View Poll Results: Is the Media Matters story below fact or fiction?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fact - Glenn Beck reported the woman's story as fact

    11 64.71%
  • Fiction - The Media Matters assertion is false. Beck did not report the woman's claim as fact

    6 35.29%
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 215

Thread: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

  1. #1
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,139
    Blog Entries
    20

    Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    I realize this is an old story, but it was recently revived and unfortunately the discussion reached a stalemate... so I thought I'd let the members of the forum decide the issue.

    Media Matters back in 2009 posted a story in which the headline read:

    "Fox News reports fake murder story from ACORN video as fact"


    An ACORN worker said on an undercover video that 10 year ago, she had shot and killer her abusive husband. The very first example they used to support their allegation was from Glenn Beck's show the day the video was released. Media Matters posted a partial transcript from the show where he had played the video and was discussing it's content. At the end of that partial transcript, they included the following quote from Beck:

    "...but we haven't been even able to confirm from the state of California whether Tresa's husband from 10 years ago was killed, or if he's dead, or if she even had a husband. Did she make the story up? I don't know."


    So the question is....

    Is that quote from Glenn Beck an example of Fox News reporting that woman's murder claim as fact, or is this an example of Media Matters fiction?



    The video of that woman's claim is included in the YouTube clip of that segment from Glenn Beck's show, which you can view here:
    Prostitute Hannah and Pimp expose even more ACORN corruption in San Bernardino with Tresa Kaelke - YouTube

  2. #2
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,139
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    I don't know about you all, but the answer is obvious to me.

    How can it possibly be a case of Beck reporting her story as fact, when he says he doesn't know a) if her husband was killed b) if he is actually dead c) if she even had a husband and d) says he doesn't know if she just made the story up...

    It's a slam dunk... It's Media Matters fiction.

  3. #3
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,948
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I don't know about you all, but the answer is obvious to me.

    How can it possibly be a case of Beck reporting her story as fact, when he says he doesn't know a) if her husband was killed b) if he is actually dead c) if she even had a husband and d) says he doesn't know if she just made the story up...

    It's a slam dunk... It's Media Matters fiction.
    Not at all that surprising if you ask me.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    I have to pick between Glenn Beck and Media Matters? I'd rather kill myself thanks.

  5. #5
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I realize this is an old story, but it was recently revived and unfortunately the discussion reached a stalemate... so I thought I'd let the members of the forum decide the issue.

    Media Matters back in 2009 posted a story in which the headline read:

    "Fox News reports fake murder story from ACORN video as fact"


    An ACORN worker said on an undercover video that 10 year ago, she had shot and killer her abusive husband. The very first example they used to support their allegation was from Glenn Beck's show the day the video was released. Media Matters posted a partial transcript from the show where he had played the video and was discussing it's content. At the end of that partial transcript, they included the following quote from Beck:

    "...but we haven't been even able to confirm from the state of California whether Tresa's husband from 10 years ago was killed, or if he's dead, or if she even had a husband. Did she make the story up? I don't know."


    So the question is....

    Is that quote from Glenn Beck an example of Fox News reporting that woman's murder claim as fact, or is this an example of Media Matters fiction?



    The video of that woman's claim is included in the YouTube clip of that segment from Glenn Beck's show, which you can view here:
    Prostitute Hannah and Pimp expose even more ACORN corruption in San Bernardino with Tresa Kaelke - YouTube
    From the Media Matters Link:

    After Andrew Breitbart posted a video of an ACORN employee in San Bernardino, California, claiming that she had killed her ex-husband, Fox News' Glenn Beck, Karl Rove, Greta Van Susteren, and Sean Hannity promoted it without fact-checking it or indicating that they had contacted ACORN for a response to the claim. In fact, ACORN stated that the employee made up the story because she recognized that the actors in the video "were clearly playing with" her so she "matched their false scenario with her own false scenarios," and, indeed, the San Bernardino Police Department has said her claim is false.

    The mere fact they showed the video is proof that they all reported it as fact. Are they not the "We report you decide" Network? They reported the phony story as fact and there is no way out. Isn't strange that Media Matters knew thew truth about the woman's story and the mighty Fox News channel did not know?

  6. #6
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,139
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I have to pick between Glenn Beck and Media Matters? I'd rather kill myself thanks.
    This isn't about either one of them, this is about the truth...

    I feel sorry for anyone who allows anything, especially politics, to prevent them from acknowledging facts or the truth.

  7. #7
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I realize this is an old story, but it was recently revived and unfortunately the discussion reached a stalemate... so I thought I'd let the members of the forum decide the issue.

    Media Matters back in 2009 posted a story in which the headline read:

    "Fox News reports fake murder story from ACORN video as fact"


    An ACORN worker said on an undercover video that 10 year ago, she had shot and killer her abusive husband. The very first example they used to support their allegation was from Glenn Beck's show the day the video was released. Media Matters posted a partial transcript from the show where he had played the video and was discussing it's content. At the end of that partial transcript, they included the following quote from Beck:

    "...but we haven't been even able to confirm from the state of California whether Tresa's husband from 10 years ago was killed, or if he's dead, or if she even had a husband. Did she make the story up? I don't know."


    So the question is....

    Is that quote from Glenn Beck an example of Fox News reporting that woman's murder claim as fact, or is this an example of Media Matters fiction?



    The video of that woman's claim is included in the YouTube clip of that segment from Glenn Beck's show, which you can view here:
    Prostitute Hannah and Pimp expose even more ACORN corruption in San Bernardino with Tresa Kaelke - YouTube
    Great example. Didn't you say that stories this old are not credible examples??
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  8. #8
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    This isn't about either one of them, this is about the truth...

    I feel sorry for anyone who allows anything, especially politics, to prevent them from acknowledging facts or the truth.
    What does it really matter at this time.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  9. #9
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-30-17 @ 05:25 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    61

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    It looks like there are a lot of layers of deception on this one.

    I'm reminded of Lou Costello hollering out, "I don't even know what I'm talking about!"

    But maybe I'm being hasty. If I've digested everything I read above, then it does look like Fox Nooz did report something that made their ideological foe look bad without being too particular about verification. And it looks like Media Matters reported just that.

  10. #10
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,139
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Great example. Didn't you say that stories this old are not credible examples??
    There is no time limit on truth...

    I see you haven't voted, is there a reason for that? All it requires is an understanding of the English language and being honest.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •