View Poll Results: Do you believe in seat belt laws?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    74 62.18%
  • No

    45 37.82%
Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 543

Thread: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,494

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    I support wearing seat belts. I'm also fine with insurance companies reducing or eliminating benefits for those who are injured or killed while not wearing seat belts. I'm not good with laws mandating selt belt use for adults.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,864
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Nonsense. They help to keep you conscious and in position to continue to operate the vehicle (if possible).
    Very few people can accomplish such. Usually only professional drivers. Ordinary drivers on the other hand don't react in such a manner. Most peoples first reaction is shock which will leave you temporarily unable to react to anything. Other people can black out due to the sudden change in direction or sudden stop. The only time that a driver can actually attempt to control a vehicle, and have the faculty to be able to, is when they are not hit by another vehicle but instead spin out. And I know from person experiance that a spin out will not automatically throw you from your seat.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #53
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    I know seat belts saves lives, I use them. That said, no I don't think the law should force me to use them if I don't want to use it. It's my life, I should be able to be as stupid or as smart as I want to be and if that means dying because I didn't have a seat belt on, so be it. Is it all about safety or those $150 traffic tickets and making revenue dollars for the state or counties?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #54
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    03-02-14 @ 08:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    76

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Did I say that it wouldn't keep you in your seat? Nope I didn't. My arguement from the get go has been that seat belts both save and cost people their lives. IE it has both pro's and con's. As such it should be up to the individual to decide.

    And the whole "if you don't wear a seatbelt you can potentially put other peoples lives in danger also" doesn't fly with me. Even getting in and driving the car in the first place puts other peoples lives in danger period. It is a risk that everyone accepts when they get into a car.
    You originall said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Seatbelts in no way help you control a vehicle that just got hit by another vehicle. Get real.
    To which I say malarkey, you are wrong. And yes, seat belts do cost lives. But you job is to consider others safety as well as your own, and not do things that lessen it. Seat belts save more lives than they take, and can help you maintain control of a vehicle, which is your primary job when in one.

    Just because there is assumed risk, and you decide to partake in a risky activity does not give you the right to decrease the safety of others. Never do you have that right.

  5. #55
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Do you deny that seatbelts malfunction and due to that deaths occur?



    Preventable Deaths Caused by Defective Seat Belts

    Just a quick search brought that up. Not to mention hundreds of links to sue happy lawyers that help sue in such situations.

    Happy you got some sort of statistic now? Of course I'm sure that you'll find something to fault with the article. Which is why I generally try and rely on common sense arguements.



    Oh look...its the spelling police! Quick! Hide! /sarcasm
    Are you kidding me? Arguing that because some tiny minority of seat belts fail to work properly, one should not use any of them, which guarantees that they will be ineffective, is simply insane. Would you use this argument for parachutes or motorcycle helmets as well? Did you even bother read your linked article - or simply consider it valid because it came up on your "seat belts cause death" Google search?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #56
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Very few people can accomplish such. Usually only professional drivers. Ordinary drivers on the other hand don't react in such a manner. Most peoples first reaction is shock which will leave you temporarily unable to react to anything. Other people can black out due to the sudden change in direction or sudden stop. The only time that a driver can actually attempt to control a vehicle, and have the faculty to be able to, is when they are not hit by another vehicle but instead spin out. And I know from person experiance that a spin out will not automatically throw you from your seat.
    No person, even a professional driver, can operate a vehicle if unconscious or no longer in the driver's seat. You have yet to show any harm in mandating the use of seat belts - you simply object to "gov't control" in exchange for use of public roadways.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #57
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,864
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Intent View Post
    You originall said:
    You might want to look back farther than that. My original statement in this thread was exactly what I just told you it was.

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Intent View Post
    To which I say malarkey, you are wrong. And yes, seat belts do cost lives. But you job is to consider others safety as well as your own, and not do things that lessen it. Seat belts save more lives than they take, and can help you maintain control of a vehicle, which is your primary job when in one.
    My job is to consider other peoples safety? Sorry but....No, its not. My only "job" is to protect me and mine. Everyone else can jump off a cliff for all I care.

    As for controlling the vehicle...refer to post #52.

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Intent View Post
    Just because there is assumed risk, and you decide to partake in a risky activity does not give you the right to decrease the safety of others. Never do you have that right.
    Nor do you have the right to decrease my chances of survival by making me wear something which may kill me. Its a two way street. (no pun intended)
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,864
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Are you kidding me? Arguing that because some tiny minority of seat belts fail to work properly, one should not use any of them, which guarantees that they will be ineffective, is simply insane. Would you use this argument for parachutes or motorcycle helmets as well? Did you even bother read your linked article - or simply consider it valid because it came up on your "seat belts cause death" Google search?
    See, this is why I didn't want to provide the numbers. People seem to think that just because its a "tiny minority" that it is perfectly OK to make people risk their lives using something which may kill them. I can think of a number of things which people object to or support due to only a "tiny minority" being involved. Doesn't mean that it is right to object or support.

    And why is it that when ever a person takes a stance of stating that there are both pro's and con's to something that the people responding only focus on the parts that they object to and invariably act like the person ONLY talked about what they are objecting to?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #59
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,864
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    No person, even a professional driver, can operate a vehicle if unconscious or no longer in the driver's seat. You have yet to show any harm in mandating the use of seat belts - you simply object to "gov't control" in exchange for use of public roadways.
    Considering you just quoted my post regarding 10k people killed due to seatbelts and dismissed it as a "tiny minority" I have to chuckle at this. No harm? Really? 10k people dead is no harm? (you also might want to note that was just for the year 2003)
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #60
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    See, this is why I didn't want to provide the numbers. People seem to think that just because its a "tiny minority" that it is perfectly OK to make people risk their lives using something which may kill them. I can think of a number of things which people object to or support due to only a "tiny minority" being involved. Doesn't mean that it is right to object or support.

    And why is it that when ever a person takes a stance of stating that there are both pro's and con's to something that the people responding only focus on the parts that they object to and invariably act like the person ONLY talked about what they are objecting to?
    Your link showed not such thing - it stated that faulty, i.e. inoperable, seat belts resulted in death - not that they caused the death.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •