View Poll Results: should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    75 52.45%
  • no

    68 47.55%
Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 626

Thread: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish[W:126]

  1. #351
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    this isnt difficult
    if you feel you have a good reason to violate peoples rights or for taking them away feel free to state it
    I don't at the moment, and so far as I recall and never claimed to have such.

    Why is that relevant to my question?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #352
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    1.)I don't at the moment, and so far as I recall and never claimed to have such.

    Why is that relevant to my question?
    1.) i didnt say you had one i was simply pointing out unless you do theres nothing im interested in discussing.

    2.) which question, youll have to be more specific
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #353
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) i didnt say you had one i was simply pointing out unless you do theres nothing im interested in discussing.

    2.) which question, youll have to be more specific
    Your question is counter to the premise of this thread though.

    As I understand it, we're attempting to discuss whether limitations on an employers hiring/firing ability are valid. This would of course require examining whether anti-discrimination laws are valid.
    Your response is to demand that people provide a reason for violating those laws. Damnit, the entire point of this thread is to discuss whether anti-discrimination laws regarding hiring/firing should even exist. Whether they exist in some form currently, or not, is beside the point. And thus demanding a reason to violate them is beside the point.

    As for my question: I'm not claiming we do or do not have these rights, I'm asking you to show why you believe we should/do.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #354
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    1.)Your question is counter to the premise of this thread though.
    2.)As I understand it, we're attempting to discuss whether limitations on an employers hiring/firing ability are valid.
    3.) This would of course require examining whether anti-discrimination laws are valid.
    4.) Your response is to demand that people provide a reason for violating those laws.
    5.) Damnit, the entire point of this thread is to discuss whether anti-discrimination laws regarding hiring/firing should even exist.
    6.) Whether they exist in some form currently, or not, is beside the point.
    7.)And thus demanding a reason to violate them is beside the point.

    As for my question: I'm not claiming we do or do not have these rights, I'm asking you to show why you believe we should/do.
    1.) says you, i discussed it quite fine earlier
    2.) so am i, present a sound scenario to violate rights and we can discuss it validity
    3.) and what im asking will in fact do the same thing
    4.) no not a demand, you are free not to, its just all im interested in as this is my method that will achieve exactly what you are asking.
    5.) which my question will in fact do
    6.) you are free to have this opinion
    7.) 100% false discussion on it can in fact answer the question you seek
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #355
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,504
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    When a person is hired as an employee at a particular company, they know what their salary will be, as well as what their duties will be. If they hadn't agreed, they wouldn't be working there. Maybe I have missed the point of this thread, but even if the employee later finds out that his employer makes 10 times what he does, what difference does that make? That still doesn't entitle them to anything the employer has! I realize that lately the mantra has been that, for some reason, people are being told that they do, but in the real world, that's :! Most of us would not be unhappy to suddenly find our paychecks have been increased 1,000-fold, but the chances of that happening are slim to none! This isn't the lottery...it's business. Everyone who likes the idea of "robbing Peter to give to Paul" always imagine themselves as being Paul...never Peter! Sheesh!

    Greetings, AlbuOwl.
    I actually think the pay inequity is probably best suited for the income inequality thread. This one is whether you should have to hire somebody in your business, but more importantly, once you hire them, are you obligated to keep them on the payroll forever if he/she is pregnant or black or gay or handicapped or name your protected class of the week? Or when you no longer need or can afford the employee, can you fire him/her?

    I'm gonna guess you vote for an employer to have the right to use his/her money, property, and resources in his/her own interest, and the employee is entitled to no part of that other than what was agreed between the employer and employee.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #356
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    im not familiar with how employment at will affects unemployment, youll have to explain or ill look it up when im i can
    Civil Persons in our republic should be able to apply for unemployment compensation simply for being unemployed in any at-will employment State.

  7. #357
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) says you, i discussed it quite fine earlier
    2.) so am i, present a sound scenario to violate rights and we can discuss it validity
    3.) and what im asking will in fact do the same thing
    4.) no not a demand, you are free not to, its just all im interested in as this is my method that will achieve exactly what you are asking.
    5.) which my question will in fact do
    6.) you are free to have this opinion
    7.) 100% false discussion on it can in fact answer the question you seek
    Response does not indicate validity of argument.
    Until we determine whether the rights exist or not, we can't discuss violating them. Or we can, but it'd be kinda pointless.
    Only if we limit ourselves to anti-discrimination laws as currently constituted.
    It will not, and if it is not a demand, it is an ultimatum.
    No, your question focuses on whether anti-discrimination laws as they currently exist should be followed or changed. Better to ask "should anti-discrimination laws exist, and if so, what form should they take?" IMO.
    Yes, I am.
    Discussion on that question can only answer that question in part. It's limiting, as I see it.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #358
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    1.) This one is whether you should have to hire somebody in your business
    2.) but more importantly, once you hire them, are you obligated to keep them on the payroll forever if he/she is pregnant or black or gay or handicapped or name your protected class of the week?
    3.) Or when you no longer need or can afford the employee, can you fire him/her?
    1.) who ever said you HAVE to hire someone? this is not the current law at all
    2.) wow who ever said you have to keep them for ever, this also is not the current law at all, you like to really make things up dont you?

    also not saying you said otherwise but usually people talk about the laws as they are written medical conditions, race, sexuality (which isnt protected everywhere yet) or physical ablities.
    but your statment is very telling when you say "or name your protected class of the week?" it reeks of bias lol

    3.) yes this can be done as long as its not illegal
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #359
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    1.)Response does not indicate validity of argument.
    2.) Until we determine whether the rights exist or not, we can't discuss violating them.
    3.)Or we can, but it'd be kinda pointless.
    4.) Only if we limit ourselves to anti-discrimination laws as currently constituted.
    5.) It will not, and if it is not a demand, it is an ultimatum.
    6.) No, your question focuses on whether anti-discrimination laws as they currently exist should be followed or changed.
    7.)Better to ask "should anti-discrimination laws exist, and if so, what form should they take?" IMO.
    8.) Yes, I am.
    9.)Discussion on that question can only answer that question in part. It's limiting, as I see it.
    1.) thanks for that random and meaningless point
    2.) that already is determined, they factually exist right now
    3.) you are free to have this opinion
    4.) nope it can branch out in many things but since thats the topic it will do just fine
    5.) it factually can, deny thing wont change this fact. Its not a demand or an ultimatime only i get to decide that. Its simply the foundation im interested in starting the discussion on you can simply choose not to
    6.) wrong my question can infact answer yours, again this fact will not change
    7.) yes this is only you opinion
    8) glad you agree with facts
    9.) well you vision would be wrong
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #360
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Civil Persons in our republic should be able to apply for unemployment compensation simply for being unemployed in any at-will employment State.
    define "civil person" and i might agree with you

    but again im not familiar with the relationship you are talking about

    is there not unemployment in a at-will employment state?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •