View Poll Results: Do you believe in seat belt laws?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    74 62.18%
  • No

    45 37.82%
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 543

Thread: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

  1. #31
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,007

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    I see no necessity for the law. Let Darwin rule.
    Seriously if you don't wear one only your life is in danger so you are a moron and removing your genes from the pool is not such a bad thing. Same thing with motorcycle helmet laws or any other law that seeks to protect people from themselves.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  2. #32
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,544

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    A seatbelt can save a life. It can also take a life. As with pretty much anything there are pro's and con's to it. Just depends on the type of accident that you are in. Generally a head on collision or getting rear ended and it will be a life saver. Getting hit on the drivers side or passenger side (if there is a passenger) and it can kill you. It can also kill you if you get pushed off the road or slide off the road and land in water and become jammed. As such it should be up to the adult to wear one or not.
    Oh please....how many documented cases are there of people who died for no other reason than they were wearing a seat belt?
    Documented that they would have lived had they NOT been wearing a seat belt?

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    If the government provides my healthcare - yes.
    If I provide my healthcare - no.

  4. #34
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    If the government provides my healthcare - yes.
    If I provide my healthcare - no.
    I completely agree with this. If you are on Medicare, Medicaid, or any other form of publicly provided health care, then the taxpayers have an incentive for you to wear a seatbelt. In fact, even if you are uninsured the taxpayers have an incentive for you to wear a seatbelt because if you are seriously injured in an accident the taxpayers will be picking up the tab for it. Hence the need for seatbelt laws. There is no telling how many billions of dollars in healthcare costs that have been saved since enacting seatbelt laws.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  5. #35
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,494

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Not wearing a seatbelt has the potential to put emergency responders at more risk since it could mean the different between them treating your shattered body in the middle of the road rather than treating your bruises in the car. In an environment where there are people legally required to assist you in the event of an accident, I think it's perfectly reasonable for there to be some laws designed to reduced the severity of accidents (or indeed prevent them from happening).

    And frankly, I think the people going on about their personal freedom while completely ignoring the practical realities are self-obsessed ignorant jerks.

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,904

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    but since a person not wearing one isn't endangering anyone but themselves
    Not accurate Grim.

    Take a look at this video and see if you still come to the same conclusion.

    Passengers without seat belt may become projectiles, experts warn

    Lt. Lee Perry of the Utah Highway Patrol said he knows what happens when an unbelted driver or passenger becomes a deadly projectile in the car.

    Perry has kept photos of the first fatality accident he responded to for 21 years. It was an Easter weekend in 1992 when a driver was having trouble breathing. He said he was amazed the girl was hurt so badly because the car had been broadsided on the passenger side. "We cut the seatbelt off of her and when we did, her body came forward and we discovered her brother who wasn't wearing a seatbelt, who had been a passenger in the car, was lodged behind her body," Perry said.

    The girl's neck and back were battered by her brother's body, he said. "Because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt he became a missile," Perry said.


    The boy died on scene and the girl died at the hospital, he said.

    Read more at http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2695...CyxHVkEWL7z.99
    Passengers without seat belt may become projectiles, experts warn | KSL.com

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,788

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Seat belt laws are huge attack on liberty and just another way for the government to take money from the productive class and transfer it to the leech class.
    It is because of comments like this that I am 100% percent certain that our species is doomed.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Oh please....how many documented cases are there of people who died for no other reason than they were wearing a seat belt?
    Documented that they would have lived had they NOT been wearing a seat belt?
    Percentage or set amounts are irrlevent. Even 1 death due to a seatbelt is enough. It is a documented fact that seatbelts can malfunction. Which is what they call a jammed seatbelt. Of course they always claim that it is a manufacturing default and never admit that it could be the accident that you are in as the cause. After all, if you were a part of the government and wanted to promote something as being safe would you admit to the con's? Or would you ignore them and if its not able to be ignored, gloss it over?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #39
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,593

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    To not wear a seat belt is silly if you care about your safety. They obviously save lives in a huge way.

    BUT...I do not believe for one second that the government has the right to force you to wear them.

    If I want to further risk my life by not wearing a seat belt...that is my choice.

    Bungy jumping and recreational skydiving are not safe...should the government outlaw them as well? Of course not.

    I should be legally able to smoke crack, jump out of an airplane for fun, not wear a helmet while I ride a motorcycle, not wear seat belts or even kill myself...none of these things on their own are ANY of the government's business.

    If I wish to abuse/subject my body to greater danger...including not wearing seat belts...that should be my choice.
    Not so. You are required to wear a seat belt (only if you drive/ride on public roadways) not only for your own good but for the increased safety of others. Seat belts help keep the vehicle's occupants inside the vehicle instead of allowing them to become projectiles, ejected upon impact. These belts also help to keep the vehicle operator in a position to try to control the vehicle after the initial impact, helping to avoid secondary collisions, on our busy roadways. Having a damaged vehicle (or two) in the path of other motorists is bad enough, but adding one (or more) ejected people to the accident scene increases the danger to other motorists as they try to avoid adding themselves to the pile up.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #40
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,544

    Re: Do you believe in seat belt laws for consenting adults?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Percentage or set amounts are irrlevent.
    How utterly convenient for your argument. No need for facts here. Just personal philosophy will do.

    By the way - it's "irrelevant".

Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •