View Poll Results: should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    75 52.45%
  • no

    68 47.55%
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 626

Thread: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish[W:126]

  1. #81
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    That's a generalization that doesn't always hold. Certainly in cases of unskilled labor or widely available skill sets. But people with hard of find talents can often call the shots.
    It doesn't have to always be true. It just usually is. Most people, including and especially these owners and employers, fall into the former category. Making rules based on the few exceptional people is not a very good idea.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And all of those things can largely be attributed to some fashion to decisions and choices that individual has made throughout the life.
    Nonsense. Not everyone grows up in a wealthy family. Not everyone grows up in a healthy family. We don't get to pick and choose our family or our family's finances, we're born into them.

    I don't think he misunderstands the word "freedom", even if I disagree with some of his points, but rather I think YOU misunderstand what he means by it.
    You seem to be in the group that thinks "Freedom" is a notion of everyone has an equal ability to do what they want at any given tiem. He seems to be talking about freedom of oppertunity in a generalized sense. Having freedom doesn't guarantee you that you have a good family life, or that you've taken action to keep your credit well enough to get a loan, or anything else. It simply guarantees that you can try and do everything that's within your own power.
    I disagree with you. I believe he's talking about freedom in the sense of employers being free to determine who they employ without government regulation. In this way, he is not talking about freedom, he is talking about resting all power in the job market to the employer. That's not freedom.

    Freedom doesn't guarantee you someone else giving you money. Freedom doesn't guarantee you no kids you have to feed or family members you have to care for. Freedom doesn't give you a job or save you money.
    Let's take that a step further then. Freedom doesn't guarantee you receiving money for what you produce or service you provide. Freedom doesn't guarantee you security for your business and it doesn't guarantee you protection from those who would steal your ideas and pass them off as your own.

    Tell me, reading his post again, do you really think he's advocating a system where I can just walk into his store, take what I want and leave without worrying about repercussions? I doubt it. The way you're talking, you want freedom for employers, but not for those who would consume the product. No, for that I suspect you would advocate for restriction of "freedom" to protect the hard work and investment of the employer (as would I).

    You're notion of "freedom" seems to be forcing others to do something for people.
    No, my stance is that transferring power from employee to employer is not guaranteeing anyone freedom, so much as it is simply shifting power. Unless either of you surprise me by advocating freedom for the consumer to take without repercussion, you're not really talking about advocating freedom. Because freedom is not freedom if it benefits one while negatively affecting another.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    They make eye drops for that.
    I'd prefer not to need them, but we'll see.

    Every person on the face of the planet must choose to provide for themselves and their family or to allow them to die.
    Exactly, so you saying one doesn't have to work in a particular industry while advocating all employers be allowed to hire and fire at will is simply a distraction.

    You would prefer that Chinese workers toil in the fields for $.05 an hour? Sweatshop Blues
    I'm not sure why you think that reply helped you. My point is there is little incentive to hire workers at competitive wages when they can simply outsource for a mere fraction of the cost.

    Many people boycott Walmart because of perceived injustices it commits against its workers and suppliers. Many more do not hold this belief.
    Which directly refutes your claim that employers with poor employment policies will be negatively affected.

    The opposite is true as well.
    Agreed, but not always. Your point, however, was that poor employment policies will cost money, thereby strongly suggesting fair employment will still be had. My point is that is simply not the case.

    If you owned a business you would quickly realize that employers by no means have all the power.
    But you're pushing a system which greatly increases the power of the employer. That's my point.

    Yet the employer has all of the power? Incredible!
    I'm not saying they have all the power NOW, I'm saying you're advocating a system which grants them all the power.

    People are not equal!
    Attempting to make them so is tyrannical because you have to forcefully pull some down to push others up.
    I agree individuals are not equal, but, inherently, demographics mostly are.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Except for federally recognized anti-discrimination reasons, sure. Am employee can quit for any reason they want, why should the employer not be able to fire them?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #84
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Yes. The employer should retain the right to hire and fire at will, with or without disclosing a reason. If I own a company I own the risk. If I feel like I no longer need a particular person in my employ for whatever reason I should be able to let them go. I should also be able to hire whomever I choose for whatever reason I choose. My company, my risk.
    *insert profound statement here*

  5. #85
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Yes and no.

    Yes they should be able to fire for any reason, but at the same time, there should be consequences for firing someone under certain circumstances - those consequences should not, however, EVER include forcing the company to give the fired person their former job back. No idea why someone would want such a job back anyway...but I digress.

    That way, if someone is disruptive enough yet doesn't break any rules, they can be fired without cause and the company can eat the costs (unemployment, court costs, whatever).

    If they are fired for a reason such as race, sex, or other discriminatory reason, there should be additional penalties against the company.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Of course they should.

    It is a private company, why the owner/boss fires someone is none of the government's business.

    An employee can quit for any reason, they should be able to be fired for any reason.

    ANY reason...pregnancy, too tall, too fat, too short, race, sex, show size...ANY reason.

  7. #87
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    You seem to be very confused...


    Confused about what?

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Someone who fires a pregnant woman because she is pregnant should be prevented from doing so by the law.
    Why?


    Let's say a woman planned to quit her job after she gives birth?

    Under your law, she can now slack of at work, sit on her ass, show up late, take really long lunches, tell her lousy boss to 'f' off and only work when she feels like it.

    Why not? She can't be fired because she is pregnant.

    And she can do this for about 9 months or so.

  9. #89
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    No. Right to work states are about not having to join a club to get hired in the first place.


    True, but then there is no one to help protect your job, so same result..

  10. #90
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Why?


    Let's say a woman planned to quit her job after she gives birth?

    Under your law, she can now slack of at work, sit on her ass, show up late, take really long lunches, tell her lousy boss to 'f' off and only work when she feels like it.

    Why not? She can't be fired because she is pregnant.

    And she can do this for about 9 months or so.
    well you just listed a bunch of reason to fire her that have nothing to do with her being pregnant so problem solved
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •