View Poll Results: Is the Media Matters story below fact or fiction?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fact - Glenn Beck reported the woman's story as fact

    11 64.71%
  • Fiction - The Media Matters assertion is false. Beck did not report the woman's claim as fact

    6 35.29%
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 215

Thread: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

  1. #171
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I believe that would have been Santorum.

    Given the wide range of positions and perspectives included in the Republican party tent, as it is a big tent, the ideal candidate would seem to be a mix of both social and fiscal conservatism, but not too much of either, nor too extreme of either.
    Santorum had problems because on social issues he had a history of making controversial statments
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  2. #172
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    For one thing, I asked you not to cite MM but sobeit.
    For another, the woman allegedly making up her story shouldn't have let anyone leave without telling them she was making it up.
    For yet another thing, the reporting appears to have been accurate, no? She made those claims and they reported she made those claims.

    Look ... if I were you I'd reconsider knee-jerk defenses of ACORN given their, um, ethical proclivities.
    Sorry I was in a hurry earlier... Breakfast, shower...etc
    I don't know if I can prove to Beck meant to misled his audience, however it seems to me he would have spent a considerable amount of time explaining his reservations about the woman's story before showing the video. As it was, three minutes and 18 seconds in the video below before he said anything and even then it only consumed about 10 seconds at that. You could have sneezed and missed it. And if this was a legitimate story, why didn't Fox's news readers cover it? Watch the video and use your common sense.


  3. #173
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,948
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Santorum had problems because on social issues he had a history of making controversial statments
    True, and hence his candidacy didn't go the distance.

  4. #174
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,139
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Sorry I was in a hurry earlier... Breakfast, shower...etc
    I don't know if I can prove to Beck meant to misled his audience, however it seems to me he would have spent a considerable amount of time explaining his reservations about the woman's story before showing the video. As it was, three minutes and 18 seconds in the video below before he said anything and even then it only consumed about 10 seconds at that. You could have sneezed and missed it. And if this was a legitimate story, why didn't Fox's news readers cover it? Watch the video and use your common sense.
    Look Pete, you keep missing what the point of the video was in the first place. It wasn't to expose a murderer, or to uncover some secret killing, it was to expose yet another nut job within the ACORN organization that was acting in a very inappropriate and unprofessional manner.

    Regardless of the facts behind the claims she made, her making them was totally inappropriate behavior period. There is absolutely no justification for what she said in that video... None. Her job was to offer assistance and advice to the people of the community they served, and you just don't say things like that to the public, especially when you are representing a government sponsored public service organization.

    Like I've said a hundred times, this was never billed as "confession of a murderer", it was billed as "look at the story this nut told".

    What I'll never understand, is how you or anyone else would believe that the people watching this story, could have possibly walked away thinking that a murderer worked for ACORN, when it was stated quite clearly that they didn't know if it was true, and never once did anyone at Fox who showed the video say such a thing. Just because some lady said it, doesn't make it true, and even if a person were to watch the video without anyones commentary, I can't imagine they would walk away believing the woman was some murderer who had escaped justice... It just goes to show the powerful effects that politics can have on some people.

  5. #175
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    What is your opinion of people posing as a pimp and a ho with a story about bringing minors into a life of prostitution?
    Are you trying to equate the two situations?

  6. #176
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Are you trying to equate the two situations?
    Absolutely.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #177
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Look Pete, you keep missing what the point of the video was in the first place. It wasn't to expose a murderer, or to uncover some secret killing, it was to expose yet another nut job within the ACORN organization that was acting in a very inappropriate and unprofessional manner.

    Regardless of the facts behind the claims she made, her making them was totally inappropriate behavior period. There is absolutely no justification for what she said in that video... None. Her job was to offer assistance and advice to the people of the community they served, and you just don't say things like that to the public, especially when you are representing a government sponsored public service organization.

    Like I've said a hundred times, this was never billed as "confession of a murderer", it was billed as "look at the story this nut told".

    What I'll never understand, is how you or anyone else would believe that the people watching this story, could have possibly walked away thinking that a murderer worked for ACORN, when it was stated quite clearly that they didn't know if it was true, and never once did anyone at Fox who showed the video say such a thing. Just because some lady said it, doesn't make it true, and even if a person were to watch the video without anyones commentary, I can't imagine they would walk away believing the woman was some murderer who had escaped justice... It just goes to show the powerful effects that politics can have on some people.
    Grim, your are sadly misguided, ACORN was not an organization filled with "nut jobs". James O'Keefe made them look that way in previous videos by editing them. He didn't go there to expose anything, he went there to embarrass them by presenting them with false scenarios. She recognized they were playing with her, so she offered her own false scenario.

    You stated that Beck said he didn't know if her story was true which he did. But certainly gave credence to it. Here is what he said before showing the video:


    BECK: If you didn't think that there should have been an investigation before, what I'm going to show you tonight will boggle your mind, and, if at the end of the hour, you still don't think there should be a rigorous investigation and you wonder why, if we want to figure out how the president wants to community organize, why he's surrounding himself with members of ACORN, well, then, I don't know what else to do.

    For the remainder of the hour, we're going to take this video apart piece by piece, because, this one, not only involves prostitution, illegal aliens, tax corruption, and fraud, but also an admission of a woman killing her husband. Remember, this is now the fourth city.
    I think that qualifies as showing the video as fact.

  8. #178
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,139
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Grim, your are sadly misguided, ACORN was not an organization filled with "nut jobs". James O'Keefe made them look that way in previous videos by editing them. He didn't go there to expose anything, he went there to embarrass them by presenting them with false scenarios. She recognized they were playing with her, so she offered her own false scenario.

    You stated that Beck said he didn't know if her story was true which he did. But certainly gave credence to it. Here is what he said before showing the video:


    BECK: If you didn't think that there should have been an investigation before, what I'm going to show you tonight will boggle your mind, and, if at the end of the hour, you still don't think there should be a rigorous investigation and you wonder why, if we want to figure out how the president wants to community organize, why he's surrounding himself with members of ACORN, well, then, I don't know what else to do.

    For the remainder of the hour, we're going to take this video apart piece by piece, because, this one, not only involves prostitution, illegal aliens, tax corruption, and fraud, but also an admission of a woman killing her husband. Remember, this is now the fourth city.
    I think that qualifies as showing the video as fact.
    Keep dancing Pete, and keep pretending that Glenn Beck never said that he had not confirmed whether the story was true...

    Dishonest posts are your business Pete, and boy do you take that business seriously.

  9. #179
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Keep dancing Pete, and keep pretending that Glenn Beck never said that he had not confirmed whether the story was true...

    Dishonest posts are your business Pete, and boy do you take that business seriously.
    Your opinion.

  10. #180
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Is this Media Matters claim fact, or fiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    From the Media Matters Link:

    After Andrew Breitbart posted a video of an ACORN employee in San Bernardino, California, claiming that she had killed her ex-husband, Fox News' Glenn Beck, Karl Rove, Greta Van Susteren, and Sean Hannity promoted it without fact-checking it or indicating that they had contacted ACORN for a response to the claim. In fact, ACORN stated that the employee made up the story because she recognized that the actors in the video "were clearly playing with" her so she "matched their false scenario with her own false scenarios," and, indeed, the San Bernardino Police Department has said her claim is false.

    The mere fact they showed the video is proof that they all reported it as fact. Are they not the "We report you decide" Network? They reported the phony story as fact and there is no way out. Isn't strange that Media Matters knew thew truth about the woman's story and the mighty Fox News channel did not know?
    Assuming things went down as Grim states, it would appear that Beck was reporting this incident as an unconfirmed story - but most of us would, I think, agree that many people take such things as fact, especially if they are in the easily-consumable format of a video.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •