Do you really think this year's SOTU will be substantially different from last year? Or 2012? Or 2011? Or 2010?
Basically it won't give us a clue about the state of the union that the Founders intended that the President clue us in on now and then.
But it will have a lot of:
1. Me/myself/I have done this and this and this and this.
2. Oh and don't forget I killed bin Laden.
3. Me/myself/I intend to do this and this and this and this (and never mind that all this stuff is on my list in No. 1 up there.)
4. If something didn't get done, it is Fox News or the media or Tea Partiers clinging to guns and Bibles or the GOP or phony scandals that prevented it. It wasn't my fault or a crappy policy.
5. Don't forget I can't be held accountable for how anything is because I inherited this mess.
Or some reasonable facsimile of that.
Can't we just dust off last year's speech and skip it this year? I really would prefer to do that. I probably won't but I sure am not looking forward to listening in.