View Poll Results: should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    75 52.45%
  • no

    68 47.55%
Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 626

Thread: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish[W:126]

  1. #361
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,399

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Civil Persons in our republic should be able to apply for unemployment compensation simply for being unemployed in any at-will employment State.
    Why? Someone fired at will, and not for cause would be eligible for UI benefits.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  2. #362
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,451

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I actually think the pay inequity is probably best suited for the income inequality thread. This one is whether you should have to hire somebody in your business, but more importantly, once you hire them, are you obligated to keep them on the payroll forever if he/she is pregnant or black or gay or handicapped or name your protected class of the week? Or when you no longer need or can afford the employee, can you fire him/her?

    I'm gonna guess you vote for an employer to have the right to use his/her money, property, and resources in his/her own interest, and the employee is entitled to no part of that other than what was agreed between the employer and employee.
    I worked in business for years, but it was a Fortune 500 company, and they were very careful to abide by the rules and laws on the books. I don't know what small companies are like, but I'll wager that none of them want lawsuits for alleged discrimination of any kind, which sounds like the examples you cited. I apparently misunderstood the intent of the thread, .but I think the "redistribution of income" theme fits in here, too, else why the example of employer money, property and resources discussion versus what the employee is entitled to? Obama specifically cited raising the minimum wage in his SOTU, which does involve both sides.

  3. #363
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    im not familiar with how employment at will affects unemployment, youll have to explain or ill look it up when im i can
    The simple answer is that civil Persons in our republic should be able to apply for unemployment compensation on an at-will basis simply for being unemployed. Why is labor being denied and disparaged in that civil right?

  4. #364
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,406

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    The simple answer is that civil Persons in our republic should be able to apply for unemployment compensation on an at-will basis simply for being unemployed. Why is labor being denied and disparaged in that civil right?
    again define civil person
    one cant apply for unemployment in am at will work state?
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  5. #365
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    define "civil person" and i might agree with you

    but again im not familiar with the relationship you are talking about

    is there not unemployment in a at-will employment state?
    From Article 4, Section 2: The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

    Even "juridical persons" should not be exempted, such as any incorporated Firm.

  6. #366
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,406

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    From Article 4, Section 2: The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

    Even "juridical persons" should not be exempted, such as any incorporated Firm.
    ok let me know when you plan on answering anything
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  7. #367
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,825

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) thanks for that random and meaningless point
    2.) that already is determined, they factually exist right now
    3.) you are free to have this opinion
    4.) nope it can branch out in many things but since thats the topic it will do just fine
    5.) it factually can, deny thing wont change this fact. Its not a demand or an ultimatime only i get to decide that. Its simply the foundation im interested in starting the discussion on you can simply choose not to
    6.) wrong my question can infact answer yours, again this fact will not change
    7.) yes this is only you opinion
    8) glad you agree with facts
    9.) well you vision would be wrong
    My specialty. However, I don't think it meaningless, but rather directly in response to your point one in the post I responded to.
    They legally exist right now. That is fact. Whether the rights existed before their codification is another question entirely, and mostly philosophical in nature, I suspect.
    And do so gleefully. Well not really.
    I don't like your question because it presumes too many things.
    It may. You saying "I'll only discuss responses to this statement" is at least something like an ultimatum, as I understand the term.
    Responses to your question can in part answer mine. but not in full, unless they go beyond the scope of your question.
    Indeed so.
    I disagree.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #368
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    ok let me know when you plan on answering anything
    The simple answer is that civil Persons in our republic should be able to apply for unemployment compensation on an at-will basis simply for being unemployed. Why is labor being denied and disparaged in that civil right?

    A civil Person can be considered a person who may have to present themselves to a judge in any civil case; for the purposes of this concept.

  9. #369
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,406

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    1.)My specialty. However, I don't think it meaningless, but rather directly in response to your point one in the post I responded to.
    2.)They legally exist right now. That is fact.
    3.) Whether the rights existed before their codification is another question entirely, and mostly philosophical in nature, I suspect.
    4.)And do so gleefully. Well not really.
    5.) I don't like your question because it presumes too many things.
    6.) It may. You saying "I'll only discuss responses to this statement" is at least something like an ultimatum, as I understand the term.
    7.) Responses to your question can in part answer mine. but not in full, unless they go beyond the scope of your question.
    Indeed so.
    8.)I disagree.
    1.) im sure you do think that but that fact remains it was being discussed
    2.) correct just like i said
    3.) again subjective philosophy im simply not interested in
    4.) same
    5.) it actually doesnt presume anything, you presume it does not the question itself
    6.) it can, and its not an ultimatum, if you think thats how easy an ultimative is formed then by that logic you are giving me one too
    7.) theres a factual scope of my question which would then lead to discussion and that discussion would also have a factual limited scope? really? i had not idea, please tell me what the factual scope of my question and the discussions that may come of it. also remind me about the "presuming line again"
    8.) you can disagree but its true there are not real limits only the one you made up in your head
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  10. #370
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,406

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    The simple answer is that civil Persons in our republic should be able to apply for unemployment compensation on an at-will basis simply for being unemployed. Why is labor being denied and disparaged in that civil right?

    A civil Person can be considered a person who may have to present themselves to a judge in any civil case; for the purposes of this concept.
    ok lets try again

    can a person not get unemployment in a work at will state?

    an arson can do that, should a person get unemployment if the burn down my business?


    before you get any discussion out of somebody youll simply have to expalin exactly what you are talkign about instead of making empty statments
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •