View Poll Results: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do not follow immoral laws even if the chances of legal consequences are high and severe

    4 10.53%
  • I do not follow immoral laws only if there is a moderate chance of legal consequences

    5 13.16%
  • I only ignore immoral laws if there is a small chances of legal consequences

    5 13.16%
  • I follow all laws, even if I don't morally agree with them

    3 7.89%
  • I do what I want!

    10 26.32%
  • other (please explain)

    4 10.53%
  • taco rootabegas

    7 18.42%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 88

Thread: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

  1. #51
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    About the only law I break on a regular bases is speed limits. I leave for KC tomorrow and will probably drive 80 mph most of the trip. I don't do any illegal drugs, I never drink more than 2 and drive anymore.
    In Texas, you can drive 80, and usually not get pulled over, unless you are in the metro areas. Many of our highways have a speed limit of 75.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    In Texas, you can drive 80, and usually not get pulled over, unless you are in the metro areas. Many of our highways have a speed limit of 75.
    I know, I like TX! I will be in Dallas the last week of February. Unfortunately I drive through IL alot and they make use of a construction zone every 35 miles for extra revenue.

  3. #53
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Taco rootabegas has my vote! I really don't feel like I'm in any position to answer this poll due to my lack of involvement with laws I find immoral so I have no experience to help me out with what I really think.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    I would like to know what laws you are talking about.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #55
    User Lonely Eternity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Seen
    05-03-16 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    76

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Seeing as how morality differs from person to person, I can not really say yes or no to following any immoral laws. I simply do what I believe is right so long as it harms none. Murder is obviously wrong. Driving 5 mph over the speedlimit, although technically illegal, really doesn't harm anyone so I disregard it until I see a police officer. Marriage between homosexuals really doesn't effect anyone besides the couple and their individual families with no harm involved so I don't see a problem there. Theft is wrong. Spitting on the sidewalk, although disgusting, isn't worthy of punishment. Marijuana is alright. Basically depends on personal rationalization of the situation.

  6. #56
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,572

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I follow all laws because that's part of the social contract. If I disagree with a law, I will try to get the law changed, but until it actually is no longer in force, it is my responsibility to follow it, even if I disagree with it.
    So if a law were to say jews should be killed on sight, or politicians have the right to have sex with your wife, you would go along with such laws? I mean, until they're changed, they're laws and must be followed, right?

    I suspect you wouldn't, meaning there is in fact a limit to what you'll accept as an immoral law, yours just happens to be a lot higher than most.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,779

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So if a law were to say jews should be killed on sight, or politicians have the right to have sex with your wife, you would go along with such laws? I mean, until they're changed, they're laws and must be followed, right?

    I suspect you wouldn't, meaning there is in fact a limit to what you'll accept as an immoral law, yours just happens to be a lot higher than most.
    Those are nonsensical laws that would never exist in the United States or any first world countries. When you have to delve to this level of absurdity, it's clear that you've got no real argument to make.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #58
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,572

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Those are nonsensical laws that would never exist in the United States or any first world countries. When you have to delve to this level of absurdity, it's clear that you've got no real argument to make.
    Bahahahaha, the "our country would never make nonsensical laws" argument. What a bunch of exceptionalist bull****. Pick up a history book, Cephus.

    You're full of ****. You would NOT follow every law just because it's a law. All you've done is look at our laws and said "I can live by that, so I will." Only a coward would follow every law, no matter how heinous, just because it's a law.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  9. #59
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    My husband pointed out a few laws (policies) that used to exist that I could consider immoral laws (or policies). DADT and segregation. Segregation laws forced people to separate according to race, in fact even interfering with personal lives by arresting those of two different races that lived together. That is an immoral law because anytime it is enforced at all it is wrong and does harm to people without any benefit to society. DADT because it forced people to lie about or at least hide who they are simply because of who they wanted to date.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,779

    Re: How inclined are you to follow immoral laws?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Bahahahaha, the "our country would never make nonsensical laws" argument. What a bunch of exceptionalist bull****. Pick up a history book, Cephus.

    You're full of ****. You would NOT follow every law just because it's a law. All you've done is look at our laws and said "I can live by that, so I will." Only a coward would follow every law, no matter how heinous, just because it's a law.
    Then by all means, point out the specific laws that you mentioned and exactly when those specific laws were in place in the United States... ever. I'll wait.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •