View Poll Results: Which major religion has the most insight into human nature?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christianity

    12 32.43%
  • Islam

    2 5.41%
  • Hinduism

    1 2.70%
  • Taoism (Traditional Chinese Religion)

    2 5.41%
  • Buddhism

    20 54.05%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: Which major religion has more insight into human nature?

  1. #51
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Which major religion has more insight into human nature?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    If so, social science seems to be giving us a +2 with regards to organization of the basic social unit.

    Call it Coincidence?
    For the sake of peace, I'll call it a happy blending of the ways and leave it at that.

  2. #52
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,171
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Which major religion has more insight into human nature?

    Certain schools of Buddhism, hands down. Not even a second thought.
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  3. #53
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Which major religion has more insight into human nature?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That's interesting. I choose Christianity for the same reason - that it starts from the presupposition that all humans are broken, wounded, flawed. Christ teaches that human error needs only repentance to be overcome; Buddha that thousands of lifetimes of pain and toil must instead be demanded.


    The bolded is the reason that I find it much too simplistic. The two really aren't the same at all. In Christianity, the source of suffering is human nature, and the things we do as a result of our human nature. The way to salvation is to repent and have faith that someone else can absolve us of our sins. In Buddhism, the source of suffering is our perception, and not our actual circumstances. The way to "salvation", although I hesitate to even put it in those terms, is through proper action, and proper thinking, among a few other concepts.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #54
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Which major religion has more insight into human nature?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I have studied all 5, and chose to adhere to Christianity, because it speaks true to me.


    However, I do not consider it disloyal to my faith to say I have found much that is admirable and wise in Buddhism and Taoism as well. Hinduism is interesting but never really struck me as having possession of any great insights. Islam never appealed at all, apologies to any offended in present company.
    I would have to get a alcohol and pork waver before I could ever seriously look at Islam. Although it stands to reason that Islam, being a post axial religion, would probably be pretty insightful into the human condition. Like the Gospels it contains a lot wise parables.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  5. #55
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Which major religion has more insight into human nature?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    The bolded is the reason that I find it much too simplistic. The two really aren't the same at all. In Christianity, the source of suffering is human nature, and the things we do as a result of our human nature. The way to salvation is to repent and have faith that someone else can absolve us of our sins. In Buddhism, the source of suffering is our perception, and not our actual circumstances. The way to "salvation", although I hesitate to even put it in those terms, is through proper action, and proper thinking, among a few other concepts.
    :raises eyebrow: first you claim that Christianity's yoke is too heavy, and then that it is too light. Which is it?

  6. #56
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Which major religion has more insight into human nature?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    :raises eyebrow: first you claim that Christianity's yoke is too heavy, and then that it is too light. Which is it?
    I don't care if it's too heavy or too light. I explained why I can't buy the simplicity of it.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #57
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Which major religion has more insight into human nature?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I don't care if it's too heavy or too light. I explained why I can't buy the simplicity of it.
    And then you described a process in Buddhism that is the same process in Christianity; "repentance" does not mean "feeling bad about something", it comes from a Roman military term which basically meant "to the rear, march", which is to say a reversal in your own direction, and active movement away, both in thought and in deed.

  8. #58
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Which major religion has more insight into human nature?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    And then you described a process in Buddhism that is the same process in Christianity; "repentance" does not mean "feeling bad about something", it comes from a Roman military term which basically meant "to the rear, march", which is to say a reversal in your own direction, and active movement away, both in thought and in deed.
    But Christians believe that you have faith (in Jesus) (or get saved, or however one likes to state it), then you can pass go, collect $200, and get to heaven regardless of what you have done. That is far too simplistic for me to have any faith in at all. I'm not claiming to know all the answers- just saying that I believe there's much more to the story than just that.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #59
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Which major religion has more insight into human nature?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    But Christians believe that you have faith (in Jesus) (or get saved, or however one likes to state it), then you can pass go, collect $200, and get to heaven regardless of what you have done.
    ....er, yes and no. Faith apart from works is dead - even satan knows that Jesus is the Son of God and offers salvation.

    That is far too simplistic for me to have any faith in at all. I'm not claiming to know all the answers- just saying that I believe there's much more to the story than just that.
    well, firstly, I wouldn't dismiss the simple, or even the deep complexity of the simple. Plenty of simple things are true, and plenty of simple things are rich and complex in application. Secondly, I would ask why you think that the Buddhist path is more complex, given that they both seem to involve roughly the same motion, with Buddhism simply containing much, much more of it due to having to do it through centuries.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,253

    Re: Which major religion has more insight into human nature?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Uhh...okay.

    So because every society 'had one' that must mean it was good?

    So the tens of millions that suffered/suffer are just 'aberrations' or 'unfortunate side effects' of the greater good of having 'God clubs'? And yet, outside of stoping weak-minded people from jumping out of windows, it offers zero good in of itself. They might as well have sat around believing in flatulence or grass or wind.
    ....

    Good day.
    Thank you for your fair wishes

    And no, it doesn't prove anything that every society developed along with its religion. It only shows that they did and others didn't.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •