View Poll Results: should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    75 52.45%
  • no

    68 47.55%
Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 626

Thread: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish[W:126]

  1. #121
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    I have to think in the context of "Does the owner/employer" have the right to fire anyone they want and I think they should have that right. It changes in the Corporate context and I don't think so in that case because of too many middlemen.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,515

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    It's not outright illegal, it's not even sort of illegal. If I'm a boss, and I go to my employee and say "Hey, I think you're sexy, let's go back to my office and tear one off" and she refuses, then nothing illegal has happened. If I then fire her because I'm embarrassed or mad or whatever, then nothing illegal has happened. If I made a condition of her employment (and getting paid) her having sex with me, then yes, that's probably illegal. But simply asking for sex and getting mad/embarrassed about it is not.
    Oh I don't think you can claim nothing illegal happened, that would be up to the jury and the evidence presented. More likely you'd take a plea deal, because going to court is very expensive, and it would undoubtedly be very embarrassing. Who has more to lose, the employee or the business owner? If you have deep pockets, you're quite the juicy target too.

    You make sexual advances on a direct report at work, and then you do it in the office? You better have a good legal team if she (or he) decides it was harassment. Your interpretation of the events are just one side....

    And if you FIRE the person when they reject your sexual advances, I would bet on the prosecution.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I literally just slapped my forehead after reading your post. It is not illegal for a man to ask a woman to bed. For you to claim it is is beyond absurd.
    Considering your absurd ignorance on the subject matter, I find that laughable.

    Sexual Harassment
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #124
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    I don't. If I could, somehow, prohibit people from thinking of paedophilia, rape, etc., then I would -- but no one can do that. It's a moot point.
    Except you support thought crime laws.

  5. #125
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    1.)Yes, but then the law would not mean anything.
    2.)All the boss has to say is 'she told me to 'f' off, so I fired her' (whether it was true or not) and he gets around the law.
    3.)IMO, making a law that makes it illegal to fire someone strictly because they are pregnant would open up a whole can of worms.
    4.) And as far as I am concerned, there are too many laws as is.
    5.)Besides, all the woman has to do is tell the press that she was fired and that she is a pregnant woman who desperately needs her job. No boss that does not want terrible publicity is going to fire a pregnant woman unless he/she has one heck of a good reason. Just let market forces give this woman job security...not yet another law.
    6.)And finally, I think the government is involved in our lives FAR too much as it is - telling private businesses who they can and cannot fire is, IMO, none of the government's business.
    7.)But, each to their own.
    1.) no the law would be doing exactly what it is supposed to, you cant fire her for ONLY being pregnant
    2.) no, then she could sue and he would have to prove it etc pay court costs
    3.) it already exists
    4.) this i agree, all the stores in PA are breaking the law that dont have places to tie up my horse but im fine with discrimination laws
    5.) this could happen now without the law. and it should be a "heck of a good reason" to fire someone :shurg:
    Poor excuses dont make a law unworthy, discrimination laws are good ones they protect rights.
    6.) in general its not and the government doesnt get involved they only get involved when they are protecting rights which is their job
    7.) this is true but i side with rights
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #126
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,960

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Moderator's Warning:
    Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish[W:126]The personal comments and baiting are much too abundant. Please redirect yourselves to addressing the topic and only the topic. Discussing each other and lacing posts with bait or no content at all will lead to getting the boot and/or points.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) no the law would be doing exactly what it is supposed to, you cant fire her for ONLY being pregnant
    2.) no, then she could sue and he would have to prove it etc pay court costs
    3.) it already exists
    4.) this i agree, all the stores in PA are breaking the law that dont have places to tie up my horse but im fine with discrimination laws
    5.) this could happen now without the law. and it should be a "heck of a good reason" to fire someone :shurg:
    Poor excuses dont make a law unworthy, discrimination laws are good ones they protect rights.
    6.) in general its not and the government doesnt get involved they only get involved when they are protecting rights which is their job
    7.) this is true but i side with rights
    You mentioned rights. Where in the Constitution does it say a pregnant woman has more right to a job then a non-pregnant woman or any man?

  8. #128
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    You mentioned rights. Where in the Constitution does it say a pregnant woman has more right to a job then a non-pregnant woman or any man?
    where in the constitution does it say a woman has the right not to be raped? guess we can start raping women right?
    when people ask those types of questions its alway dishonest

    not to mention the other glaring fact that you are missing, discrimination laws dont give her MORE rights than any other woman that is simply a lie

    NOBODY can be fired for soley being pregnant this applies to everybody, ALL WOMEN
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    where in the constitution does it say a woman has the right not to be raped? guess we can start raping women right?
    when people ask those types of questions its alway dishonest

    not to mention the other glaring fact that you are missing, discrimination laws dont give her MORE rights than any other woman that is simply a lie

    NOBODY can be fired for soley being pregnant this applies to everybody, ALL WOMEN
    So, I assume, your answer is: it is not written in the Constitution that a pregnant woman has a greater right to a job then a non-pregnant woman/man.

    So, a pregnant woman does not have more of a right - under the Constitution - to her job then any other woman/man.

    And since it is not a right under the Constitution, then it is, IMO, none of the government's business whether a woman is fired because she is pregnant or not.

    You don't agree...fine.

    But you are not changing my mind and I am obviously not changing yours...so further discussion is pointless.

    So, good day.

  10. #130
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Should employers have the freedom to hire/fire for any reason they wish

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    1.)So, I assume, your answer is: it is not written in the Constitution that a pregnant woman has a greater right to a job then a non-pregnant woman/man.
    2.)So, a pregnant woman does not have more of a right - under the Constitution - to her job then any other woman/man.
    3.)And since it is not a right under the Constitution, then it is, IMO, none of the government's business whether a woman is fired because she is pregnant or not.
    4.)You don't agree...fine.
    5.)
    But you are not changing my mind and I am obviously not changing yours...so further discussion is pointless.
    6.)So, good day.
    1.) correct just like rape it not and its also not what is going on, this is why your strawman question COMPLETELY failed and lost to facts
    2.) no she doesnt like us all she cant be illegal discriminated against, see now you are learning the FACTS
    3.) nope see above your strawman fails again
    4.) has nothing to do with agreeing or disagree, your opinion nor mine matters to facts and facts prove you wrong.
    5.) our minds dont matter see #4 facts prove you wrong but you are free to believe what ever wrong thing you like
    6.) i accept your concession to facts and you have a good day too.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •