View Poll Results: should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    75 52.45%
  • no

    68 47.55%
Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 626

Thread: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish[W:126]

  1. #541
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    What do separate drinking fountains have to do with a person's right to control his own lawfully and ethically acquired money, property, and/or other resources? What gives an employee any right to any part of what his employer owns other than what is agreed between the employer and employee?
    The law.

  2. #542
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    What do separate drinking fountains have to do with a person's right to control his own lawfully and ethically acquired money, property, and/or other resources? What gives an employee any right to any part of what his employer owns other than what is agreed between the employer and employee?
    Nothing; I subscribe to a federal doctrine and State laws regarding the concept of employment at will.

  3. #543
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
    With that philosophy we go back to the deep dark South where they had "Colored drinking fountain", and "White drinking fountain". There is no place in a civilized society for bigotry and hatred that like, period.
    It exists - trying to force it under the rug is childish.

    I want bigots out in the open...for all to see.

    I want the local community knowing that a racist club owner fired a guy because he was 'black'...so that community can economically boycott that club.

    If you force him to keep 'blacks' (when he secretly hates them) all you do is force that racism underground...where it often times festers and grows.


    But all that is secondary.

    These businesses are private. If a pathetic racist pig wants to only hire one 'race' - that should be completely up to him.

    And NO WHERE (to my knowledge) in the Constitution does it say otherwise.

    Freedom of choice. Freedom of expression.

    You clearly only like freedom of expression when it pleases you.

    If it doesn't - you are fine with tossing those rights out the window.

    I am not.

    Freedom is an absolute...and I am not prepared to sacrifice it just because I find many of these expressions disgusting (like only hiring based on race or sex).


    Show me exactly where it says in the Constitution that the state has the right to tell private business owners who they can and cannot employ (outside of criminals)?

    If you cannot - then your argument means NOTHING to me.

  4. #544
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I'd guess anyone with over 50 employees knows they simply must document (or be able to do so in hindsight) poor performance. Those who don't have those policies in place are, in my opinion, playing with fire...even if they only have three employees.
    Yes but what if the incompetent employee is gay and claims that is why he was fired?
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #545
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Yes but what if the incompetent employee is gay and claims that is why he was fired?
    And what if the employee is black and claims racism when he is fired?

    Dude these things happen less frequently than your right wing nightmares tell you they do.

    If poor performance is documented well by the employer there's no way an allegation like that sticks.

  6. #546
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Any form of Jim Crow is merely Socialism bailing out alleged Capitalists.

  7. #547
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Yes but what if the incompetent employee is gay and claims that is why he was fired?
    Navy, are you not aware that it is the plaintiff's responsibility to prove it?

  8. #548
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,813

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Maggie, what about a gay person who is not doing the job....... Should and employer be allowed to fire .? Then what if the gay person cries discrimination and the employer did not even know the man was gay?
    Watch "Philadelphia" staring Hanks and Washington...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #549
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,967

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    you just virtually ignore what people type if you don't like it and say the same thing over and over.
    This is incredibly rich, considering I've had to repeat myself only because you don't bother to actually understand what I say.

    People like you want a law that forces people to employ people they don't want
    Never did I say such a thing. Great strawman.

    so that these employee's can do jobs they don't like
    Who said the employee doesn't like the job? I just said they shouldn't have to be put into a situation where they have to choose between dignity and their family.

    Once more, it appears as if you don't take the time to actually read what is said.

    Private companies are PRIVATE.
    Benefiting from PUBLIC taxes, as I've already noted.

    The government has no business telling them who they can employ.
    The government isn't telling them they HAVE to employ people...only that you treat them fairly if you do.

    You don't agree...guess how much I care?
    Enough to deliberately misinterpret what I've said multiples times and post in response to the blatant misinterpretation you conceived?

    We are done on this.

    Good day.
    We can be done the moment you quit replying. It won't change the fact you've been wrong multiples times about my position, nor does it change the fact you seem to think it should be legally okay to treat women as sexual objects.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Sorry but that is not what I have said nor what I have been arguing and it is entirely disingenuous to accuse me of that.
    It's exactly what you said and what's telling is you have not even attempted to clarify what you said.

    I have been very clear that the employer has absolutely no right to anything the employee has, including his/her labor, other than what is agreed between the employer and employee. What part of 'agreed' do you not understand? How can I put the term 'agreement' into words small enough to understand that it implies voluntary consent?
    So...if the employee doesn't agree to be terminated....

    I'm sorry, you gave yourself away.

    Nor does the employee have any right of any kind to what the employer has lawfully
    No one is forcing the employer to pay an employee anything. All I'm saying is the employer shouldn't have the right to treat employees unfairly. That doesn't mean the employee should be able to never come to work, be a terrible employee and still get paid. It just means the employer shouldn't be able to fire someone because the employee refuses to do something illegal or reprehensible.

    And the employer can fire an employee any time that he/she wants. Any other policy is involuntary servitude.
    Nonsense, because laws protecting the employee do not constitute involuntary servitude. No one is forcing the employer to hire an employee. An employer hires someone with the understanding certain laws protects the rights of the employee.

    You are wrong in just about every way, even within the context of your own arguments.

  10. #550
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,504
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    This is incredibly rich, considering I've had to repeat myself only because you don't bother to actually understand what I say.

    Never did I say such a thing. Great strawman.

    Who said the employee doesn't like the job? I just said they shouldn't have to be put into a situation where they have to choose between dignity and their family.

    Once more, it appears as if you don't take the time to actually read what is said.

    Benefiting from PUBLIC taxes, as I've already noted.

    The government isn't telling them they HAVE to employ people...only that you treat them fairly if you do.

    Enough to deliberately misinterpret what I've said multiples times and post in response to the blatant misinterpretation you conceived?


    We can be done the moment you quit replying. It won't change the fact you've been wrong multiples times about my position, nor does it change the fact you seem to think it should be legally okay to treat women as sexual objects.
    It's exactly what you said and what's telling is you have not even attempted to clarify what you said.

    So...if the employee doesn't agree to be terminated....

    I'm sorry, you gave yourself away.

    No one is forcing the employer to pay an employee anything. All I'm saying is the employer shouldn't have the right to treat employees unfairly. That doesn't mean the employee should be able to never come to work, be a terrible employee and still get paid. It just means the employer shouldn't be able to fire someone because the employee refuses to do something illegal or reprehensible.

    Nonsense, because laws protecting the employee do not constitute involuntary servitude. No one is forcing the employer to hire an employee. An employer hires someone with the understanding certain laws protects the rights of the employee.

    You are wrong in just about every way, even within the context of your own arguments.
    Your opinion is noted. It's really wierd, but it is noted.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •