View Poll Results: What is more important

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scholastic and worldly knowledge

    2 6.90%
  • Treating each other kindly

    6 20.69%
  • A little of both

    21 72.41%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: Sophistication,honesty, or a bit of both?

  1. #41
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Sophistication,honesty, or a bit of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I suppose, if the two were in fact mutually exclusive I'd have to choose the sophisticated side of things.



    Everywhere has those same type of areas, I really need to spend more time in Louisiana. I was in Alabama and Mississippi for a while a few years back and it was pretty decent.
    Obviously if a person has more to speak about things are going to be more interesting IMO, but still, I guess there is nothing worse than a person who gets snobbish about that kind of thing.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #42
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Sophistication,honesty, or a bit of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    No that's definitely true.

    The same thing happens in other countries too, I was in Germany last year and witnessed similar treatment. Although, I think that Boston has a pretty strong anti-outsider attitude.
    It's Us vs Them. That goes right back to infancy. It's a conditioned response.

  3. #43
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Sophistication,honesty, or a bit of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Obviously if a person has more to speak about things are going to be more interesting IMO, but still, I guess there is nothing worse than a person who gets snobbish about that kind of thing.
    Morally I have to agree with you, but as a knee-jerk reaction I've always been aligned with the classic line "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

    Growing up as a small poor kid in a family drawn towards alcoholism I developed thick skin early on. As it's happened before, I've been forced to choose between working/ hanging out with a nice-simple person v. a intelligent-jert, I've usually chosen the jerk.

    I like laughing.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    It's Us vs Them. That goes right back to infancy. It's a conditioned response.
    It's very true, I've seen this theory apply across a wide spectrum of groups too. Everything from military branch to geographic residence. I've read a lot by both Rousseau and Voltaire and think that these constructed social divides are almost something inherently built into the set of human instincts. I think someone in this thread's already pointed out that they are part of our factory-installed survival equipment, which I tend to agree with. As omnivores, humans are pattern searching creatures, a trait that fits right into stereotyping and what we are talking about here.

    Unfortunately, I think 99% our current stereotypes are illogical and don't actually serve to assist in the survival of anyone anymore. It's one of those components of the human species that's essentially lost its usefulness. . . like the vestigial organs we carry around.

    However, I think that most people

  4. #44
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Sophistication,honesty, or a bit of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I think I would actually go crazy outside of the city just because I like fast paced life, and the quiet would probably drive me nuts in the long term. I agree with all of this, I think my general musing to create the thread started in the extreme but your post is spot on.
    I like living in the city for all of the culture and things to do. However, I get sick of all the people sometimes and if I did not get outside fishing or on the trail regularly, I would go crazy.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    Re: Sophistication,honesty, or a bit of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Not necessarily. I know a guy who, intellectually, is as dumb as a rock, but I envy his day-to-day common sense.

    Mileage may vary according to the individual.
    And the individual's type of sophistication?

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Sophistication,honesty, or a bit of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I think I would actually go crazy outside of the city just because I like fast paced life, and the quiet would probably drive me nuts in the long term. I agree with all of this, I think my general musing to create the thread started in the extreme but your post is spot on.
    I like it personally, we have a great place to raise kids, no knockout crime, no gangs, 1-3 murders/year- 3 being high. I can be in 7 metro areas in 1.5-5 hours depending on the place and our cost of living is much lower.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,265

    Re: Sophistication,honesty, or a bit of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Do you have any examples? I'm not sure what type of sophistication is normally required to make sound decisions. That sounds to me like a pretty broad definition of sophistication.
    I know, what you mean and thought about it. I meant the use of sophisticated economic models to decide on policy, to take an example, instead of saying "this is the good thing to do".

  8. #48
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Sophistication,honesty, or a bit of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Okay so I am curious, there has been for years a slight against people who are rural in nature and aren't necessarily the best educated or most traveled people. So here is the question, is it better to be worldly but dishonest or unsophisticated but good at heart? The reason I ask is that I've been thinking of a really rural parish in which my folks owned a camp for years prior to hurricane Rita, some of my favorite type of people lived along the route but they were not scholarly types, just people living their lives and being the best people they could be..............salt of the Earth types in my opinion and worth thousands of "scholarly peers".
    I think that both are important. Ignorance isn't a good thing, but neither is being dishonest. I suppose if I had to choose one over the other I'd take honest ignorance, but they're both bad qualities.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  9. #49
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: Sophistication,honesty, or a bit of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Okay so I am curious, there has been for years a slight against people who are rural in nature and aren't necessarily the best educated or most traveled people. So here is the question, is it better to be worldly but dishonest or unsophisticated but good at heart? The reason I ask is that I've been thinking of a really rural parish in which my folks owned a camp for years prior to hurricane Rita, some of my favorite type of people lived along the route but they were not scholarly types, just people living their lives and being the best people they could be..............salt of the Earth types in my opinion and worth thousands of "scholarly peers".
    I really think you need both for "best results." Being worldly helps you apply that good heart in more situations. If you're motivated by a good heart, it can help you understand and have empathy for people and situations that you don't necessarily relate to.

    Lacking either one can result in problems. A good heart that lacks understanding can still wind up doing some awful things -- bigotry of various stripes comes to mind. But of course, an educated person with bad motivation is quite dangerous.

  10. #50
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Sophistication,honesty, or a bit of both?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I like living in the city for all of the culture and things to do. However, I get sick of all the people sometimes and if I did not get outside fishing or on the trail regularly, I would go crazy.
    Yeah, definitely agree with that. It's nice to take a break from a fast pace, I just think that I'm wired to keep moving so a less crowded area would probably get to me eventually.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •