View Poll Results: Do you support school choice?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    69 67.65%
  • Yes but with certain exceptions. (Please list those exceptions.)

    16 15.69%
  • No, students should only go to schools in their public school district.

    4 3.92%
  • other

    10 9.80%
  • I do not know

    3 2.94%
Page 54 of 65 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 643

Thread: Do you support school choice?

  1. #531
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,902

    Re: Do you support school choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Public school funds would be depleted because public schools have many fixed costs for building maintenance and utilities, non-teaching staffing, administration etc. It would take several years of reduced enrollment and a lot of process to lay off the unneeded employees and sell the under used and unused properties. Public schools also have mandates to provide special education and disability access for the students that need it, and those students are unlikely to be attractive to private schools since many of them would bring down the test scores and/or cost more to accommodate and educate.
    What I find troubling over several pages full of your posts is your lack of concern for the poor quality of education students are receiving in many classrooms across this country. You have all kinds of excuses for why you are against vouchers but NONE of them focus on the child. For your information, the beauty of vouchers has opened the door for schools to open up that deal specifically with learning disabilities and those with physical disabilities. They are actually saving Departments of Education a whole lot of money. For example, if a child has a physical disability, the school must provide means for that child to get to his classes. If the school has stairs, the school must install an elevator. It must also provide an aid that can help the child when he needs to use the restroom and possibly aid in helping with lunch. These things costs school districts/taxpayers a good amount of money. If the child has a learning disability, the school must provide an aid to assist the child in completing his work. Another expense that does not come cheap. Charter schools, however, that specialize in disability have facilities that are designed to accommodate these students. There are staff members on hand to aid these students in things like using the restroom to cafeteria that are provided through the tuition. They also have high tech computer labs to assist the student in completing his/her work without having to battle with their physical impairments which a lot of school districts can not afford.

    There's a big blowout occurring across this country how school districts have too dang many un-needed administrators collecting a fine wage and benefits. I know I am living in such a district. I also know there are such things as bad teachers and because of a thing called tenure and the teacher's union it takes a boatload of money and two years of litigation to get one removed.

    Now my state "OHIO" is probably the leader in breaking ground on vouchers as we have extended their use far beyond any other state and we have seen nothing but success from the program. We have seen graduation rates increased which means fewer children became statistics. We have scholarship programs for the disabled. We have scholarship programs those kids living in poor performing school districts to have an opportunity to attend a district that is providing excellence. Vouchers can be used to attend another public school if they have agreed to be part of the program. All scholarships to charter and public schools are handled through the Ohio Department of Education. The program is truly about the children NOT about the teachers, the administrators, or the unions.

  2. #532
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Do you support school choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    What I find troubling over several pages full of your posts is your lack of concern for the poor quality of education students are receiving in many classrooms across this country. You have all kinds of excuses for why you are against vouchers but NONE of them focus on the child. For your information, the beauty of vouchers has opened the door for schools to open up that deal specifically with learning disabilities and those with physical disabilities. They are actually saving Departments of Education a whole lot of money. For example, if a child has a physical disability, the school must provide means for that child to get to his classes. If the school has stairs, the school must install an elevator. It must also provide an aid that can help the child when he needs to use the restroom and possibly aid in helping with lunch. These things costs school districts/taxpayers a good amount of money. If the child has a learning disability, the school must provide an aid to assist the child in completing his work. Another expense that does not come cheap. Charter schools, however, that specialize in disability have facilities that are designed to accommodate these students. There are staff members on hand to aid these students in things like using the restroom to cafeteria that are provided through the tuition. They also have high tech computer labs to assist the student in completing his/her work without having to battle with their physical impairments which a lot of school districts can not afford.

    There's a big blowout occurring across this country how school districts have too dang many un-needed administrators collecting a fine wage and benefits. I know I am living in such a district. I also know there are such things as bad teachers and because of a thing called tenure and the teacher's union it takes a boatload of money and two years of litigation to get one removed.

    Now my state "OHIO" is probably the leader in breaking ground on vouchers as we have extended their use far beyond any other state and we have seen nothing but success from the program. We have seen graduation rates increased which means fewer children became statistics. We have scholarship programs for the disabled. We have scholarship programs those kids living in poor performing school districts to have an opportunity to attend a district that is providing excellence. Vouchers can be used to attend another public school if they have agreed to be part of the program. All scholarships to charter and public schools are handled through the Ohio Department of Education. The program is truly about the children NOT about the teachers, the administrators, or the unions.
    Very well stated, Vesper! I only had one example of a student who transferred to a charter school, but what I saw was enough to convince me that they're a great thing for students who are a little above average. He was bored, until he transferred to a charter school, where he was apparently challenged scholastically, and it made a huge difference in his attitude toward learning. He actually liked going to school, and became much happier, according to his mom.

    Greetings, Vesper.

  3. #533
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,902

    Re: Do you support school choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Very well stated, Vesper! I only had one example of a student who transferred to a charter school, but what I saw was enough to convince me that they're a great thing for students who are a little above average. He was bored, until he transferred to a charter school, where he was apparently challenged scholastically, and it made a huge difference in his attitude toward learning. He actually liked going to school, and became much happier, according to his mom.

    Greetings, Vesper.
    Hi Polgara. I have a nephew who has a disability. He is a very bright young man but due to his disability it takes him much longer to complete a task. He also wears braces and walks with a walker. When he is having a bad day he needs his wheelchair. He could keep up while he was in elementary school confined to one room, but when he was faced with middle school and changing classes, it became an issue for him. Just getting from one class to the next became physically overtaxing. Thanks to Ohio's school voucher program he can now attend a school that accommodates his needs. Cheers!

  4. #534
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Do you support school choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Hi Polgara. I have a nephew who has a disability. He is a very bright young man but due to his disability it takes him much longer to complete a task. He also wears braces and walks with a walker. When he is having a bad day he needs his wheelchair. He could keep up while he was in elementary school confined to one room, but when he was faced with middle school and changing classes, it became an issue for him. Just getting from one class to the next became physically overtaxing. Thanks to Ohio's school voucher program he can now attend a school that accommodates his needs. Cheers!
    So it is apparently a good solution for both...one who needed more stimulus, and one who had physical limitations! Who wouldn't approve of that? Win-Win! Good for Ohio!

  5. #535
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Do you support school choice?

    In most of RED America, there is only ONE school system to choose, the one in their town .
    Physics is Phun

  6. #536
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,902

    Re: Do you support school choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    So it is apparently a good solution for both...one who needed more stimulus, and one who had physical limitations! Who wouldn't approve of that? Win-Win! Good for Ohio!
    Yes good for Ohio. But other states should look at the success we have had so they too can adopt some of the same programs or better yet improve on them.

  7. #537
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Do you support school choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Yes good for Ohio. But other states should look at the success we have had so they too can adopt some of the same programs or better yet improve on them.
    Do you know how this is being handled in other states? As I stated in my post, I only knew of the one instance because it was the son of a friend of mine. What happens to physically limited children where they don't have these options?

  8. #538
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,902

    Re: Do you support school choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Do you know how this is being handled in other states? As I stated in my post, I only knew of the one instance because it was the son of a friend of mine. What happens to physically limited children where they don't have these options?
    Polgara, each state has their own set of "rules". Many allow charters but few allow vouchers. And some don't allow either. In some states it would be fair to state if you have a child that is disabled whether that be physically or a learning disability you are up a creek without a paddle.

  9. #539
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Do you support school choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Polgara, each state has their own set of "rules". Many allow charters but few allow vouchers. And some don't allow either. In some states it would be fair to state if you have a child that is disabled whether that be physically or a learning disability you are up a creek without a paddle.
    Schools are supposed to be places for children to learn. It sounds like it isn't all inclusive. Sad...

  10. #540
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,902

    Re: Do you support school choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Schools are supposed to be places for children to learn. It sounds like it isn't all inclusive. Sad...
    The more states allow the federal government to instill an education program that pretty much promotes a one size fits all agenda then those who don't fit into the "agenda" will be left out. I am so pleased with how Ohio is addressing the needs of ALL children through the voucher program. No longer does a student who happens to live in a district that does not perform well have to put up with it. Nor does the one with a child with learning disabilities or physical disabilities have to be beholden to a bureaucratic system that can not begin to meet their needs. What Ohio has done is put the needs of the child first. May the rest of the states follow in kind.

Page 54 of 65 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •