View Poll Results: Assuming a 40 hour work week, is minimum wage a lot?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give your general geographic location

    9 16.67%
  • No, give your general geographic location

    45 83.33%
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 456

Thread: Is minimum wage a lot?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Is minimum wage a lot?

    Assuming a 40 hour work week, is minimum wage a lot of money?

  2. #2
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Assuming a 40 hour work week, is minimum wage a lot of money?
    Nope.

  3. #3
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,898

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Assuming a 40 hour work week, is minimum wage a lot of money?
    Yup - bunches.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  4. #4
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Assuming a 40 hour work week, is minimum wage a lot of money?
    Depends on the cost of living in the area.
    PeteEU

  5. #5
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    No, but it's not supposed to be. Minimum wage is supposed to be the lowest-end jobs, designed to give high school and college kids who have no real financial responsibilities, the ability to learn a work ethic and gain job skills so they can be promoted to better jobs down the line. They are not intended to raise a family on and anyone who tries to do so is a complete idiot.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #6
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, but it's not supposed to be. Minimum wage is supposed to be the lowest-end jobs, designed to give high school and college kids who have no real financial responsibilities, the ability to learn a work ethic and gain job skills so they can be promoted to better jobs down the line. They are not intended to raise a family on and anyone who tries to do so is a complete idiot.
    Let's not draw generalizations. Some people who work minimum wage have college degrees, and simply can't apply said degree in the local area. Others have been laid off, forced to work minimum wage to support their family until they find another job opportunity. Some have families who cannot afford to pay for college, and are stuck working minimum wage for several years just to make enough to get started. Others are kicked out of the house by their parents, find themselves with no financial backing for college, and work minimum wage as the only source of income for subsistence. Some work minimum wage because they enjoy the job, very rare, yes. How is anyone trying to raise a family on minimum wage an "idiot"? Asides from assigning the pejorative to them due to the futility of their struggle.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  7. #7
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Let's not draw generalizations. Some people who work minimum wage have college degrees, and simply can't apply said degree in the local area. Others have been laid off, forced to work minimum wage to support their family until they find another job opportunity. Some have families who cannot afford to pay for college, and are stuck working minimum wage for several years just to make enough to get started. Others are kicked out of the house by their parents, find themselves with no financial backing for college, and work minimum wage as the only source of income for subsistence. Some work minimum wage because they enjoy the job, very rare, yes. How is anyone trying to raise a family on minimum wage an "idiot"? Asides from assigning the pejorative to them due to the futility of their struggle.
    If the only job a person who holds degree in virtually anything is minimum wage work, then they made a poor choice on what to get their degree in.

    Several of the situations you listed are self-imposed. And who's responsibility would that be?
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    no, but it was never intended for people to start families and live off of. People that have kids while working minimum wage jobs are the idiots.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    no, but it was never intended for people to start families and live off of. People that have kids while working minimum wage jobs are the idiots.
    many of these kids might already have college degrees but cannot find employment because there are no openings.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    many of these kids might already have college degrees but cannot find employment because there are no openings.
    Citation?

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    How is anyone trying to raise a family on minimum wage an "idiot"?
    Not everyone is an idiot, but starting a family before you're financially ready is idiotic. Accepting a minimum wage job but then adopting the opinion that it should, for some reason, pay well enough to earn a living and raise a family… also idiotic.

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •