View Poll Results: Do you think cars should have built-in electronic speed limit

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all cars ecxept "special" ones (police, swat, etc.)

    14 12.07%
  • No

    93 80.17%
  • I don't know

    2 1.72%
  • Other

    7 6.03%
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 384

Thread: Should cars have built-in speed limit?

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Should cars have built-in speed limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    I am baffled. Speed does not cause accidents...
    If speed doesn't cause accidents why not remove speed limit altogether?

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should cars have built-in speed limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    If speed doesn't cause accidents why not remove speed limit altogether?
    Outside of city limits - fine with me.

    Much of the German autobahn's have no speed limits and their death per mile driven is much lower then American highway's.

    Speed does not kill - bad driving does.

    You can kill someone walking through a crosswalk at 10-20 miles an hour.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Should cars have built-in speed limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woi View Post
    Where on earth do people get the idea that computers are infallible or even smarter than people ?
    Europe. Welcome to the forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woi View Post
    Other than that, any system that is network connected is hackable, simple as that.
    No, the idea is about autonomous speed limit, not some centralized control over your vehicle. You try to go faster than (let's say) 80 mph and the car says "Oh, no, you are not doing that, no matter how hard you punch it to the metal!". That's about it.

  4. #164
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Should cars have built-in speed limit?

    I think a dent to the problem would be made by creating cars that would decelerate the vehicle once it enters something like a school zone. GPS would detect a vehicle entering a low speed zone and simultaneously slow the vehicle down to the correct speed. It's a start that doesn't require tinkering with laws or zoning changes and would still leave room for drivers to drive as fast they want on highways etc. I don't think it would be too much of a hassle to link the GPS to the car's accelerator with more and more functions in cars becoming computerized. It would be avoidable by buying an older car, but that's more than unlikely. If cars have taught us anything is that people will buy them regardless of how much safety is stuffed into them.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 01-26-14 at 03:41 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #165
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,077
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should cars have built-in speed limit?

    No of course not. Sometimes I want to get home and take a dump and the speed limit shouldn't stand in the way of that. Who on Earth would vote yes except some liberals who can't control their behavior.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  6. #166
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,965

    Re: Should cars have built-in speed limit?

    I vote no. If the apocalypse happens and I need to outrun it, 200mph might be necessary.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should cars have built-in speed limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think a dent to the problem would be made by creating cars that would decelerate the vehicle once it enters something like a school zone. GPS would detect a vehicle entering a low speed zone and simultaneously slow the vehicle down to the correct speed. It's a start that doesn't require tinkering with laws or zoning changes and would still leave room for drivers to drive as fast they want on highways etc. I don't think it would be too much of a hassle to link the GPS to the car's accelerator with more and more functions in cars becoming computerized. It would be avoidable by buying an older car, but that's more than unlikely. If cars have taught us anything is that people will buy them regardless of how much safety is stuffed into them.
    What you are talking about is the top of a probably very slippery slope.

    So they force you to slow down for school zones? What's next? Hospitals, parks, retirement homes, residential neighbourhoods, etc..

    One nationally advertised death at any of these other areas of someone helpless and the call will go out for mandating cars to slow down in these zones.

    And what about time of day?

    So every time at 11 p.m. I pass a school zone I have to slow down?

    And what if there is a malfunction and the car does not slow down BUT the driver assumes it does because it always has before and goes plowing into some kids?


    Just put a speed bump in those areas.

    They have them where I live and - trust me - you slow down going through those areas.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Should cars have built-in speed limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    What you are talking about is the top of a probably very slippery slope.

    So they force you to slow down for school zones? What's next? Hospitals, parks, retirement homes, residential neighbourhoods, etc..

    One nationally advertised death at any of these other areas of someone helpless and the call will go out for mandating cars to slow down in these zones.
    I fail to see a reason why cars shouldn't be forced to slow down in those zones...

    And what about time of day?

    So every time at 11 p.m. I pass a school zone I have to slow down?
    I don't see why time wouldn't be included as a factor for speed in such a system. It's not as if GPS systems can't handle time right.

    And what if there is a malfunction and the car does not slow down BUT the driver assumes it does because it always has before and goes plowing into some kids?

    Just put a speed bump in those areas.

    They have them where I live and - trust me - you slow down going through those areas.
    I'm guessing you don't have GPS in your vehicle or any sort of computerized system. However, I can assure you that if a motorized vehicle with some sort of computerized system has a failure, the system will give you a warning.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should cars have built-in speed limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I fail to see a reason why cars shouldn't be forced to slow down in those zones...



    I don't see why time wouldn't be included as a factor for speed in such a system. It's not as if GPS systems can't handle time right.



    I'm guessing you don't have GPS in your vehicle or any sort of computerized system. However, I can assure you that if a motorized vehicle with some sort of computerized system has a failure, the system will give you a warning.
    True about the time feature.

    Not a car failure - a failure in the signal sent to the car at the location. The car would not warn you - it would just keep on going.


    And tell me why a speed bump would not work at least as well?

    It works every, single time...guaranteed.

    And all it requires is a few lumps of concrete bolted to the pavement.

    Cheap and simple for as long as you want.
    Last edited by DA60; 01-26-14 at 04:08 AM.

  10. #170
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Should cars have built-in speed limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Outside of city limits - fine with me.

    Much of the German autobahn's have no speed limits and their death per mile driven is much lower then American highway's.

    Speed does not kill - bad driving does.

    You can kill someone walking through a crosswalk at 10-20 miles an hour.
    The problem is that higher speed demands ever more qualified drivers.

    And at least here in the US, I don't think the driver standards are anywhere near that high.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •