View Poll Results: Would we even be discussing the NRA...

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    1 5.56%
  • Phfft! No way.

    15 83.33%
  • Other.

    2 11.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Would we even be discussing the NSA...

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Would we even be discussing the NSA...

    Would we even be discussing the NSA, and internal/international data collection & spying, if Edward Snowden had never done what he did?

    President Obama likes to talk about the need for a public discourse, and how this is healthy, as if it were necessary and on his agenda already, and so on, but would he be saying that if not backed into a corner to do so?
    Last edited by Helix; 01-19-14 at 01:18 PM. Reason: user request
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    re: Would we even be discussing the NSA...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Would we even be discussing the NRA, and internal/international data collection & spying, if Edward Snowden had never done what he did?

    President Obama likes to talk about the need for a public discourse, and how this is healthy, as if it were necessary and on his agenda already, and so on, but would he be saying that if not backed into a corner to do so?
    Do you mean the NSA? Not sure what Snowden has to do with the NRA.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  3. #3
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Would we even be discussing the NSA...

    No. Without Snowden, our ignorance would still be their bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #4
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: Would we even be discussing the NSA...

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Do you mean the NSA? Not sure what Snowden has to do with the NRA.
    Yes, I meant NSA. It's a typo and will be obvious to most people given the context of the rest of the post.

    Being too late for myself to correct it, I have requested a correction by the DP Powers that Be.
    Last edited by radcen; 01-19-14 at 12:51 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #5
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: Would we even be discussing the NSA...

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    No. Without Snowden, our ignorance would still be their bliss.
    This is precisely my thought, as well. Yet, there are people I know both here at DP and elsewhere that choose to take the President at his word when he says he welcomes the discussion.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #6
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    re: Would we even be discussing the NSA...

    Snowden did not release anything new or provide me with any information that I did not already know or at the very least, assume.
    All Snowden did was focus a spotlight on our methods for our enemies to notice more clearly.

    The majority was clueless, but only because the majority pays no attention and is always clueless.
    They will always continue to be clueless.

  7. #7
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Would we even be discussing the NSA...

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Snowden did not release anything new or provide me with any information that I did not already know or at the very least, assume.
    All Snowden did was focus a spotlight on our methods for our enemies to notice more clearly.

    The majority was clueless, but only because the majority pays no attention and is always clueless.
    They will always continue to be clueless.
    Assuming =\= knowing. Assuming it = conspiracy theorist.

    Knowing = victim.


    Pretty big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  8. #8
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Would we even be discussing the NSA...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Would we even be discussing the NSA, and internal/international data collection & spying, if Edward Snowden had never done what he did?

    President Obama likes to talk about the need for a public discourse, and how this is healthy, as if it were necessary and on his agenda already, and so on, but would he be saying that if not backed into a corner to do so?
    Although we all had a pretty good idea that our communications weren't exactly airtight secure, suspicions and claims about the extent of government eavesdropping were more or less relegated to the realm of conspiracy theory. It was Snowden's revelations that moved the discussion into the open on a completely official level. As a result of this, anytime someone talks about emails being read and the government keeping cell phone data people have pretty much stopped rolling their eyes.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: Would we even be discussing the NSA...

    Were it not for Snowden, the NSA would still be just another part of the federal bureaucracy described by a set of initials.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #10
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Would we even be discussing the NSA...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Although we all had a pretty good idea that our communications weren't exactly airtight secure, suspicions and claims about the extent of government eavesdropping were more or less relegated to the realm of conspiracy theory. It was Snowden's revelations that moved the discussion into the open on a completely official level. As a result of this, anytime someone talks about emails being read and the government keeping cell phone data people have pretty much stopped rolling their eyes.
    Good assessment.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •