View Poll Results: Should 13 be the legal age of full adult/rights & do you think its equal to 18yrs old

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes of course no doubt

    1 1.30%
  • yes with some concern

    1 1.30%
  • no but maybe 16

    8 10.39%
  • no thats insane

    59 76.62%
  • other

    8 10.39%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 176

Thread: 13 years old should be the legal age of an adult?

  1. #101
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 13 years old should be the legal age of an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) no you didnt, if you did qoute yourself giving me answers but thank you for doing it now. How about how old are you and id you have anything out of the ordinary in your childhood

    2.) well "i" dont have an idea of what logic is, maybe thats why your posts are totally failing, "im" going by what logic FACTUALLY is, the actual definition


    Logic
    a (1) : a science that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration : the science of the formal principles of reasoning
    b (1) : a particular mode of reasoning viewed as valid or faulty
    c : interrelation or sequence of facts or events when seen as inevitable or predictable

    youve provided none of this, so what is YOUR IDEA of logic?
    Not that im aware of as far as ordinary. Not sure what ordinary is.
    Logic to me is what makes sense to me. If it makes sense it's logical. Science, society laws, yea OK people go off that stuff. We have to follow laws, society is what makes our culture. Got it. i am far from *ordinary* and i do fall on scientific facts on some things, but that's because people say hmm have any scientific facts to back up your logic. do I really need it? If it makes sense to me, it logical, if it makes sense to me I'm gonna express it. that's the bottom line. I'm extreme in some of my views and *mainstream* in others. It's who I am.
    I try to enlighten if you will, doesn't always work the 1st or even the 10th time trying at times, but i still keep goin

  2. #102
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 13 years old should be the legal age of an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Your 'feelings' should have no impact on it unless they are based on sound science and psychology. Otherwise they would only be harmful.

    You refuse to look at the data that shows adolescent brain function is not nearly the same as adult and that our laws are based on reasonable protections for minors, even if the baseline for maturity/age are not precise.

    I didnt see you address this serious flaw in your 'belief' in the other thread:
    So really it falls on society and how we view 13 year old and bring them up.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,854

    Re: 13 years old should be the legal age of an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    I've already mentioned the coddling we do with our children, that in fact can hinder their growth. I do not need scientific evidence to back me up. I'm perfectly OK with arguing my views without them. 13 is a totally logical age IMO. marrying off etc etc. What is marriage exactly? something we invented along the way. Is 13 done developing? No but is enough along to carry them self and provide for them self. Heck yes, easier so in modern days then even 200 years ago. what's preventing it? Society and laws. That's the bottom line. Like I said don't have to agree with it, and really not trying to argue you should. Just stating my views
    @_@

    We had a health class in high school (all older than 13) where a semester-long assignment involved having to create a budget for and listing all the responsibilities for getting married and having a kid...and working it all out under that budget....job, finishing education, about how much you'd be making in 10 yrs if you finished an education vs. went right to work, had a job, a trade, or a profession (all very different), daycare, entertainment, food, clothes, medicine, rent, etc etc etc. We all got guidance (which you seem to say is all 13 yr olds need) and we all STILL gone blown out of the water. No one could make the numbers work in any reasonable fashion, unless they lived with their parents. Jobs out of high school pay little. Jobs for 13 yr olds? Arent even legal, lol.

    And you know what? Everybody decided it was a really bad idea. Funny...we were smart and decided to still BE kids WHILE we were kids. Huh...at least high schoolers have a little 'judgement' when confronted with cold hard facts.

    ..........................
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #104
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 13 years old should be the legal age of an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) which is meaningless to saying 13 = 18.
    2.) yes you do this is how debate and ot factual discussion works
    3.) again you havent offered any argument
    4.) one backed up with no facts and an unsupportable opinion
    5.) no its not in reality and todays world, again if you disagree all you have to do is back this claim up with facts or supportable logic
    6.) nope harder
    7.) fact,s reality, science, mental and physical and intellectual development
    8.) we know
    9.) yes and you are free to do so but without support they will never be taken seriously
    Because people like you are all about nope nope nope science science science. No open mind, just nope you are a crazy man.

  5. #105
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 13 years old should be the legal age of an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    @_@

    We had a health class in high school (all older than 13) where a semester-long assignment involved having to create a budget for and listing all the responsibilities for getting married and having a kid...and working it all out under that budget....job, finishing education, about how much you'd be making in 10 yrs if you finished an education vs. went right to work, had a job, a trade, or a profession (all very different), daycare, entertainment, food, clothes, medicine, rent, etc etc etc. We all got guidance (which you seem to say is all 13 yr olds need) and we all STILL gone blown out of the water. No one could make the numbers work in any reasonable fashion, unless they lived with their parents. Jobs out of high school pay little. Jobs for 13 yr olds? Arent even legal, lol.

    And you know what? Everybody decided it was a really bad idea. Funny...we were smart and decided to still BE kids WHILE we were kids. Huh...at least high schoolers have a little 'judgement' when confronted with cold hard facts.

    ..........................
    I don't think you are understanding where i am coming from, or what I am saying. I know how society treats our kids today and hinders them.

  6. #106
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: 13 years old should be the legal age of an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    I don't think you are understanding where i am coming from, or what I am saying. I know how society treats our kids today and hinders them.
    Yes - but is this type of a situation the moment to make a stand and try to change things?

    How about we do things like give them more personal responsibilities or something? Not - you know - instant Ma
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #107
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,854

    Re: 13 years old should be the legal age of an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Your 'feelings' should have no impact on it unless they are based on sound science and psychology. Otherwise they would only be harmful.

    You refuse to look at the data that shows adolescent brain function is not nearly the same as adult and that our laws are based on reasonable protections for minors, even if the baseline for maturity/age are not precise.

    I didnt see you address this serious flaw in your 'belief' in the other thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    So really it falls on society and how we view 13 year old and bring them up.
    That is exactly the OPPOSITE of what medical and psychological DATA indicate. They discuss brain development and function and hormonal influences. NOT external influences.

    Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #108
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 13 years old should be the legal age of an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Yes - but is this type of a situation the moment to make a stand and try to change things?

    How about we do things like give them more personal responsibilities or something? Not - you know - instant Ma
    That is pretty much what I'm trying to say. Gradual change. I know it wont happen overnight. I'm saying why can't it happen?

  9. #109
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 13 years old should be the legal age of an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That is exactly the OPPOSITE of what medical and psychological DATA indicate. They discuss brain development and function and hormonal influences. NOT external influences.

    Wow.
    wow is right

  10. #110
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,854

    Re: 13 years old should be the legal age of an adult?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    I don't think you are understanding where i am coming from, or what I am saying. I know how society treats our kids today and hinders them.
    And I GAVE you links that prove that society has little affect on BRAIN development and function and major hormonal changes. Biology vs. social science. HUGE distinction (altho with some overlap)

    Yowzaa.
    Last edited by Lursa; 01-18-14 at 06:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •