View Poll Results: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 39.74%
  • No

    40 51.28%
  • Unsure

    7 8.97%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 123

Thread: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

  1. #91
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    (he has been nominated, apparently)
    I think Snowden should eventually receive an amnesty (not right now) and that his acts have served a greater good (unlike Manning). However I just have to imagine that there are more worthy choices out there that directly relate to the maintenance of peace and avoidance of bloodshed. Even someone like Francois Hollande who I'd wager has saved more lives by his decision to dispatch troops to Bangui than Snowden ever has or will. It just doesn't seem like an award that fits in my mind.

  2. #92
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I think Snowden should eventually receive an amnesty (not right now) and that his acts have served a greater good (unlike Manning). However I just have to imagine that there are more worthy choices out there that directly relate to the maintenance of peace and avoidance of bloodshed. Even someone like Francois Hollande who I'd wager has saved more lives by his decision to dispatch troops to Bangui than Snowden ever has or will. It just doesn't seem like an award that fits in my mind.
    You make a good point. I think it's one of those things while he didn't necessarily save any lives, he might have a significant impact on peaceful future relations between the U.S. and others. Possibly. It's a long shot. And I'm grasping for the reasoning, but if his actions were to result in these blatantly over reaching programs to be rolled back and oriented in a way that doesn't result in us violating our citizens privacy or that of citizens of other countries then this could be, in a sense, disarming an international time bomb. Or at least containing the damage.

    I don't know. Like I said, I'm grasping.

    I said yes because I lean more that he should than he shouldn't, if that make sense. But I don't really hold the Nobel Peace Prize in very high regard right now. I'm not an Obama hater but I just don't understand how you give it to him. It "cheapens" it to me I guess.
    *insert profound statement here*

  3. #93
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    And you believe him? Who has these files again?
    He reportedly turned it all over to the Washington Post and Guardian. There is no reason for him to keep them. If you're going to sell them or give them to the enemy then you just do that. You don't give them over to the media first. What would be the point? I can promise you the Chinese or the Russians could get that info from those news organizations a lot easier than they could get it from inside NSA.

    Short answer, he has no reason to lie.
    *insert profound statement here*

  4. #94
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Short answer, he has no reason to lie.
    This is very crucial. He's been living in exile, in less than desirable circumstances. Someday he might make some money on a book deal...but as of now, he has yet to gain anything from this aside from a target on his head. He did not do this for personal gain. It was to help the American people and the world understand the insidious nature of their government, and the extent of their overreach.

  5. #95
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Nobel Peace Prize? Nah.

    Time Magazine's Man of the Year? Sure. You bet.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The NSA and those who authorized them to spy on Americans are basically wiping their asshole clean with the 4th amendment and Snowden is the traitor?
    What he made public might deserve to be public, but he as a person, someone who signed his name to a document in which he promised that he would keep what he saw secret and then betrayed his employer and the oath he took/signed.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  7. #97
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    What he made public might deserve to be public, but he as a person, someone who signed his name to a document in which he promised that he would keep what he saw secret and then betrayed his employer and the oath he took/signed.
    However there is a breakpoint with regard to that paper you sign, or oath you take. When it becomes apparent that the company you are working for is helping the government breach public trust and undermine the security of this nation (from it's own government), you then do something different...called whistle blowing.
    *insert profound statement here*

  8. #98
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    What he made public might deserve to be public, but he as a person, someone who signed his name to a document in which he promised that he would keep what he saw secret and then betrayed his employer and the oath he took/signed.
    Last I checked elected officials take an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #99
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    My vote is that he should win a couple of decades of residence in his own private room, with all of his meals and living expenses paid for by the federal government.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Should Edward Snowden win the Nobel Peace Prize?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    My vote is that he should win a couple of decades of residence in his own private room, with all of his meals and living expenses paid for by the federal government.
    Stick it to the 53% who actually pay individual income taxes.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •