View Poll Results: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do not follow immoral laws even if the chances of legal consequences are high and severe

    4 10.53%
  • I do not follow immoral laws only if there is a moderate chance of legal consequences

    5 13.16%
  • I only ignore immoral laws if there is a small chances of legal consequences

    5 13.16%
  • I follow all laws, even if I don't morally agree with them

    3 7.89%
  • I do what I want!

    10 26.32%
  • other (please explain)

    4 10.53%
  • taco rootabegas

    7 18.42%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 88

Thread: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

  1. #1
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    I am curious how people differentiate between legality and morality in their every day actions

  2. #2
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    If I know I will get away with it, I have absolutely zero concern whatsoever for the law. I have a moral code that supercedes the law, and that is one of peace and tolerance. I believe without a victim there can be no crime, and I try to live my life as to do no one harm.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #3
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    I tend to ignore laws unless there is a cop car around or something and follow my own moral code.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 01-20-14 at 12:16 PM.

  4. #4
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    It really depends on what you define as immoral laws. I don't necessarily see law and morality as the same thing. Some laws are moral, but not all morality is law. I tend to go by my own personal ethical standards. I can think of anything I would do that is illegal. Smoking pot may be the exception, but the legal status prevents me from doing so, as I am not willing to risk my professional license for it.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #5
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It really depends on what you define as immoral laws. I don't necessarily see law and morality as the same thing. Some laws are moral, but not all morality is law. I tend to go by my own personal ethical standards. I can think of anything I would do that is illegal. Smoking pot may be the exception, but the legal status prevents me from doing so, as I am not willing to risk my professional license for it.
    My personal view is that legality and morality have nothing to do with one another. At best, one could say that legality is the morality we could best agree on as a society, but that's all distorted with stuff like campaign contributions, lobbying, and other influence peddling these days and laws don't work very well as a reflection of our society as a result. too many people playing the game.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    I do not follow immoral laws, regardless of the potential consequences. There is no way anyone will ever take my firearms from me. Nobody will ever possess weed in my home, no matter how "legal" it is. Some things are just beyond the bounds of decency, no matter what the situation is.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,269

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    My personal view is that legality and morality have nothing to do with one another. At best, one could say that legality is the morality we could best agree on as a society, but that's all distorted with stuff like campaign contributions, lobbying, and other influence peddling these days and laws don't work very well as a reflection of our society as a result. too many people playing the game.
    A law without a moral foundation is simply the whim of the rulers. Any law that runs counter to an objective moral code is immoral. It is always the ability to make a moral argument against existing law that leads to its undoing. Slavery is a perfect example. The arguments of Lincoln and MLK were moral arguments which helped lead to the end of slavery and segregation.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    A law without a moral foundation is simply the whim of the rulers. Any law that runs counter to an objective moral code is immoral. It is always the ability to make a moral argument against existing law that leads to its undoing. Slavery is a perfect example. The arguments of Lincoln and MLK were moral arguments which helped lead to the end of slavery and segregation.
    Yet all too often today our laws and regulations are not based on Morality or Values, but rather on the whims and emotional reactions of lawmakers and their constituents.

  9. #9
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    A law without a moral foundation is simply the whim of the rulers. Any law that runs counter to an objective moral code is immoral. It is always the ability to make a moral argument against existing law that leads to its undoing. Slavery is a perfect example. The arguments of Lincoln and MLK were moral arguments which helped lead to the end of slavery and segregation.
    Thats nice and all, but in a society with 300 million people all slightly different moral codes. There can't really be any laws with a moral foundation (even citizens like tigger are for murder). and because we are a republic, we are our own rulers, so that part of your argument doesn't work very well either.

    everyone thinks that their moral code is the best one, so nobody in the end is in a position to say their moral code is the best one. I can explain that further if you don't get it though, but basically nobody's view is superior and in the end there is no objective way (and please dont go all natural law on me, that's not a superior position, even though libertarians tend to think it is, its still just an opinion, as valid as the guy down the street's)

    So, really, because of that, what I am really asking is how one interprets legal functions and internalized them, the philosophy behind why is unimportant for this query, as I already explained

  10. #10
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I do not follow immoral laws, regardless of the potential consequences. There is no way anyone will ever take my firearms from me. Nobody will ever possess weed in my home, no matter how "legal" it is. Some things are just beyond the bounds of decency, no matter what the situation is.
    I cannot support this kind of wanton anarchism. People like you are why we have society and the state. It's high time we began enforcing our laws and re-instilling discipline in those who would flout them like yourself. The Lord ordained that we set ourselves up in a society of laws, it isn't up to you to pick and choose what you would obey or disobey. You utterly fail to comprehend the responsibilities of citizenship.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •