View Poll Results: should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    75 52.45%
  • no

    68 47.55%
Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 626

Thread: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish[W:126]

  1. #41
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    If reasons of discrimination (race, gender etc) the answer is no. Otherwise, yes.

    Employers are liable for employees actions, so the employer gets to decide whether or not the take the risk of hiring and then of keeping someone.

  2. #42
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Most of the employment problems I've encountered and "fixed" over the years, which are numerous, for both large and small businesses, have been caused by the employer/management.

    That old say, no bad employees, just bad management? In my experience, it's about 90% true.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #43
    Revolutionary
    TNAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,018
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Wow. It never ceases to amaze me how so many people are anti-freedom.

    First, my position: employers should be able to fire an employee for whatever cockamamie excuse they come up with. Whether the employee smells funny, has the wrong color skin, walks with a limp, talks with a drawl, or is just plain annoying.

    Why? Because I believe in freedom.

    An individual is not forced to work in any particular industry or business. They have complete control over who they work for or whether or not they even work for another person. Employers must offer a satisfactory compensation package in order to attract competent employees. The choices that employer makes in compensation has a direct effect on its public image. Highly compensated employees are happier and encourage customers to return in the future. It is a mutually beneficial situation. If a company determines to refrain from hiring or fire all employees who are white males, this will send a message to potential customers and the company will pay a very real price for this decision. The discriminatory acts of the employer directly affect the success of the business itself. Consumers choose to shop at those businesses which provide the goods they desire in a manner which they support when given the opportunity.

    This is the only way for a free society to advance its morals and remain free. Every single person on the face of the earth is discriminatory. It is a fundamental factor of human nature. To deny this capacity in an employer for the sake of “fairness” creates, by its very act, a situation of tyranny.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,982

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    Wow. It never ceases to amaze me how so many people are anti-freedom.
    If you listen hard enough, you can probably hear me roll my eyes.

    First, my position: employers should be able to fire an employee for whatever cockamamie excuse they come up with. Whether the employee smells funny, has the wrong color skin, walks with a limp, talks with a drawl, or is just plain annoying.
    I disagree with your position, but it's not the problem I have with your post.

    Why? Because I believe in freedom.
    Not really, you just believe in power resting with the employer.

    An individual is not forced to work in any particular industry or business.
    But they ARE forced to work in SOME industry or business. At least, if they want to eat and provide for their family.

    They have complete control over who they work for or whether or not they even work for another person.
    Sounds great in theory, but completely false in reality. Not everyone has the money to start a business. Not everyone can qualify for a loan. Not everyone has a home situation which allows them to pick their ideal job. There are not unlimited jobs in every field. The cost of entry to start a business is not affordable to everyone.

    Employers must offer a satisfactory compensation package in order to attract competent employees.
    Or they can send those jobs overseas to China where they can pay employees $.15 an hour with no bathroom break.

    Again, what you say sounds great in theory, but not in reality.

    Highly compensated employees are happier and encourage customers to return in the future.
    Explain Wal-Mart then. Poorly compensated, unhelpful workers and it's easily the largest supermarket chain in America.

    If a company determines to refrain from hiring or fire all employees who are white males, this will send a message to potential customers and the company will pay a very real price for this decision.
    And in many places, refusing to hire black people will boost their business with those who are racist.

    This is the only way for a free society to advance its morals and remain free.
    But that has nothing to do with freedom. Granting all power in a job relationship to the employer is not freedom, it's oppression of the employee. If there were unlimited jobs and/or capital to create a business, then your theory might hold water. But there's not, and your theory has nothing to do with freedom, only shifting all the power to the employer.

    To deny this capacity in an employer for the sake of “fairness” creates, by its very act, a situation of tyranny.
    So...making sure people are treated equally is tyrannical?

    I'm not sure you completely understand the meaning of the word "freedom".

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The problem is that the whole "they can quit anytime they want" thing is not really true. First of all, most people have a job to make money to pay for needs, like housing, food, utilities, and other bills. They aren't working simply to work so they have to take those things into account whenever they even think about quitting a job. Second, quitting without notice can cause a person to get bad recommendations from former employers, reducing their chances of being hired by someone else. Plus, it makes it highly unlikely that, in the off chance the employee might want to get a different job with that company they simply left, that they will be able to do so in the future, unlike if a person were to leave with notification.
    So based on this and your previous post....you acknowledge there are issues relating to a business firing people, but they just need to "deal with it". However issues with people just quitting are reason why we should ignore the fact that people absolutely CAN quit anytime they want, they just have to deal with potential consequences.

    Employers ALSO have consequences when firing people. First, most employers own a business to make money to pay for their needs like housing, food, utilities, and other bills and to do that generally need employees. They arenít running a business simply to run a business so they have to take those things into account whenever they even think of firing someone from a job. Second, firing people for frivolous reasons can cause a company to get a bad reputation with its other employees, reducing their chance of retaining their other workers in such a environment. Plus, firing people without air tight reasons can cause a business to get engrossed in costly and time consuming legal battles.

    Yes, are there legitimate reasons and hindrances that may cause a person to choose NOT to quit at any point? Absolutely. That doesnít mean they donít have the ability to do so. Just like there are legitimate reasons and hindrances that may cause a business to choose NOT to fire people at any point for most any reason. That doesnít mean they have the ability to do so (in some states).

  6. #46
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    I am in no way discriminatory to any group of people, but I believe it is stupid to call the United States a free country than force upon the business owners regulations such as these. In todays connected world we need not worry about work place discrimination. We already see it now: when a big company does something dumb to their employees it gets posted on the internet and goes viral. They are forced by the market to make a change. Changes that are market driven are ALWAYS more effective than government mandated changes.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Sounds great in theory, but completely false in reality. Not everyone has the money to start a business. Not everyone can qualify for a loan. Not everyone has a home situation which allows them to pick their ideal job. There are not unlimited jobs in every field. The cost of entry to start a business is not affordable to everyone.
    And all of those things can largely be attributed to some fashion to decisions and choices that individual has made throughout the life. I don't think he misunderstands the word "freedom", even if I disagree with some of his points, but rather I think YOU misunderstand what he means by it.

    You seem to be in the group that thinks "Freedom" is a notion of everyone has an equal ability to do what they want at any given tiem. He seems to be talking about freedom of oppertunity in a generalized sense. Having freedom doesn't guarantee you that you have a good family life, or that you've taken action to keep your credit well enough to get a loan, or anything else. It simply guarantees that you can try and do everything that's within your own power.

    Freedom doesn't guarantee you someone else giving you money. Freedom doesn't guarantee you no kids you have to feed or family members you have to care for. Freedom doesn't give you a job or save you money.

    In some ways, looking at what you're saying, I do agree with him. You're notion of "freedom" seems to be forcing others to do something for people. Sorry, that's not "freedom" and I think in that case using your logic you're the one misunderstanding it. Though I'd prefer to suggest that freedom is not quite as clear cut of a word as many try to act like it is, and many people have very different views on what it means to be "free".

  8. #48
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    701

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Absolutely NOT.

    In Ohio our Public Policy exception evolved from a man getting fired because the employer had to take child support out of his check and whined about it, so they fired him. How is a man supposed to support his kids when he gets fired for it? The LAW mandated it be done.

  9. #49
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So based on this and your previous post....you acknowledge there are issues relating to a business firing people, but they just need to "deal with it". However issues with people just quitting are reason why we should ignore the fact that people absolutely CAN quit anytime they want, they just have to deal with potential consequences.

    Employers ALSO have consequences when firing people. First, most employers own a business to make money to pay for their needs like housing, food, utilities, and other bills and to do that generally need employees. They aren’t running a business simply to run a business so they have to take those things into account whenever they even think of firing someone from a job. Second, firing people for frivolous reasons can cause a company to get a bad reputation with its other employees, reducing their chance of retaining their other workers in such a environment. Plus, firing people without air tight reasons can cause a business to get engrossed in costly and time consuming legal battles.

    Yes, are there legitimate reasons and hindrances that may cause a person to choose NOT to quit at any point? Absolutely. That doesn’t mean they don’t have the ability to do so. Just like there are legitimate reasons and hindrances that may cause a business to choose NOT to fire people at any point for most any reason. That doesn’t mean they have the ability to do so (in some states).
    People who are employed though have less power than the people that do the employing. Not recognizing this simple fact is the issue. Only a limited amount of people/organizations can be employers. The majority are going to be employees. This gives employers a starting level of more power. So, as a balance for that power, employers have certain restrictions on what they can legally fire a person for or deny them a job for. And heck, the employers still retain more power than the employees even with anti-discrimination laws in hiring and firing.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #50
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,896
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish?

    Don't most of us work in 'At Will' states? This means that employees can be fired for any reason or no reason,unless there's a claim of some sort of discrimination, but it also means that the employee can quit with no notice either, so it's a 2 way street.

    Yeah, I think it should be this way because employer and employee shouldn't be forced to work together if it's not in both's interest to do so.

Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •