws. Everyone should wear a seat belt every time they get in a car. It makes travelling in a car much, much safer.
    10,000 dead in 2003 due to faulty seatbelts. Rare? Depends on your POV I guess. The fact that it can happen that much is enough in my book.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #84
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,792

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    yes of course for the simple reason that people can become projectiles in sever accidents.
    and in minor ones where a person may maintain control they may lose control since they were flung around the vehicle now making them a danger to others.

    IMO pretty simple actually
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #85
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    My point exactly. Buckle up and stay in your seat. Improves your chances.
    As for seatbelts malfunction while under water. Just imaging banging your head hard on impact because you didn't wear the belt vs always keeping scissors in your glove compartment to use in case of SB malfunction.
    What do you think are your better chances?
    Like I've said before. Just depends on the circumstances of the accident you are in. There are pro's and con's to wearing seatbelts. Some situations it will save your life. In others it will kill you. As such it should be up to the individual.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #86
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    This question applies to legal adults only, not children:

    Do you believe in seat belt laws?


    a) Yes. They are nessisary to protect the public for their own good.
    b) No. I'm a consenting adult and shouldn't have to wear one if I don't want to.


    Discuss...



    Absolutely.

    I believe in them and I believe that they should be strictly enforced.

    Any law which is not enforced should be 'taken off the books'.

    Why have a law if it is not going to be enforced?

    Anyone who can't obey the laws shouldn't have a driver's license.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 01-31-14 at 10:34 AM.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    You said that as a taxpayer you have the right to mandate that people should wear seatbelts because its your tax money being used to care for them in the hospital. That is not the case any longer due to both car insurance and Obamacare mandating that people have health insurance. Not to mention you totally disregard the fact that someone might actually pay the bill by themselves which again means your tax dollars are not used.
    Well for one Obamacare may mandate that people have health insurance but it does not mean everyone actually has it, likewise your car insurance may not cover personal injury for you or someone else as mine doesn't. Secondly while its certainly possible that someone may be able to pay for post-accident healthcare out of pocket, there's no denying the large numbers of people who either can't do that or who suffer from such horrible injuries that the costs are beyond what a typical household could cover. Obviously when I mention the ER costing tax dollars I'm not talking about the people who don't cost tax dollars from their treatment. Thirdly, all hospitals and state/county/municipal governments run analysis on trends to determine the best numbers for things like number of EMTs, ambulances, doctors, nurses, beds, specialized equipment, etc, etc, etc. If less people wear seat belts then these numbers increase and the local government is either forced to expand its local emergency care system, more EMTs, more ambulances, etc all which of course cost tax dollars, or provide less care or lower quality care. Lastly, in any insurance system the more people drawing money from the system increases the demand for money going into the system, simply put the more people who draw money out of the big pool of cash that is the result of all your insurance payments, the more in payments that pool needs to stay viable, in other words the more people that get into accidents who share the same insurance providers as yourself mean you will eventually start paying higher rates or seeing less coverage.

    Wear your damn seat belt.

  8. #88
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Look, I'm making a really simple point. Are you arguing for zero government mandated regulation or do you agree with me that there should be some government mandated regulation? I was only challenging the people suggesting the former as their sole reason for opposing mandatory seat-belts.

    Beyond that you obviously have valid questions about scope, scale and extent of those regulations (and there are indeed plenty of areas where they are too numerous and too complex) but it's impossible to discuss such questions with people who have some fundamental objection to the whole concept.
    I'm argueing for limited government regulation. Not "reasonable". Not "some". Limited. Leave most things up to the individuals. For instance, I have no problem the government mandating that people prove that they can handle a vehicle via licensing. I have no problem with the government requiring that all vehicles meet certain standards of safety. I draw the line at what an individual does or doesn't do inside the vehicle so long as what they are or are not doing doesn't distract them from driving properly.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #89
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    10,000 dead in 2003 due to faulty seatbelts. Rare? Depends on your POV I guess. The fact that it can happen that much is enough in my book.
    Got a link for that?

    Even if that is true, the fact is that you are much safer when you do wear a seat belt. Seat belts save thousands of lives every year in the US, and while yes they can be faulty, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't wear a seat belt every time you get into your car. If is much more likely for you to die because of not wearing a seat belt than because of a faulty seat belt. You are much safer wearing a seat belt than no seat belt at all.

    Hell, you can choke and die while eating vegetables, doesn't mean you shouldn't eat them.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #90
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Well for one Obamacare may mandate that people have health insurance but it does not mean everyone actually has it, likewise your car insurance may not cover personal injury for you or someone else as mine doesn't. Secondly while its certainly possible that someone may be able to pay for post-accident healthcare out of pocket, there's no denying the large numbers of people who either can't do that or who suffer from such horrible injuries that the costs are beyond what a typical household could cover. Obviously when I mention the ER costing tax dollars I'm not talking about the people who don't cost tax dollars from their treatment. Thirdly, all hospitals and state/county/municipal governments run analysis on trends to determine the best numbers for things like number of EMTs, ambulances, doctors, nurses, beds, specialized equipment, etc, etc, etc. If less people wear seat belts then these numbers increase and the local government is either forced to expand its local emergency care system, more EMTs, more ambulances, etc all which of course cost tax dollars, or provide less care or lower quality care. Lastly, in any insurance system the more people drawing money from the system increases the demand for money going into the system, simply put the more people who draw money out of the big pool of cash that is the result of all your insurance payments, the more in payments that pool needs to stay viable, in other words the more people that get into accidents who share the same insurance providers as yourself mean you will eventually start paying higher rates or seeing less coverage.

    Wear your damn seat belt.
    Ok. Still I disagree with it. My taxes are mixed up in there as well. As such it pretty much nulls your taxes. Same with the rest of your objections. Not to mention with such an arguement you can use it to excuse any number of things. Including infringing on peoples Rights.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •