View Poll Results: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 39.74%
  • No

    40 51.28%
  • Unsure

    7 8.97%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 123

Thread: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

  1. #101
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,572

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    My vote is that he should win a couple of decades of residence in his own private room, with all of his meals and living expenses paid for by the federal government.
    How dare he inform you that your government was spying on you! The balls! Lock him in the dungeon!

    Judge: NSA domestic phone data-mining unconstitutional - CNN.com

    I guess to some people like yourself, the constitution is just a piece of paper that politicians can wipe their ass with.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    What he made public might deserve to be public, but he as a person, someone who signed his name to a document in which he promised that he would keep what he saw secret and then betrayed his employer and the oath he took/signed.
    So you think a confidentiality agreement overrules the constitution? When I was a soldier I swore to uphold and defend the constitution, and to protect the American people. His oath was essentially the same. Nowhere does it say **** about defending the honor of the politicians who made unconstitutional decisions.

    If they were murdering kids in dark rooms, would you still think he belongs in jail for reporting what happened, or is there a situation where you feel he would be justified?
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 01-30-14 at 04:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    How dare he inform you that your government was spying on you! The balls! Lock him in the dungeon!

    Judge: NSA domestic phone data-mining unconstitutional - CNN.com

    I guess to some people like yourself, the constitution is just a piece of paper that politicians can wipe their ass with.




    So you think a confidentiality agreement overrules the constitution? When I was a soldier I swore to uphold and defend the constitution, and to protect the American people. His oath was essentially the same. Nowhere does it say **** about defending the honor of the politicians who made unconstitutional decisions.

    If they were murdering kids in dark rooms, would you still think he belongs in jail for reporting what happened, or is there a situation where you feel he would be justified?
    I agree with your whole post...but the highlighted part especially.

    So many people flip out because he 'broke his oath'. What a bunch of nonsense.

    Everyone's oath should always be to do what is right..not to do wrong things just because you took an oath.

    Millions of German soldiers in WW2 took an oath not to Germany, but personally to Adolf Hitler. Does that mean that if they tried to stop the murder of innocent civilians against Hitler's specific orders that they are dishonorable? Of course not. They would be dishonorable if they didn't try and stop the murders.

    Taking an oath to something rotten (like what the NSA was doing) does not excuse you from responsibility for helping them do that rotten thing.

    You have a moral duty to decency and honor WAAAAAAY before some oath to some dumbass politician/big shot bureaucrat.

    'I was just following orders' or 'I was just doing my job' is NO excuse for bad behavior.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    No, because while he is a heroic man (regardless of whether you think he's a traitor or a hero, it takes balls of steel to snitch on the US govt) his actions didn't really promote peace. It didn't prevent a war, put an end to a war or anything of the sorts. The only thing he did was, you know... snitch on some nasty stuff that we should be thankful we know about.

    I would give him that EU prize that he didn't get last year because it went to the palistinian girl who promoted education in her country and now around the world. Malala Yousafi or smth like that. Don't get me wrong, she deserved that prize simply because she took on and defied the talibans and mainstream islamic ideology and survived. But there is no reason why this year the prize can't go to Snowden.

  4. #104
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Where's this 'peace', because of his actions?

    Paul
    Peace is subjective?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #105
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    YES. Better than that HELL YES. Although the Nobel prize is a joke, he's a billion times more deserving than POS Obama.

    He's a true American hero.
    1. He can take the Nobel if he likes. Certainly he is no worse than Arafat.

    2. He's also no hero. He's a traitorous, whiny little coward. Those so excited about his disclosures on the NSA metadata program somehow forget that the little bastard also released a crap-ton of data on our collection against foreign terrorist networks, as well as against more traditional targets, such as other nation intentions. There are a few million people in Ukraine right now who sure wish that the U.S. and Europe were able to act in concert on foreign security and provide a counter to Russia implanting a dictatorship but oh - wait - Snowden lives in Russia and is Putin's tool now, and he screwed that up.


    Sure, give him the prize. Then put him on trial, and if found guilty, have him shot.

  6. #106
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Remember that I don't believe in Rights, Dave. So far as I'm concerned the Government should have the right to do whatever checking on anyone.... You, Me, anyone else they deem necessary to ensure the security of this nation.
    Allow the government to do what ever it wanted all in the name of national security huh? Would you agree if the government made all homosexual marriages allowable? After all, it would promote more stability and would create even more homes for those children that are orphaned. How about taking guns away? After all...don't want the people rising against the government right? How about making a law which made all women the head of the household? IE: Only women can make financial decisions, decisions on how the children they bear are raised etc etc. Men are more violent than women after all. How about do away with voting altogether? After all...big gov knows better!

    Soooo many things wrong with the "government should be allowed to do anything when it comes to national security" arguement.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #107
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,572

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    1. He can take the Nobel if he likes. Certainly he is no worse than Arafat.

    2. He's also no hero. He's a traitorous, whiny little coward. Those so excited about his disclosures on the NSA metadata program somehow forget that the little bastard also released a crap-ton of data on our collection against foreign terrorist networks, as well as against more traditional targets, such as other nation intentions. There are a few million people in Ukraine right now who sure wish that the U.S. and Europe were able to act in concert on foreign security and provide a counter to Russia implanting a dictatorship but oh - wait - Snowden lives in Russia and is Putin's tool now, and he screwed that up.


    Sure, give him the prize. Then put him on trial, and if found guilty, have him shot.
    I don't really have any interest in starting a debate with you on this subject because you've made it quite clear in the past that you will trade any amount of liberty for any amount of security. I think that's completely a coward's position, but you've heard me say that before.

    Obama concedes NSA bulk collection of phone data may be unnecessary | World news | theguardian.com
    Judge: NSA domestic phone data-mining unconstitutional - CNN.com

    Oh, and you're completely pulling the Russia bit out of your ass. We're totally powerless to stop Russia controlling Ukraine, all because of Snowden's leaks. How ridiculous.


    I'll just leave you with a quote from the man in your avatar:

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ~ Ben Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    1. He can take the Nobel if he likes. Certainly he is no worse than Arafat.

    2. He's also no hero. He's a traitorous, whiny little coward. Those so excited about his disclosures on the NSA metadata program somehow forget that the little bastard also released a crap-ton of data on our collection against foreign terrorist networks, as well as against more traditional targets, such as other nation intentions. There are a few million people in Ukraine right now who sure wish that the U.S. and Europe were able to act in concert on foreign security and provide a counter to Russia implanting a dictatorship but oh - wait - Snowden lives in Russia and is Putin's tool now, and he screwed that up.


    Sure, give him the prize. Then put him on trial, and if found guilty, have him shot.
    'he·ro noun \ˈhir-(ˌ)ō\
    : a person who is admired for great or brave acts or fine qualities

    : a person who is greatly admired

    : the chief male character in a story, play, movie, etc.'

    Hero - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    Snowden IS admired for what he did by many - including myself, Ron Paul and many others on here and across America.

    That means by definition he IS a hero.

  9. #109
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I don't really have any interest in starting a debate with you on this subject because you've made it quite clear in the past that you will trade any amount of liberty for any amount of security. I think that's completely a coward's position, but you've heard me say that before.

    Obama concedes NSA bulk collection of phone data may be unnecessary | World news | theguardian.com
    Judge: NSA domestic phone data-mining unconstitutional - CNN.com

    Oh, and you're completely pulling the Russia bit out of your ass. We're totally powerless to stop Russia controlling Ukraine, all because of Snowden's leaks. How ridiculous.


    I'll just leave you with a quote from the man in your avatar:

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ~ Ben Franklin
    you are confusing my point with your own. I am not defending or attacking the NSA metadata collection program (which you mistakingly identify as "any amount of liberty"; especially given that the data was already being collected and stored); because that issue is separate from the question of whether or not Snowden is a hero.

    If you want to tie the program and your opposition to it to Snowden, then you need to explain why your "hero" also exposed our collection methods against foreign targets, such terrorist networks and hostile nation-states. Those are not the actions of a "hero" attempting to defend the American people from their own government, those are the actions of someone endangering the American people from other actors for personal benefit. I have yet to see any of Snowden's defenders even attempt to defend the majority of his disclosures which have nothing whatsoever to do with US government domestic collection.

    In the meantime, those who continue to defend Snowden out of some misplaced sense that they have to elevate him in order to dislike the metadata program only demonstrate the binary unseriousness of their movement. Slavery wasn't awesome because it allowed a bunch of black people to live in the relatively wonderful nation that is America today, WWII wasn't wonderful because it allowed us to access nuclear energy, and Snowden isn't a hero because one of the many pieces of classified information he exposed happened to be about a program you don't like.





    Oh, and incidentally, the Russia thing isn't bunk at all. Snowden made his deal with the devil, and he is now Putin's tool. There is precisely zero coincidence in the fact that he did his best to damage US-Euro relations right before Russia made a play for Ukraine.
    Last edited by cpwill; 01-31-14 at 11:35 AM.

  10. #110
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    What he made public might deserve to be public, but he as a person, someone who signed his name to a document in which he promised that he would keep what he saw secret and then betrayed his employer and the oath he took/signed.
    Essentially, you feel that any existing limits to a government's reach/power can be effectively and legitimately negated if all you do is get employees to sign a piece of paper stating that they will play along.

    How convenient.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •