View Poll Results: Multiculturalism or Melting pot?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Multiculturalism

    8 18.60%
  • Melting pot

    27 62.79%
  • I can't make up my mind

    1 2.33%
  • Other

    7 16.28%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 102

Thread: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

  1. #81
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    No, I'm just saying that "pure" Americans should speak "pure" American English, whether they have black, yellow or white skin.
    For example, you would be a bad American since your British English would ruin that. I however would be much worse since English is not mother tongue and I am a poor English speaker too.
    So, the fact that I am a good mimic and can do a couple of passable American accents means that I could be a more 'pure' American than someone born there, but whose mother-tongue isn't American English and who has a strong, say Mexican accent? You might want to concentrate on something relevant.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  2. #82
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    American I consider one that speaks American English fluently.
    English I consider one that speaks English fluently.
    Canadian I consider one that speaks Canadian English fluently.
    etc.
    I speak Spanish fluently. I am not Spanish.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    So, the fact that I am a good mimic and can do a couple of passable American accents means that I could be a more 'pure' American than someone born there, but whose mother-tongue isn't American English and who has a strong, say Mexican accent? You might want to concentrate on something relevant.
    If you can keep that 24/7/365 + abide with the U.S. constitution, you are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    I speak Spanish fluently. I am not Spanish.
    And people can't tell Spanish is not your mother tongue?

  4. #84
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    No, I'm just saying that "pure" Americans should speak "pure" American English, whether they have black, yellow or white skin.
    For example, you would be a bad American since your British English would ruin that. I however would be much worse since English is not mother tongue and I am a poor English speaker too.
    Again you ain't from around here is ya fella???

    We don't have a 'pure' American English. Hell I have a most difficult time understanding New Yorkers and that Bronx accent compared to a spanglish mix. Then again if I order a 'Ceurs' in Philly the little girl looks at me like I am from mother Russia! It is a COORS to her.

    Then again 'Scoucers' in Northern England is SOOOOO different than proper 'London' English in the UK. then there is that whole west ender and cockney crap with damn near their own vocabulary some comics have a field day with.

    So there ain't even 'pure' English in England but I double dawg dare ya to call a West Ender not 'pure' English, or a Liverpool bloke that as well....

  5. #85
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    If you can keep that 24/7/365 + abide with the U.S. constitution, you are.
    That wouldn't be a problem, thus your argument is nonsensical.



    And people can't tell Spanish is not your mother tongue?
    That is not the definition of 'fluent'. Why should you regard one accent as superior to another?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Again you ain't from around here is ya fella???
    You don't have to be a genius to figure that out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    That wouldn't be a problem...
    I somewhat doubt it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    That is not the definition of 'fluent'. Why should you regard one accent as superior to another?
    Because the official (standard) language of a country is always superior to all local dialects. Thus BBC accent is superior to Sheffield accent.

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Because the official (standard) language of a country is always superior to all local dialects. Thus BBC accent is superior to Sheffield accent.
    Says you. You have an anus, I have an anus. You have an opinion, I have an opinion. Fortunately, neither your anus nor your opinion is shared by everyone.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  8. #88
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    I am coming to the thread late, but I checked 'melting pot' without any hesitation. Until recent decades, America has always been a country that was a beacon of individual liberty and opportunity to all who came here. Each new immigrant did not come here to be an Irishman or Scot or Italian or Pakistani or Japanese or Chinese or whatever who would live here instead of there. Immigrants came to be Americans and all that entailed. Each brought their culture of origin with them and blended it into the whole, enriching our unique American culture, but not seeking to change it. Immigrants intended to be Americans and expected no particular deference or concessions made to them for the culture they came out of.

    As one nation with one culture and one language we are strong and powerful and can accomplish anything. But the more sub groups we divide ourselves into, we become weaker, less cohesive, less of one nation, and diminish opportunity and progress for all.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Says you. You have an anus, I have an anus. You have an opinion, I have an opinion. Fortunately, neither your anus nor your opinion is shared by everyone.
    OK, Andalublue. Peace. Grrrr!

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port Jarvis NY
    Last Seen
    03-22-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    So am I. I was born in Sweden. If you're an American Citizen then you're 100% American. You're not less American just because you were born somewhere else.
    My friend, the "Volga's German" (his family, ethnic Germans, lived in Russia 200 years), in 1988, decided to immigrate to Germany. Consulate employee where he applied, asked him: "Are you studying German history? Are you know German tradition? Are you singing German songs? Because not enough to be a citizen of Germany, and not even enough to be a German by blood, to be a German."
    In your turns out, that any of the Turks living in Sweden and has already the Sweden citizenship- Swede? No it is not. He just Turks living in Sweden. Not yet, imbued with the spirit of the country. Until Sweden will be more important to him then Turkey.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •