View Poll Results: Assuming a 40 hour work week, is minimum wage a lot?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give your general geographic location

    9 16.67%
  • No, give your general geographic location

    45 83.33%
Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 456

Thread: Is minimum wage a lot?

  1. #421
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    I have never heard of anybody dying from too low of a wage. I'm no coroner so I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm just saying it must be very rare.
    Dr. Galea also said that poverty results in poor access to health screening, poor access to quality care for those who actually have heart disease, greater vulnerability to stresses associated with heart disease and a greater likelihood of engaging in unhealthy behavior.

    “In some ways,” Dr. Galea added, “the question is not ‘Why should we think of poverty as a cause of death?’ but rather ‘Why should we not think of poverty as a cause of death?’ ”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/he...cial.html?_r=0

    How about people who work their behinds off and work 60 to 70 hours a week and can barely make ends meet? During a frost period like in much of the US some people might not have the funds to turn their heat up to a healthy room temperature. These people risk colds or worse because they do not have enough money to warm their house. Same goes for clothes, a good winter coat costs money and if it doesn't often get real coat people make choices, which could make them be without proper clothing for the cold.

    Poverty also leads to things like unhealthy diets and all the consequences of such a poor nutritional diet. And then I am not talking about becoming overweight but lack of fresh veggies, fruits, lean cuts of meat, etc. etc. etc. which in the long term can be real unhealthy and possibly fatal.

    Also, working that hard for so many years can also lead to early death due to heart attacks.

    Why should employees have to work two or three jobs just so that the president of their man employer can get a 10 million dollar bonus on top of his 20 million dollar wage? Paying a honest wage for an honest days work should be the norm, especially in such wealthy countries like the US, Canada and the EU.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  2. #422
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/he...cial.html?_r=0

    How about people who work their behinds off and work 60 to 70 hours a week and can barely make ends meet? During a frost period like in much of the US some people might not have the funds to turn their heat up to a healthy room temperature. These people risk colds or worse because they do not have enough money to warm their house. Same goes for clothes, a good winter coat costs money and if it doesn't often get real coat people make choices, which could make them be without proper clothing for the cold.

    Poverty also leads to things like unhealthy diets and all the consequences of such a poor nutritional diet. And then I am not talking about becoming overweight but lack of fresh veggies, fruits, lean cuts of meat, etc. etc. etc. which in the long term can be real unhealthy and possibly fatal.

    Also, working that hard for so many years can also lead to early death due to heart attacks.

    Why should employees have to work two or three jobs just so that the president of their man employer can get a 10 million dollar bonus on top of his 20 million dollar wage? Paying a honest wage for an honest days work should be the norm, especially in such wealthy countries like the US, Canada and the EU.
    These people would freeze to death, die from starvation, die from malnutrition or die from heart attacks.

    Humans have been around longer than paper money. You are limiting your vision. There are other methods of survival. I eat food, drink water and breathe air to live. It doesn't matter if somebody gives them to me or I buy them. I still didn't need any of the money to survive. Otherwise I would have kept the money instead of exchanging it for food.

  3. #423
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Savannah
    Last Seen
    02-21-14 @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    86

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/he...cial.html?_r=0

    How about people who work their behinds off and work 60 to 70 hours a week and can barely make ends meet? During a frost period like in much of the US some people might not have the funds to turn their heat up to a healthy room temperature. These people risk colds or worse because they do not have enough money to warm their house. Same goes for clothes, a good winter coat costs money and if it doesn't often get real coat people make choices, which could make them be without proper clothing for the cold.

    Poverty also leads to things like unhealthy diets and all the consequences of such a poor nutritional diet. And then I am not talking about becoming overweight but lack of fresh veggies, fruits, lean cuts of meat, etc. etc. etc. which in the long term can be real unhealthy and possibly fatal.

    Also, working that hard for so many years can also lead to early death due to heart attacks.

    Why should employees have to work two or three jobs just so that the president of their man employer can get a 10 million dollar bonus on top of his 20 million dollar wage? Paying a honest wage for an honest days work should be the norm, especially in such wealthy countries like the US, Canada and the EU.
    You present a good sob story but life is tough and people have to live with the choices that they make. If someone works 70 hours a week and can't make it that is their fault. Sorry bout their luck but people who are impoverished are there by choice. All I can say for them is make better choices and work harder to get ahead. Pursuit of happiness doesn't mean that you'll get it. Sometimes life sucks and then ya die.

  4. #424
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    Hmmm;
    it sounds as if you might be a little bit skeptical of my prediction_
    Well;
    if you want to be dependent on government for life, elect socialists_
    But;
    if you want to live free and be self-sufficient for life, elect capitalists_
    Because;
    whatever you put in determines how much you will get back in the end_
    And;
    some of us expect to get more back than government's meager handouts_
    I know.

    Best PR campaign ever.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  5. #425
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    These people would freeze to death, die from starvation, die from malnutrition or die from heart attacks.

    Humans have been around longer than paper money. You are limiting your vision. There are other methods of survival. I eat food, drink water and breathe air to live. It doesn't matter if somebody gives them to me or I buy them. I still didn't need any of the money to survive. Otherwise I would have kept the money instead of exchanging it for food.
    Nobody gives you food, you might be given some food but nobody can live on provided food forever. Also, food does not keep you warm. Everybody needs money to survive in our money driven society. In the past you might have been able to get by without what we think of as money but the money in that time was food or services. You would be a pig farmer and if you needed clothes you would trade meat for the things you would need.

    In the past people provided for themselves because they had farms, grew food themselves.

    And these people I named as examples would most likely have not died if they would have had enough money to heat, eat properly or had a liveable wage (a wage with which a normal man/woman who works around 40 hours a week can provide for him and a small family).
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  6. #426
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRED View Post
    You present a good sob story but life is tough and people have to live with the choices that they make. If someone works 70 hours a week and can't make it that is their fault. Sorry bout their luck but people who are impoverished are there by choice. All I can say for them is make better choices and work harder to get ahead. Pursuit of happiness doesn't mean that you'll get it. Sometimes life sucks and then ya die.
    It is not a sob story, it is a statistical fact. And no, that is not always down to the choices people make. Some people do not catch that break, did not have a proper education because they are not that smart or indeed made a stupid choice once and never were able to get back on their feed. And these people sometimes work 10 times as hard as any CEO or company director but do not get paid accordingly (a proper wage for a proper job).
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  7. #427
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRED View Post
    Sorry bout their luck but
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRED
    people who are impoverished are there by choice.
    Which one?

    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRED View Post
    All I can say for them is make better choices and work harder to get ahead.
    Would you really be kind enough to say that? You are a saint.

  8. #428
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Savannah
    Last Seen
    02-21-14 @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    86

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Which one?



    Would you really be kind enough to say that? You are a saint.
    Never before have I seen a smiley face icon thingy that so accurately depicts my greatness. And yes my friend, my great kindness and wisdom extends to the far reaches of the earth. Even poor people make recieve these gifts of knowledge and amazingness.

    But I guess I should rephrase my statement and say that people who stay impoverished stay there by choice. You are indeed a wise man. Blessings be upon you.

  9. #429
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Savannah
    Last Seen
    02-21-14 @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    86

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    It is not a sob story, it is a statistical fact. And no, that is not always down to the choices people make. Some people do not catch that break, did not have a proper education because they are not that smart or indeed made a stupid choice once and never were able to get back on their feed. And these people sometimes work 10 times as hard as any CEO or company director but do not get paid accordingly (a proper wage for a proper job).
    What is your definition of hard work? And I'm sorry but if it was so easy to become a CEO, on the account that a CEO doesn't work hard, why don't the "hard workers" just do what the CEOs did? Some are born with a silver spoon yes but it's quite ignorant to think that just because someone is rich means they don't wark hard. It's actually quite the opposite. The people who succeed in this life most often times make things happen for themselves and are resilient enough to bounce back from the crap life throws at them.

    And it's not a statistical fact dude bro. Your confirmation bias is just preventing you from seeing the truth.

  10. #430
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRED View Post
    What is your definition of hard work? And I'm sorry but if it was so easy to become a CEO, on the account that a CEO doesn't work hard, why don't the "hard workers" just do what the CEOs did? Some are born with a silver spoon yes but it's quite ignorant to think that just because someone is rich means they don't wark hard. It's actually quite the opposite. The people who succeed in this life most often times make things happen for themselves and are resilient enough to bounce back from the crap life throws at them.

    And it's not a statistical fact dude bro. Your confirmation bias is just preventing you from seeing the truth.
    I did not say that a CEO does not work hard, but the disparity in monetary reward for his work and someone who is not receiving a liveable wage is too great. There are enough companies who pay their employees so poorly that they need second jobs or government aid to even survive.

    Most CEO's have ivy league educations, someone who does not have the opportunity to go to a school like that or who is not very good at school will most likely never have the luck to make it to CEO. Some have that luck (mostly through hard work, I do not deny that) but the odds are most will not reach high positions in companies.

    I am also not saying that people have the right to "the American dream" but a liveable wage for a normal work week should be the norm IMHO.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •