View Poll Results: Multiculturalism or Melting pot?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Multiculturalism

    8 18.60%
  • Melting pot

    27 62.79%
  • I can't make up my mind

    1 2.33%
  • Other

    7 16.28%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 102

Thread: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I have respect for the Christian faith. Bad deeds were done by plenty of Christians over the centuries. You deal with it, and you still label them Christians. That being said, I didn't really start the tangent. That was you with the all-too-easy Nazi remark.

    You could have easily responded to the many other posts of mine about the melting pot or multiculturalism, but aside from your rather long and sympathetic response regarding outsiders (it still doesn't quite solve the overarching dilemma multiculturalism poses with regard to dominant culture), you were more than willing to move onto Nazi's (albeit, rather incorrectly).
    First, there is no dilemma regarding multiculturalism outside that which the bigots create themselves. If people in general were more accepting of other cultures rather than instinctively trying to subdue anyone who is different from them, we wouldn't have any dilemma at all.

    It's an ugly fact of human nature, and we see it manifest itself in other forms such as racism, intolerance to other social classes, genders, etc. However, in all these cases, it's the bigots that need to be reformed, not the victims.

    Same exact thing with immigration.

    As for the Nazi's, I simply meant that Nazis were intolerant of anyone who was unlike them. Cephus' response mirrored that intolerance by suggesting that everyone should conform to the American way. That the Nazis simply eliminated anyone who didn't conform whereas Cephus would like to forcefully integrate them matters little.... that would be like saying it's a poor analogy because the Nazi's spoke German and Americans don't.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I'm not, I'm not the one ignoring the fact that Hitler was a self-professed Catholic, that the Nazis marched around with belt buckles that said "God With Us" or that the Catholic Church smuggled Nazi war criminals out of Germany following WWII on Red Cross Visas. This is all undeniable historical fact. You want to pretend otherwise.
    I'm just not interested in the debate since it has nothing to do with the OP.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,796

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm just not interested in the debate since it has nothing to do with the OP.
    In other words, you've got nothing. That's alright, I didn't expect you to be able to back up your words anyhow. Back to the thread then, especially since you're the one that derailed it in the first place.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #64
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    First, there is no dilemma regarding multiculturalism outside that which the bigots create themselves. If people in general were more accepting of other cultures rather than instinctively trying to subdue anyone who is different from them, we wouldn't have any dilemma at all.

    It's an ugly fact of human nature, and we see it manifest itself in other forms such as racism, intolerance to other social classes, genders, etc. However, in all these cases, it's the bigots that need to be reformed, not the victims.

    Same exact thing with immigration.

    As for the Nazi's, I simply meant that Nazis were intolerant of anyone who was unlike them. Cephus' response mirrored that intolerance by suggesting that everyone should conform to the American way. That the Nazis simply eliminated anyone who didn't conform whereas Cephus would like to forcefully integrate them matters little.... that would be like saying it's a poor analogy because the Nazi's spoke German and Americans don't.
    Cultural pluralism, which the American system, and darn near what most self-expressed multiculturalists actually believe, merely states that one can keep portions of one's cultural identity, if it acknowledges and adapts to the dominant cultural system. Ie. Those who espouse multiculturalism in the United States typically mean that the government, institutions, and social workings of the country may be dominant, but if we include and respect the differences of one's former homeland, we can have a more harmonious and democratic way of life. Multiculturalism in its most strident form, makes no such move toward accepting the traditional hegemonic social underpinnings.

    Ethnic bigotry may have some or quite a lot to deal with it, but in many ways, this is also highly overstated.

    As for the Nazi's, I simply meant that Nazis were intolerant of anyone who was unlike them. Cephus' response mirrored that intolerance by suggesting that everyone should conform to the American way. That the Nazis simply eliminated anyone who didn't conform whereas Cephus would like to forcefully integrate them matters little.... that would be like saying it's a poor analogy because the Nazi's spoke German and Americans don't.
    No. It's a bad analogy because the Nazi's actually did not agree with Cephus's point of view. Would you honestly see a good Nazi accepting the notion that "maybe if we incorporate the tribal songs of Africa into our artistic heritage, we can strengthen the Reich's cultural righteousness"? How well can Nazi Germany accept reading Confucius in good, character building German schools? Perhaps when they read philosophy, the prideful Germans would enjoy reading Spinoza. Really, the Nazi regime was about promoting white, non-Jewish Germanic heritage, not incorporating numerous cultures into a superculture.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 01-17-14 at 08:16 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Cultural pluralism, which the American system, and darn near what most self-expressed multiculturalists actually believe, merely states that one can keep portions of one's cultural identity, if it acknowledges and adapts to the dominant cultural system. Ie. Those who espouse multiculturalism in the United States typically mean that the government, institutions, and social workings of the country may be dominant, but if we include and respect the differences of one's former homeland, we can have a more harmonious and democratic way of life. Multiculturalism in its most strident form, makes no such move toward accepting the traditional hegemonic social underpinnings.

    Ethnic bigotry may have some or quite a lot to deal with it, but in many ways, this is also highly overstated.
    Any degree of trying to force one's beliefs on another is inhumane. No adult human being has that right morally and, per our constitution, thankfully they don't have it legally either. Forced immersion is unethical as well as illegal.

    Bigotry is very real and cannot be overstated, it's a fundamental part of human nature. You simply deal with it by trying to educate the bigots that there's nothing wrong with brown skin, there's nothing wrong with people speaking Spanish in the grocery store, you're not owed anything because your family was on the Mayflower, etc.



    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    No. It's a bad analogy because the Nazi's actually did not agree with Cephus's point of view. Would you honestly see a good Nazi accepting the notion that "maybe if we incorporate the tribal songs of Africa into our artistic heritage, we can strengthen the Reich's cultural righteousness"? How well can Nazi Germany accept reading Confucius in good, character building German schools? Perhaps when they read philosophy, the prideful Germans would enjoy reading Spinoza. Really, the Nazi regime was about promoting Germanic heritage, not incorporating numerous cultures into a superculture.
    The point was simply that the belief that only a certain cultural norm is acceptable is shared by Cephus and the Nazis. Only their methods of eliminating diversity differ. No need to get in to it any more than that.

    Diversity is an asset, not a dilemma.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Multiculturalism as a political doctrine is predicated upon double standards and these double standards are a product of overcompensation brought on by guilt. Instead of the same standards being applied to all people, multiculturalist dogma demands that different standards apply to some, and inevitably these double standards support practices that are extremely illiberal in nature. It is really quite racialist when it gets right down to it as certain groups are afforded greater leeway when it comes to their lack of respect for human rights.

    What galls me is the Orwellian nature of the multiculturalist leftists being the chief impediment to the advancement of human rights to all people by supporting knuckle-dragging backwardness that is so extremely conservative in nature as to be off the charts. Hypocrites all.
    Examples or quotes to back up these claims?

  7. #67
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,970

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    What's disruptive is people like you who have a closed-minded attitude toward other cultures. If you would accept these immigrants as they are you wouldn't have these problems.
    Whether or not I'm tolerant has little to do with an immigration policy that has no rhyme or reason, and is causing social problems in the urban centers.

    Like I said, it's the influx that's the problem, not immigration itself.

  8. #68
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    So am I. I was born in Sweden. If you're an American Citizen then you're 100% American. You're not less American just because you were born somewhere else.
    Like it or not, yes, you are less American. Recent ignorant Republican rhetoric aside, you can't be the Pres if you're not a natural born citizen.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #69
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,501
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Please, choose sides.

    I for one who wants different cultures but I also think they should stay apart, not mix together in a Tower of Babylon. For example, If one wants to imigrate to a country, one should adopt the culture, not try to impose his/hers on the locals. What do you think?

    Doesn't have to be either adopt the culture or impose your own. There is a middle thing.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  10. #70
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Multiculturalism vs Melting pot

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Who gets to decide what those norms are? I think you're well-intentioned but I believe you're wrong here.

    An adult has a right to believe whatever he wants politically and any attempt to force others to think the way you do is misplaced.
    Essentially, the law dictates the basic structure but to some extent you should learn how those in your community treat each if you want to avoid problems. Where I grew up, for example, it was unacceptable (in most cases) to call the cops on your neighbors without first discussing the problem with them. Obviously, violent crimes and major infractions needed immediate police involvement but those were very rare and usually involved people outside the neighborhood.

    I wouldn't want to force anyone to believe the same things I do. What a boring world that would be, all of us the same. That said, see above about local customs. You tread on those at your peril.


    I didn't say anything at ALL about politics so why you would mention it is beyond me. Politically, you should be able to believe whatever you want without fear of retribution as long as you're not breaking the law.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •