View Poll Results: should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    75 52.45%
  • no

    68 47.55%
Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 626

Thread: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish[W:126]

  1. #161
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    You do not understand?

  2. #162
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,967

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    You do not understand?
    Did I not just say I have no idea what point you feel you are making?

  3. #163
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Sure. Why not? I'd love to be able to ban people from thinking of paedophilia, torture, abuse. Wouldn't you?

    Or does your absurd political slant mean you'd rather the world suffer so you can be 'free'?
    I hate to invoke Godwins law but we've already been through examples where a madman tried to create a master race. Where would you like to stop? Would you ban everyone who disagrees with you on the environment, Walmart, books, food choices, religion? We have real world examples of people trying to eliminate others based on differences of opinion and lifestyle. It's never worked well.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  4. #164
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Did I not just say I have no idea what point you feel you are making?
    You said you are unaware of the motivation for a business.

  5. #165
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,503
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post
    I guess if it were a very small to medium sized employer, that could stand. But when you are talking large employers, that is irrelevant since the "owner" isn't the one hiring. If there were no laws whatsoever, I think there would be at least one segment of the population that would not be afforded the "opportunity" to succeed, which is a very valuable American principal.
    There is already a segment of the population that is not afforded the 'opportunity' to succeed purely because the employer can't risk the chance that the person won't succeed but the employer will have a difficult time firing him/her. That is the dark side of affirmative action and it largely overwhelms the positive side.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #166
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    701

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Yes. The employer should retain the right to hire and fire at will, with or without disclosing a reason. If I own a company I own the risk. If I feel like I no longer need a particular person in my employ for whatever reason I should be able to let them go. I should also be able to hire whomever I choose for whatever reason I choose. My company, my risk.
    1. It is a sad state of national affairs if en employer can fire an employee for taking off for a funeral of his/her child!

    2. If you get a subpeona to appear in court, you must go by law, then is it okay if you get fired for it?

    Other notable examples exist.

  7. #167
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,503
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
    1. It is a sad state of national affairs if en employer can fire an employee for taking off for a funeral of his/her child!

    2. If you get a subpeona to appear in court, you must go by law, then is it okay if you get fired for it?

    Other notable examples exist.
    We are not arguing the ethics here. Of course a caring employer will accommodate the needs of his/her employees as much as is reasonable to do so. But unless the employer is able to serve his own interests, he has no liberty at all. The government who requires him to be 'compassionate' or 'understanding' of the personal needs of his employees is taking over control of that business and thereby is taking away the employer's control of his own assets and property and is treading on his unalienable right to look to his own interests. Such government initiative can be altruistic and can also be quite sinister and self serving to those in government, and that is why an employer should be able to hire and fire whomever he wishes.

    There is nothing that requires us to do business with the uncaring SOB. But liberty requires him to have the ability to be an SOB if that is the way he is.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #168
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    701

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    What about # 2 then?

  9. #169
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Personal opinion. Some have no issue firing employees. Some employers in fact like to do it.

    No one has said to protect "the deadbeats". If you can show how anyone is not pulling their weight/doing their job, that is absolute justification for firing them. The problem is firing them because of your (as in employers') personal bias against a characteristic of that person or a stereotype the employer has about certain "types" of people, not their job performance.
    Firing employees, or more specifically, rehiring and retraining new employees is very expensive. I dont think very many employers do it casually, no matter how legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #170
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    701

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    There is nothing that requires us to do business with the uncaring SOB. But liberty requires him to have the ability to be an SOB if that is the way he is.


    What about this I already posted at # 48;

    In Ohio our Public Policy exception evolved from a man getting fired because the employer had to take child support out of his check and whined about it, so they fired him. How is a man supposed to support his kids when he gets fired for it? The LAW mandated it be done.

    How can a man pay child support if he can get fired for it? You are for a man living up to his responsibilty to pay for his kids, right?

Page 17 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •