View Poll Results: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of America?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Optimistic

    24 17.27%
  • Somewhat Optimistic

    29 20.86%
  • Dunno

    11 7.91%
  • Somewhat Pessimistic

    47 33.81%
  • Very Pessimistic

    28 20.14%
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 276

Thread: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of America?

  1. #101
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of Amer

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    I get what your all about. It's didn't take long. Don't need to know anything more.
    You're. It.

    I understand.

    I hope you soon feel better. Regards, homie.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of Amer

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Looking at just the earth's mass is myopic. The only thing that is relevant to us is the biosphere. If we continue to destroy it in pursuit of the earth's mass then the huge numbers you quote will be irrelevant. The biosphere exists on a thin slice of the surface, much like bacteria on our skin. If conditions aren't right, we all die. It's not hysteria or political agendas, it's mere scientific fact. All the oil spills, fracking, and fukushima are literally killing the biosphere. Species are dying at unprecedented rates, not because of global warming even, but because of our human waste.

    I just don't understand the ideology behind technological elitism that continues to blindly go forward under the assumption that we will always be able to solve our problems with new tech. Technology always provides short term gains and new long term challenges. People often site medical advances for why humans are now living so long, but what's the point of extending the life of someone who is essentially contributing nothing to human advancement, and watches TV all day while stuffing their face?



    Translation: don't think about the future, just do what's needed now. I feel personally responsible for future generations of not only humans, but other living beings on this planet. I feel a kindred relationship with all of them, probably because I was raised in a natural environment and had regular access to nature. Most humans live in urban ghettos now, completely divorced from their source of life. It's hard for me to live knowing that most of the systems I am plugged into are in some way contributing to the suffering or death of so many of our ecological brethren.

    Eventually, the world ideal must change - growth should no longer be desirable, but rather the ideal economic growth, both globally and locally, should be 0%. We should strive to control resources, populations, and economic systems to the extent that this will become both livable and sustainable. Financing in this new world should be done on a similar basis - at extremely low, if any interest, with tight controls and strict repayment schedules. Also, Nation states should no longer be permitted to accumulate debt. In addition, no longer will our natural resources undergo raping and pillaging to sustain our energy needs, which can hopefully be cut by a factor of 10-25 within a generation.

    It's not a step backwards. It's an acknowledgement that the human race has become large and sophisticated enough to balance itself at an ideal level, in terms of size and societal comfort. Our ambitions shouldn't be tempered, but rather more focused. The childish need to flaunt status through how much disposable crap you have should be looked down upon. The survival of humanity is no longer in question (outside of self-destruction or act of God), and we do not need 10 billion people on the planet; nor do we need any of them to be billionaires. It will require a massive jolt to dislodge ourselves from our current, reckless trajectory, but it will be worth it. Make no mistake though, we will be dislodged either way, whether it's by our own will or an act of nature. If the biosphere is degraded enough, we are finished.
    How is it nearsighted to point out that our planet is enormous and elementally rich? If all that matters is the 'biosphere' then it is of critical importance since the biosphere is nothing more than the sum of our ecosystems... which might better be understood as our planet. Using the definition you seem to be advancing it wouldn't make sense to pay more than a passing glace at the prodigious mineral resources that lie beneath our feet which is of course ridiculous.

    Moreover you are advancing astonishingly unsupported claims. There is no compelling evidence whatsoever that 'oil spills, fracking, and fukushima are literally killing the biosphere'. AGW is certainly a real and human centric phenomena but it is correlated to the sum of our industrial output not to micro events like an oil spill. Not to mention that there is ample evidence that natural gas development reduces carbon output, while nuclear most assuredly does.

    While the assumption that we will always be able to innovate ourselves out of scarcity, obstacles, and other impediments rooted in the fact that we always have. It's a fairly good precedent.

    All you've really said is that you don't trust technology, think the biosphere is being poisoned, and without evidence argued that the 'growth model' has reached its limits despite evidence presented that such thinking has been very wrong in the past.

  3. #103
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of Amer

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    You are probably right. Then again, the tea baggers have about as much in common as the patriots that founded the country as today's Republicans have in common with the Grand Ole Party.... How do they say that? Republicans in Name Only; Patriots in their mind only....
    Well, certainly Democrats share nothing in common with what was called Democrat 30 years ago. For example, the radicals known as Progressives have infected the Democrat party, and seem hellbent on creating more economic problems like they have in California. When the citizens in the other 49 states truley understand the damage they are causing, they will eliminate the movement, just as it was eliminated in the early 1900's.

    IMO, these are cyclic societal outbreaks that are no different than those of the past, and from which the country will return from, as it continues with it's capitalist and freedom focused foundation.

  4. #104
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of Amer

    Quote Originally Posted by loader View Post
    I live in "anticipation of a civil war". Any optimism. I do not believe, even, that healthy forces in the country will win.



    I have no idea how long you will live, but you will not live to see a civil war in the USA.

    Wait and see.




    "Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

  5. #105
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of Amer

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    I think feminism has done irreputable damage.
    It has destroyed the family and destabalized society. I think we will be in for a rude awakening within the next 2 generations.



    That's your opinion.

    Which you are entitled to and with which I and the majority of Americans disagree.

    Misogyny has done a lot more damage to the USA than feminism ever did.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

  6. #106
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of Amer

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    It's against my nature but, given the history of other countries that have traveled down the same road we're on...very pessimistic.



    I sincerely hope that you live long enough to learn how very wrong you are.


    Have a nice day.

    I hope that you enjoy it, even though I'm sure that you'll find something wrong with it.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 01-15-14 at 01:46 PM.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port Jarvis NY
    Last Seen
    03-22-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of Amer

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I have no idea how long you will live, but you will not live to see a civil war in the USA.

    Wait and see.
    Sorry shrubnose, it's just a quote.



    Salvador Dali painting "Premonition of Civil War".

  8. #108
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of Amer

    Quote Originally Posted by Calvincoolidge View Post
    We are done. The end.



    Anyone who really thinks that he is done is done.

    You may be done, but guess what? The rest of the USA will carry on without you.





    "One monkey don't stop no show" ~ Stick McGhee


    :

  9. #109
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of Amer

    Quote Originally Posted by loader View Post
    Sorry shrubnose, it's just a quote.




    Salvador Dali painting "Premonition of Civil War".



    Hey, no problem I use a lot of quotes myself from time to time.

    I know that things don't look too great in the USA for a lot of people, but you can't give up hope- if we do that we are really and truly done.

    If I didn't have hope I wouldn't even bother to get up out of bed in the morning.

    Better days are coming, if we work together and make them happen.

  10. #110
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What is your level of optimism concerning the future of the United States of Amer

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    Where's the "we're ****ed" option?

    I'm clicking the screen, I think I'm doing it wrong.



    Maybe you're right-clicking when you should be left-clicking.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •