View Poll Results: Assuming a 40 hour work week, is minimum wage a lot?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give your general geographic location

    9 16.67%
  • No, give your general geographic location

    45 83.33%
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 456

Thread: Is minimum wage a lot?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Certainly, as is anyone who doesn't think they need to be personally and financially responsible for their own lives. We need to live in the real world in a self-sustaining system, regardless of what makes people feel good.
    What does that got to do with the price of beans in China? Just because you make minimum wage, you still have to pay your bills. What the f*** are you talk about? It seems like your desire to hate people has clouded your ability to have a conversation. People making minimum wage buy food, pay rent, pay for electricity, buy gas and pay their car insurance. Are you really as dumb as you are pretending to be? Nobody can possibly be as dumb as you are pretending to be. You must be a super fake.
    Last edited by vasuderatorrent; 01-08-14 at 08:07 PM.

  2. #22
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,332

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Let's not draw generalizations. Some people who work minimum wage have college degrees, and simply can't apply said degree in the local area. Others have been laid off, forced to work minimum wage to support their family until they find another job opportunity. Some have families who cannot afford to pay for college, and are stuck working minimum wage for several years just to make enough to get started. Others are kicked out of the house by their parents, find themselves with no financial backing for college, and work minimum wage as the only source of income for subsistence. Some work minimum wage because they enjoy the job, very rare, yes. How is anyone trying to raise a family on minimum wage an "idiot"? Asides from assigning the pejorative to them due to the futility of their struggle.
    I too would hardly call them idiots.
    Some are in that minimum wage position while in high-school and are learning about work ethic and saving for their first car or trying to help their family out - Awesome life choice.
    Some are in that minimum wage position hoping/working/striving to better themselves and find a better paying job - They are making good life choices too.
    Some are in that minimum wage position because for whatever economic reason beyond their control, they have lost their job but are hoping/working/striving to find a better job- again, they are making good life choices.
    There is a smaller segment who have made poor life choices during their educational years and are expecting someone else to bail them out by forcing employers to subsidize their past poor life choices after real life shows them what idiots they were. This old adage seems appropriate in their case, "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid".
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    I have no sympathy for fry cooks with liberal arts degrees. They deserve the hellish, abject poverty they get.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I have no sympathy for fry cooks with liberal arts degrees. They deserve the hellish, abject poverty they get.
    why do they deserve to suffer because they wanted liberal arts degrees?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  5. #25
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Where did any of that alter what I said? Nowhere in there does it mention a living wage. .
    You are trying to argue that minimum wage was created as some sort of training wage so that people with no financial responsibilities working in real jobs can learn to work in real jobs. If the Fair Labor Standards act was created ten or twenty years ago stupid people could easily buy your argument. However it was created in 1938 as part of the new deal, and most of the adult population back did not go to high school or college. It was created so people can actually live off it and have a better health and well being. Which means the position that it was a training wage for high school kids and college grads is a load of crap.


    Come on, you're supposed to be a conservative, that means you're supposed to support personal responsibility for one's actions. I just don't see that
    This issue has nothing to do with personal responsibility. It has to do with clearing up a lie that the minimum wage was created as some sort of training wage or the lie that minimum wage jobs are really training jobs.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    why do they deserve to suffer because they wanted liberal arts degrees?
    In my world, stupidity would be a crime. I will live with it just being a financial sentence, however.

    When you have a rich daddy, then you can go to college and major in an unemployable, non-marketable field.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by BretJ View Post
    I too would hardly call them idiots.
    Some are in that minimum wage position while in high-school and are learning about work ethic and saving for their first car or trying to help their family out - Awesome life choice.
    Some are in that minimum wage position hoping/working/striving to better themselves and find a better paying job - They are making good life choices too.
    Some are in that minimum wage position because for whatever economic reason beyond their control, they have lost their job but are hoping/working/striving to find a better job- again, they are making good life choices.
    There is a smaller segment who have made poor life choices during their educational years and are expecting someone else to bail them out by forcing employers to subsidize their past poor life choices after real life shows them what idiots they were. This old adage seems appropriate in their case, "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid".
    Yeah but if you make minimum wage you will be labelled an idiot by Cephus, Ocean515, Neomalthusian or Rocketman. Is it really worth it? Shouldn't they just starve and die in the street to avoid being called an idiot by Cephus, Ocean515, Neomalthusian or Rocketman? Sometimes it hurts peoples feelings to be called an idiot. Are you sure they shouldn't take stock in what Cephus, Ocean515, Neomalthusian or Rocketman think about them? There is no shame in choosing $0 instead of $15,080 per year. Some people might desire the approval of Cephus, Ocean515, Neomalthusian or Rocketman. Maybe it's poor choice to worry about what other people say.

    Screw them. Take the minimum wage job just to spite them.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    In my world, stupidity would be a crime. I will live with it just being a financial sentence, however.

    When you have a rich daddy, then you can go to college and major in an unemployable, non-marketable field.
    what liberal arts majors do you consider wasteful?

    if stupidity were a crime, earth would be considered the largest prison ever created to house criminals
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    what liberal arts majors do you consider wasteful?
    All of them.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    In my world, stupidity would be a crime.
    Who would be the judge, jury and executioner? Someone might accuse you of the crime of stupidity. It's very easy to use immature and childish words like that without any intention of defining their meaning. If the punishment for stupidity was death, you would eventually live in a world all by yourself. The people that use these childish and immature words use them to describe every single person. How sad.

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •