View Poll Results: Is the Media Matters story below fact or fiction?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fact - Glenn Beck reported the woman's story as fact

    11 64.71%
  • Fiction - The Media Matters assertion is false. Beck did not report the woman's claim as fact

    6 35.29%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 215

Thread: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

  1. #31
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    The media didn't verify the documents and claims of Edward Snowden before reporting on them, and this was no different.

    If the video would have been shot by Fox News or someone on Beck's team, then I would have expected them to verify whether she was a killer, or just a disturbed pathological liar before going public with the video. But this video was not only shot by an independent source, it had already been released to the public hours before so was already out there, making it fair game to discuss.

    Whether true or false, her telling perfect strangers that she shot and killed her husband was a perfectly legitimate story to report on, because it makes her either a killer, or a total psycho, neither of which is acceptable behavior for an employee of a government funded community service agency, that offers free advice and assistance to the public.

    What you choose to ignore, is that the story wasn't "ACORN worker shot and killed her husband"... The story was "ACORN worker claims she shot and killed her husband". Irregardless, the question posed is whether Beck expressed to his audience that her claims had not been validated, or he said nothing, leading them to believe that what she said on that tape was in fact true, just as both yourself and the Media Matters story claim.

    Logic and truth are not the enemy... Give them a try sometime.
    Now I see what the real story is, you hate anything that doesn't have the GOP mark on it... sad...
    Must have been a slow news weekend.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    JoCo Kansas
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    373

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    The media didn't verify the documents and claims of Edward Snowden before reporting on them, and this was no different.

    If the video would have been shot by Fox News or someone on Beck's team, then I would have expected them to verify whether she was a killer, or just a disturbed pathological liar before going public with the video. But this video was not only shot by an independent source, it had already been released to the public hours before so was already out there, making it fair game to discuss.

    Whether true or false, her telling perfect strangers that she shot and killed her husband was a perfectly legitimate story to report on, because it makes her either a killer, or a total psycho, neither of which is acceptable behavior for an employee of a government funded community service agency, that offers free advice and assistance to the public.

    What you choose to ignore, is that the story wasn't "ACORN worker shot and killed her husband"... The story was "ACORN worker claims she shot and killed her husband". Irregardless, the question posed is whether Beck expressed to his audience that her claims had not been validated, or he said nothing, leading them to believe that what she said on that tape was in fact true, just as both yourself and the Media Matters story claim.

    Logic and truth are not the enemy... Give them a try sometime.
    But claiming to be a pimp and a hooker is perfectly reasonable and sane. Seems legit.

  3. #33
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Technically he did not report it as fact, he was "just asking questions," which is typical of Fox News and Glenn Beck in particular. This way, they aren't technically lying to you, they just get to report lies. The other common method is "People are saying Barack Obama ate a puppy yesterday." Yes, technically some people are saying that. Like the crazy person you just had on your show, Hannity. But if your organization was a legitimate news organization you would have bothered to check and see if Obama had actually eaten a puppy, discovered he hadn't, and then not reported it as news.

    Using the same ACORN situation, Fox News' Morning Dip****s show had James O'Keefe on the air soon after the "scandal." O'Keefe was dressed in the pimp outfit you saw in the video on Fox News. One of the idiots on the morning show mentioned he'd worn that in the ACORN office. O'Keefe didn't deny it, but he didn't affirm it either. Technically O'Keefe didn't lie. Now, anyone could have known for a fact that O'Keefe hadn't actually worn that outfit in the ACORN office. This information was out there. The impression from the video tape was false. His excuse was "Oh that was just B-roll stuff!" But Fox n Friends didn't check.

    Because nobody on that network is actually a journalist. They are a network devoted to pushing an agenda and will do anything and everything to further that agenda. They'll even actually tell lies, deliberately. They fought a wrongful termination lawsuit regarding that, and their defense was that lying on the news isn't illegal, so firing reporters for refusing to lie isn't wrongful termination covered by whistleblower laws.

    So, did Glenn Beck lie? Not technically. But the effect and intention is still to deceive you.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #34
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    I'm guessing they are both untrue
    ^Winner^

    Glenn Beck runs a scandalous story on a political organization, then notes afterward they they have no idea it is true.

    It's like me going on a lengthy tirade about how Wiseone is a seat sniffer, but at the very end going "but be aware I have no idea if this character destroying story is true or not".

    Classic slimeball journalism.

    And not to be outdone, media matters run a false headline stating that fox news (not even glenn beck) reported it as fact (which they clearly didn't do)

    Fact is, neither of you guys have any respect for truth. You both are partisans hawking the wares of some 2-bit dealer that no one of intelligence has any interest in
    Last edited by Dr. Chuckles; 01-28-14 at 08:39 PM.

  5. #35
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,135
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    ^Winner^

    Glenn Beck runs a scandalous story on a political organization, then notes afterward they they have no idea it is true.

    It's like me going on a lengthy tirade about how Wiseone is a seat sniffer, but at the very end going "but be aware I have no idea if this character destroying story is true or not".
    Are you joking?

    How about a fair comparison like this:

    It's like watching a video of Wiseone telling people in his office he's a seat sniffer and then me going on a lengthy tirade about how Wiseone is a seat sniffer, but at the very end going "but be aware I have no idea if his character destroying story is true or not".

    See the difference?

    ...media matters run a false headline stating that fox news (not even glenn beck) reported it as fact (which they clearly didn't do)
    Ding ding ding... We have a winner.

    Fact is, neither of you guys have any respect for truth.
    That's either a lie, or you have me confused with someone else.

    You may not like my posts, my political beliefs, or me personally, but you won't find anyone on this forum that respects and adhere's to the truth more than I do. It's by far the most important value I hold sacred, especially when it comes to discussing politics.
    Last edited by Grim17; 01-28-14 at 08:53 PM.

  6. #36
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,135
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Technically he did not report it as fact, he was "just asking questions,"
    Was he asking questions or answering them when he stated:

    "...but we haven't been even able to confirm from the state of California whether Tresa's husband from 10 years ago was killed, or if he's dead, or if she even had a husband. Did she make the story up? I don't know."

  7. #37
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,135
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E Buster View Post
    But claiming to be a pimp and a hooker is perfectly reasonable and sane. Seems legit.
    Are you saying that he reported what she said as fact, or did he tell his audience that he didn't know if what she claimed was true?

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    JoCo Kansas
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    373

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Are you saying that he reported what she said as fact, or did he tell his audience that he didn't know if what she claimed was true?
    Look man, I know you claim to be a big fan of the truth and I believe you. But you don't seem to be hip to the whole truth.

  9. #39
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,135
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E Buster View Post
    Look man, I know you claim to be a big fan of the truth and I believe you. But you don't seem to be hip to the whole truth.
    Look, this poll question is cut and dry... There is no half truth or gray area here.

    The mistake that people keep making here, is believing that this video and subsequent story was predicated on her claims being true... That's just not the case here. Assuming it was known prior to the release of the video that her story was fabricated, her lying and telling clients off the streets that she shot and killed her husband, is wholly inappropriate behavior, and brings into question how this woman was ever allowed to hold such a position in the first place.

    Don't you see, it was still a legitimate story either way, otherwise they wouldn't have aired it prior to verifying her claim.

  10. #40
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    The mistake that people keep making here, is believing that this video and subsequent story was predicated on her claims being true... That's just not the case here. Assuming it was known prior to the release of the video that her story was fabricated, her lying and telling clients off the streets that she shot and killed her husband, is wholly inappropriate behavior, and brings into question how this woman was ever allowed to hold such a position in the first place.
    Look, this poll question is cut and dry... There is no half truth or gray area here.
    The only consistency I see here is that people are not seeing the story as cut and dry as you do. Yet you refuse to consider anything other then "everyone else has got it wrong".

    Don't you see, it was still a legitimate story either way, otherwise they wouldn't have aired it prior to verifying her claim.
    You are changing your complaint here. Are you challenging the legitimacy of the story or the accuracy of MM? If it's the story, then what story? The story of a murderer working for ACORN or of a liar working for ACORN? and it is only a legitimate story if you get your facts right and your accusations straight. Otherwise you're just throwing a handful of **** at the wall to see what sticks.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •