View Poll Results: Assuming a 40 hour work week, is minimum wage a lot?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give your general geographic location

    9 16.67%
  • No, give your general geographic location

    45 83.33%
Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 456

Thread: Is minimum wage a lot?

  1. #211
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    post what it says....then! post your findings
    "The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes [snip] ..."


    Can't think of a more obvious example of something no one wants to do than pay taxes - yet, there it is.

    Quit acting the fool.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #212
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Taxes. See I-8 for details on where the federal government gets that authority. Quit acting the fool.
    see i-8.?......you post what you found..post it

  3. #213
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Yes, because everyone can just immediately uproot their lives and move somewhere else! And on top of that moving is 100% free!
    People need to have an emergency fund so they can make those moves when they are necessary. Living paycheck to paycheck is stupid.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #214
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes [snip]


    Can't think of a more obvious example of something no one wants to do than that - yet, there it is. Quit acting the fool.

    The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

    these listed are voluntary taxes...they are not compulsory taxes!

  5. #215
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Nobody short of a Kennedy-type is "financially ready" to start a family. That's a simple-minded statement --- at best.
    Yep, your first sentence there is a simple minded statement at best.

    There is a spectrum of financial readiness to start a family. Over the last few decades, the trend has been that the least financially prepared have the higher birth rates. That does not make a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things.

  6. #216
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,753

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    The problem with minimum wage is that it isn't really a 1-size fits all situation.

    In some cases, a person might work a part-time job at minimum wage in order to earn some extra money.
    In other cases, a person might work a full-time job at minimum wage, attempting to support a family, because they either can't or won't get a better job. In the former case, it sucks. In the latter case, they suck. Well you get the idea...................

    One of the arguments I hear against raising the min wage involves it's impact on people just entering the job market - from an employeers perspective, why hire an untrained person for min wage when you can hire a more qualified person for min wage...
    This might be different if the percentage of people able to but not working for one reason or another was lower than the approximately 15+ % it is now (I think?).
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #217
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

    these listed are voluntary taxes...they are not compulsory taxes!
    Good luck not paying taxes in today's world. Just finding a product that is 100% US in all materials and parts will be hard enough. Add in the 16th and discount the adjustments the IRS gives you and you pretty much have to be living in an institution and/or hospital to avoid all taxes, duties, imposts and excises.


    Quit playing the fool, it's getting tiresome - but, I guess a person in your position has no other option. Reason can't work because your argument is irrational and factual foundation shaky at best.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 01-13-14 at 09:17 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #218
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Yep, your first sentence there is a simple minded statement at best.

    There is a spectrum of financial readiness to start a family. Over the last few decades, the trend has been that the least financially prepared have the higher birth rates. That does not make a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things.
    No one has a guarantied income except the rich, as many people found out in 2007-09, and even some that thought they were rich went under.


    As for your "trend", you'll have to provide references for that statement. Historically, the only thing that have kept the poor from having larger families was their mortality rate. But I understand - you and others like you would like to return to those times. Personally, I think that's a rather barbaric ideal.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 01-13-14 at 09:18 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #219
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Yep, your first sentence there is a simple minded statement at best.

    There is a spectrum of financial readiness to start a family. Over the last few decades, the trend has been that the least financially prepared have the higher birth rates. That does not make a lot of sense in the grand scheme of things.
    If a person doesn't have his own business and he can't find any employment that pays more than minimum wage, I would consider it extremely unwise for that person to start a family. By doing so, he is placing his children at great risk.

  10. #220
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Is minimum wage a lot?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Good luck not paying taxes in today's world. Just finding a product that is 100% US in all materials and parts will be hard enough. Add in the 16th and discount the adjustments the IRS gives you and you pretty much have to be living in an institution and/or hospital to avoid all taxes, duties, imposts and excises.


    Quit playing the fool, it's getting tiresome - but, I guess a person in your position has no other option. Reason can't work because your argument is irrational and factual foundation shaky at best.

    it shows you no nothing of the constitution at all, the clause you tired to cite, are voluntary taxes......income is the 16th amendment, and government only has authority over you if you violate tax laws, ,they have no general authority.

Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •