View Poll Results: Could people with cars be poor?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    53 92.98%
  • No

    4 7.02%
  • Idk

    0 0%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66

Thread: Could people with cars be poor?

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,069

    Re: Could people with cars be poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    If this is poor, what is this?

    that's also poor.

  2. #12
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: Could people with cars be poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Hi fellas,

    I recall one film ("Pay it forward") where an old woman was a bum and at the same time was driving some gas-guzzler* around.

    So, if one has money for car and gas, should s/he be considered poor? Should s/he receive welfare, food stamps and such? Please, discuss.


    * (well, at least from European perspective )
    Well, if you live in your car, I'd consider that relatively poor. "Poverty" is relative to when and where you live

    'A linen shirt, for example, is, strictly speaking, not a necessary of life. The Greeks and Romans lived, I suppose, very comfortably, though they had no linen. But in the present times, through the greater part of Europe, a creditable day-labourer would be ashamed to appear in public without a linen shirt, the want of which would be supposed to denote that disgraceful degree of poverty, which, it is presumed, nobody can well fall into without extreme bad conduct.'
    From Adam Smith. Economist's View: Adam Smith on Poverty

    So if you have an old car, especially if you live in it, that is considered "poor" in today's society.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Could people with cars be poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I do find the question a little judgemental, however, and I personally hate itemizing a person's possessions when truly and fairly trying to determine their level of need.
    Yeah, but it's somewhat disturbing when you see someone puttiing 100 bucks on a repair and then whining he has nothing to eat.

  4. #14
    Advisor Chocolate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    America!
    Last Seen
    10-15-15 @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    563

    Re: Could people with cars be poor?

    well the usa has a huge car culture and nearly everyone here has a car (Which is quite different from vietnam) I think even if they have a car they can still be poor and need government help it's not like a third world country where a car is a huge deal

  5. #15
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Could people with cars be poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Yeah, but it's somewhat disturbing when you see someone puttiing 100 bucks on a repair and then whining he has nothing to eat.
    Depends on your perspective. Would it be better to put that $100 on a transit pass for a month's worth of public transit rides to get to/from his/her minimum wage job? When you're hungry, spending money on shoes may seem a misplaced priority, but if the shoes you have are hurting your feet and you need to walk to/from work or you walk a lot on the job, spending money on shoes is a priority that helps keep your meager income secure. Likewise, if you need the car to get to work and if you don't have the car you don't have work and you don't have income and so you don't have money for food, then fixing the car is investing in your ability to generate income going forward.

    I appreciate what you're saying but the example is a really poor one. If you said "could people who buy lottery tickets, or cigarettes, or people who gamble be poor?" I might more readily agree with you because spending what little money you have on pipe dreams or diversions is wrong. A car seems far more a necessity to me.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #16
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,337

    Re: Could people with cars be poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Depends on your perspective. Would it be better to put that $100 on a transit pass for a month's worth of public transit rides to get to/from his/her minimum wage job? When you're hungry, spending money on shoes may seem a misplaced priority, but if the shoes you have are hurting your feet and you need to walk to/from work or you walk a lot on the job, spending money on shoes is a priority that helps keep your meager income secure. Likewise, if you need the car to get to work and if you don't have the car you don't have work and you don't have income and so you don't have money for food, then fixing the car is investing in your ability to generate income going forward.

    I appreciate what you're saying but the example is a really poor one. If you said "could people who buy lottery tickets, or cigarettes, or people who gamble be poor?" I might more readily agree with you because spending what little money you have on pipe dreams or diversions is wrong. A car seems far more a necessity to me.
    Good post, CJ! I found myself shaking my head in agreement. I never thought of shoes before, but you are right. You don't have to buy $200 shoes, though, but employers do make initial judgments based on body language, and if you are uncomfortable because of ill-fitting shoes, it's going to show. Sad, but true.

    Greetings, CJ.

  7. #17
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Could people with cars be poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good post, CJ! I found myself shaking my head in agreement. I never thought of shoes before, but you are right. You don't have to buy $200 shoes, though, but employers do make initial judgments based on body language, and if you are uncomfortable because of ill-fitting shoes, it's going to show. Sad, but true.

    Greetings, CJ.
    Good afternoon Lady P - hope all is well with you.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #18
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Could people with cars be poor?

    Like with the wealthy, I'd say there are some levels of poverty in this nation -- not to mention, being poor in a nation like America is different from some third world nation that is still developing. That aside, a car is not a luxury for many Americans, it's a necessity.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  9. #19
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Could people with cars be poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Hi fellas,

    I recall one film ("Pay it forward") where an old woman was a bum and at the same time was driving some gas-guzzler* around.

    So, if one has money for car and gas, should s/he be considered poor? Should s/he receive welfare, food stamps and such? Please, discuss.


    * (well, at least from European perspective )
    Poor does not necessarily mean broke.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #20
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Could people with cars be poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    There are some people in my country, gypsies and people we call "cocalari" (romanians who behave like gypsies) who live in shambles or some ****ty apartments but drive mercedes benz or something. Now they aren't rich, they can't afford to live in a decent place but they afford to have a car to flash to their retarded friends and look cool when they drive to the club where they know their retarded friend the bouncer so they can get in.

    But sensible people who happen to live in poverty can own cars that are old or poorly maintained.
    I was always taught to not judge someone by their car. In America, or at least South Florida, you will see lower middle class Americans with a brand new, shiny Lexus in the driveway. YET, you can pass by a mansion with a few years old Ford truck and a Toyota Avalon.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •