View Poll Results: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure, I'd take a free trip to Paris, sounds great!

    72 79.12%
  • No, I'd rather not.

    17 18.68%
  • Where's Paris?

    2 2.20%
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 288

Thread: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

  1. #131
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    So you complain about another poster about saying something negative about France and turn around and do the same thing about the United States? Classy! There are plenty of good people and places ALL OVER the United States.
    Not at all -- the point was, I feel the same way he does, politically speaking, towards much of the US. I think these regions are in general backwards, unprogressive and painfully conservative.

    But my entire point was that I would never advocate bombing them for that, and in fact I love visiting them and learning more about the cultures and histories in those very places that I disagree with so much.


    The poster I was complaining about was very conservative, and probably didn't like France for being socialist, haughty and European. But because of his dislike of French politics, he said he would rather visit Paris in a bomber.

    I'm saying, that's petty and sad. You don't have to agree with a place politically to find it interesting, fun and full of great people. My example was the American South -- great people, great history, great culture, awful, awful politics.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port Jarvis NY
    Last Seen
    03-22-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    I guess if loader used that 'dirty Muslim city' line in a stand-up routine in France he'd be fined for hate speech. Oh wait, wrong minority.
    Possible. But here we have freedom of speech?
    I did't traveled by France. One hour on the bullet-train and I was in Brussels. But my relatives in Belgium, were very categorical in their statements about Paris.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port Jarvis NY
    Last Seen
    03-22-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    If Paris is a "dirty muslim city" as loader contends, he might consider going around...not pass through. Gosh, I can think of a lot of options here....like go straight to Belgium and not pass through France.
    The plane was to Paris. From there the train.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port Jarvis NY
    Last Seen
    03-22-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Never been there and have no desire to go there. Now give me a free trip to Bangkok and I would be on the next plane out. To me Europe is way too much like the United States.
    Not quite. In the U.S., only half of the population has lost the trail. Europe is sick and dying. And nothing will help them.

  5. #135
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,809

    Re: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    This is a fascinating response -- please tell me more. To be honest, I can't imagine someone not being interested in history, especially European history -- if you could, could you tell me why it doesn't appeal to you?
    Exactly, there is so much history there and so much of it to see.

    In no particular order (off the top of my head)

    Musée d'Orsay - Its collection of Impressionist paintings alone is worth the visit and even more enjoyable when you consider the Impressionists and how they struggled and were ignored.

    Arc de Triomphe

    Notre Dame

    Palace of Fontainebleau

    Les Invalides

    Has anyone mentioned Versailles? Not exactly Paris, but almost.

    Montmartre - You want history, pick a period.

    The shops, the small cafes, the incredible food, people watching, walking along the Seine, quaint local customs and the beauty of the city itself is difficult to describe. It is truly a beautiful city.

    We have tromped around all over France many times and love it all, well not Calais, but we always spend some time in Paris.

    We have had grand times in Edinburgh as well, by the way. It is another wonderful city to visit. Our first visit we discovered that three pints of a wee heavy and the rest of your day is going to be spent in the pub. You aren't going anywhere else nor do you want to.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,788

    Re: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

    Paris is one of the most disgusting cities in Europe.

    An extremly rich center in which you cant even buy a bottle of water for under 4 euros, surrounded by blocks of flats filled with muggers and cutthroats.

    Everyone who has been there knows that for the past 20 years, Paris is simply feces with a little bit of gold dust sprinkeld over it.

    If you make a Eurotrip, go to: Madrid, Barcelona, Prag, Gdanzk, Warsaw, Berlin, Leipzig, Hamburg, Rotterdamn, London, Göteburg, Kopenhagen, Milan, Rome, Rimini and if it has to be France - go to Toulouse.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Exactly, there is so much history there and so much of it to see.

    In no particular order (off the top of my head)

    Musée d'Orsay - Its collection of Impressionist paintings alone is worth the visit and even more enjoyable when you consider the Impressionists and how they struggled and were ignored.

    Arc de Triomphe

    Notre Dame

    Palace of Fontainebleau

    Les Invalides

    Has anyone mentioned Versailles? Not exactly Paris, but almost.

    Montmartre - You want history, pick a period.

    The shops, the small cafes, the incredible food, people watching, walking along the Seine, quaint local customs and the beauty of the city itself is difficult to describe. It is truly a beautiful city.

    We have tromped around all over France many times and love it all, well not Calais, but we always spend some time in Paris.

    We have had grand times in Edinburgh as well, by the way. It is another wonderful city to visit. Our first visit we discovered that three pints of a wee heavy and the rest of your day is going to be spent in the pub. You aren't going anywhere else nor do you want to.
    I really wanted to see Versailles. The historical gravitas the place carries is simply obscene. Unfortunately, however; the time table I was on didn't really work, so I didn't get the chance.

    I toured the Louvre (and got my picture with the Mona Lisa ), Notre Dame, and the Arc de Triomphe though. While I didn't get to go inside due to the absurd line, I also walked up to and around the Eiffel Tower.

    Everything else (related to the landmarks, at least) more or less lived up to my expectations, but I was actually a bit disappointed with Notre Dame. The building is frankly kind of puny by modern standards.

    The Basilica in Washington D.C. is easily like three or four times its size.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Paris is one of the most disgusting cities in Europe.

    An extremly rich center in which you cant even buy a bottle of water for under 4 euros, surrounded by blocks of flats filled with muggers and cutthroats.

    Everyone who has been there knows that for the past 20 years, Paris is simply feces with a little bit of gold dust sprinkeld over it.

    If you make a Eurotrip, go to: Madrid, Barcelona, Prag, Gdanzk, Warsaw, Berlin, Leipzig, Hamburg, Rotterdamn, London, Göteburg, Kopenhagen, Milan, Rome, Rimini and if it has to be France - go to Toulouse.
    I wouldn't go quite that far. However, I would agree that the city really was not so nice as it's sparkling reputation would suggest.

    The museums, landmarks, and food were all pretty good. It was everything else that was the problem.

  9. #139
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Exactly, there is so much history there and so much of it to see.

    In no particular order (off the top of my head)

    Musée d'Orsay - Its collection of Impressionist paintings alone is worth the visit and even more enjoyable when you consider the Impressionists and how they struggled and were ignored.

    Arc de Triomphe

    Notre Dame

    Palace of Fontainebleau

    Les Invalides

    Has anyone mentioned Versailles? Not exactly Paris, but almost.

    Montmartre - You want history, pick a period.

    The shops, the small cafes, the incredible food, people watching, walking along the Seine, quaint local customs and the beauty of the city itself is difficult to describe. It is truly a beautiful city.

    We have tromped around all over France many times and love it all, well not Calais, but we always spend some time in Paris.

    We have had grand times in Edinburgh as well, by the way. It is another wonderful city to visit. Our first visit we discovered that three pints of a wee heavy and the rest of your day is going to be spent in the pub. You aren't going anywhere else nor do you want to.
    You don't happen to remember which pubs you visited, out of curiosity?

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,788

    Re: Would You Take a Free Trip to Paris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I wouldn't go quite that far. However, I would agree that the city really was not so nice as it's sparkling reputation would suggest.

    The museums, landmarks, and food were all pretty good. It was everything else that was the problem.
    The Louvre museum was one of the most grotesk sights I ever had in my life.

    It cemented my opinion that mankind didn`t know how to appreciate art, when I watched hundreds of people buy expensive tickets and crowd up for hours to make one single picture of a Mona Lisa hidden behind thick glass.

    And to then simply leave the museum after having made that pick.........




    Whilest some of the most impressive and amazing European artworks of the past 800 years, stolen by Napoleon between 1792 and 1812 from all over the continent and beyond was on display just a few more steps away.

    Mankind is doomed.

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •