View Poll Results: Assuming a 40 hour work week, is minimum wage a lot?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give your general geographic location

    9 16.67%
  • No, give your general geographic location

    45 83.33%
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 456

Thread: Is minimum wage a lot?

  1. #31
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    All of them.
    be specific please or else i don't know what you are talking about?

    are you talking about teachers? artists? musicians? historians?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    be specific please or else i don't know what you are talking about?

    are you talking about teachers? artists? musicians? historians?
    Education is not considered a liberal art.

    Okay, a quick list of majors that are wasteful and should not be given public funds to purport. Lists may be altered at any time in the future:

    Philosophy
    Sociology
    Anthropology
    Music
    Art
    History
    African-American Studies

  3. #33
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Education is not considered a liberal art.

    Okay, a quick list of majors that are wasteful and should not be given public funds to purport. Lists may be altered at any time in the future:

    Philosophy
    Sociology
    Anthropology
    Music
    Art
    History
    African-American Studies
    okay now i am annoyed.

    money is not the reason people study sociology: it is to better understand Human behavior, something that is worth every cent of funding that is invested in that field.

    philosophy is not a field to earn money, it is to discuss and devolop new ways of looking at how we understand things.

    Anthropology is the study of how Humanity as a species has developed and evolved, somthing that should be studied and funded.

    Music and art is created to express oneself, and culture is something that helps define a person, a ethnic group, and countries. you don't think people should be encouraged to express themselves through music and art.

    And as a student intending to get a carreer as a history teacher, i am offended that you consider my subject of study wasteful. history is the study of our past, in order to understand the present and help us create our future. That is something worth funding.

    African american studies is not a job designed to create money, it was created to study a field of knowledge long overlooked. African americans need to know where they originally came from, their old culture from the time before they came to america.

    and why are majors in this field wasteful?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    okay now i am annoyed.

    money is not the reason people study sociology: it is to better understand Human behavior, something that is worth every cent of funding that is invested in that field.

    philosophy is not a field to earn money, it is to discuss and devolop new ways of looking at how we understand things.

    Anthropology is the study of how Humanity as a species has developed and evolved, somthing that should be studied and funded.

    Music and art is created to express oneself, and culture is something that helps define a person, a ethnic group, and countries. you don't think people should be encouraged to express themselves through music and art.

    And as a student intending to get a carreer as a history teacher, i am offended that you consider my subject of study wasteful. history is the study of our past, in order to understand the present and help us create our future. That is something worth funding.

    African american studies is not a job designed to create money, it was created to study a field of knowledge long overlooked. African americans need to know where they originally came from, their old culture from the time before they came to america.

    and why are majors in this field wasteful?
    I don't mind people entering these fields. I would support, however, federal grant money be eliminated for these fields. I also have no sympathy if they get out of college and sling hash by necessity because they think college is hedonistic instead of purposeful.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I don't mind people entering these fields. I would support, however, federal grant money be eliminated for these fields. I also have no sympathy if they get out of college and sling hash by necessity because they think college is hedonistic instead of purposeful.
    people have to make choices in order to live, i am going to college with a purpose and if i need to do part time jobs to sustain myself so be it.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Minimum wage should be nearly triple what it is today.

    No family should have a household income below $40,000 / yr.

    Current minimum wage for a single earner is about $15,000 / yr at a 40 hour workweek.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    people have to make choices in order to live, i am going to college with a purpose and if i need to do part time jobs to sustain myself so be it.
    Well when you're 45 and asking someone if they want to upsize their meal for 39 extra cents, you say it with pride.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    many of these kids might already have college degrees but cannot find employment because there are no openings.
    That's impossible. There is exactly one job for every single living person. Haven't you ever heard of magic?

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    News Flash to all idiots
    When people are given the choice between earning $15,080 per year and $50,000 per year they will choose the job paying $50,000 per year. Also nobody has a crystal ball. Nobody knows what the future holds. (There are four exceptions: Cephus, Ocean515, Neomalthusian or Rocketman all know every single thing.) It is possible to make $50,000 for 10 years and then get laid off because the company closed. Making $0 instead of $15,080 just to avoid being labelled an idiot by Cephus, Ocean515, Neomalthusian or Rocketman would be a poor decision.
    News Flash to all idiots
    You didn't read what I wrote, as it had nothing to do with knowing the future. 1) Having a child before you're financially ready to have a child is idiotic. 2) Accepting minimum wage but then for some reason expecting the minimum wage to satisfy the needs of an entire family… is idiotic.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    No family should have a household income below $40,000 / yr.
    I made around $15,800 in 2013. My wife made around $13,500. Should we be arrested, put in jail and receive repeated beatings with whips and chains?

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •