View Poll Results: Do you agree with ban on smoking inside cars with children?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I like this ban

    36 38.71%
  • Yes - I like it, but age should be older than 8

    21 22.58%
  • No - I should be able to smoke wherever I want

    21 22.58%
  • other - please explain

    15 16.13%
Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 751

Thread: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

  1. #741
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,034

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    why single out smokers?
    Because it's bad, and because we can. And we hate freedom.

  2. #742
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Because it's bad, and because we can. And we hate freedom.
    Thank you for being honest. lol
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #743
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,034

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Well, eventually it gets to a point where you feel like you're arguing with a child.

    "It's 9pm, time to go to bed now."
    "I don't want to!"
    "Tough, you have to go to bed."
    "But Daniel gets to stay up to 11pm!"
    "You're not Daniel, and this isn't Daniel's house."
    "You're a tyrant!"
    "Yes, yes I am. Now go to bed."

  4. #744
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well, eventually it gets to a point where you feel like you're arguing with a child.

    "It's 9pm, time to go to bed now."
    "I don't want to!"
    "Tough, you have to go to bed."
    "But Daniel gets to stay up to 11pm!"
    "You're not Daniel, and this isn't Daniel's house."
    "You're a tyrant!"
    "Yes, yes I am. Now go to bed."
    The smell of your unwarranted condescension is like the ****ty ammonia smell of a public outhouse.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  5. #745
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,034

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    The smell of your unwarranted condescension is like the ****ty ammonia smell of a public outhouse.
    Human urine consists of only trace amounts of ammonia. I believe you may be thinking of cat boxes.


  6. #746
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,854

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    By your logic, every parent who puts their child at risk for harm is a child abuser. Why should smoking be different than diet or other environmental factors? Statistically, being poor has long term negative effects on children. Should being below a certain income be grounds of CPS action based on child abuse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Can it negatively impact the child's health? Knowingly and likely? Yes. That's abuse, IMO.

    I think for a long time people just didnt really look at this objectively or realize it's potential impact. And yes, just potential but still a very real risk. So to ignore it now is to me, exactly as you say, selfish and lazy and....abusive.
    ............................
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #747
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Can it negatively impact the child's health? Knowingly and likely? Yes. That's abuse, IMO.

    I think for a long time people just didnt really look at this objectively or realize it's potential impact. And yes, just potential but still a very real risk. So to ignore it now is to me, exactly as you say, selfish and lazy and....abusive.
    I'm always amazed at those who deny the damage caused by smoking, 2nd hand smoke, and even 3rd hand smoke. Unless they see the damage being something like the atomic bombings of the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, then it's not damage.

    With regard to your post above...I agree with you...when people say, yeah, I know what the "so-called" dangers are...but then KNOWINGLY expose kids... and use personal freedom and / or rights to justify doing so...then...

    Has decades of scientific evidence about smoking been in vain?

    Fighting to maintain a right to engage in a behavior that's positively known to inflict harm to self and others is called "addiction". The right for adult individuals to choose to self-destruct is okay by me. But not the right to self-destruct and takes hostages with them. We don't individually live in glass boxes. Our behaviors affect others.

  8. #748
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Honestly I think this thread exemplifies one of the glaring problems with libertarian dogma, it is so wrong as to be absurd. What normal human would argue for the right to intentionally harm their own children for absolutely no reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    I'm always amazed at those who deny the damage caused by smoking, 2nd hand smoke, and even 3rd hand smoke. Unless they see the damage being something like the atomic bombings of the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, then it's not damage.

    With regard to your post above...I agree with you...when people say, yeah, I know what the "so-called" dangers are...but then KNOWINGLY expose kids... and use personal freedom and / or rights to justify doing so...then...

    Has decades of scientific evidence about smoking been in vain?

    Fighting to maintain a right to engage in a behavior that's positively known to inflict harm to self and others is called "addiction". The right for adult individuals to choose to self-destruct is okay by me. But not the right to self-destruct and takes hostages with them. We don't individually live in glass boxes. Our behaviors affect others.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  9. #749
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Honestly I think this thread exemplifies one of the glaring problems with libertarian dogma, it is so wrong as to be absurd. What normal human would argue for the right to intentionally harm their own children for absolutely no reason?
    When one believes that he or she has the right to behave in a destructive way which affects others --- in the face of evidence?...yep, I agree...with ya. Mind boggling.

    Well, this belief runs in all directions inside and outside of the libertarian box. Addiction doesn't discriminate. To addiction there's no political ideology, profession, gender, no age...that it won't exploit.

    It's called "stinkin thinkin".

  10. #750
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I disagree. Abuse is anything that harms the child. Injecting it with harmful bacteria is abuse. There are those (mostly) women that make their kids sick on purpose so that they (the mothers) get attention. That is child abuse. Putting stereo headphones on your child every day and 'cranking cool tunes' is abuse. Telling your child all the time that they are worthless and you never wanted them is abuse. Tormenting a child mentally is abuse.

    Of course, we dont know about most things like this (and most are not carried to extremes)...and we cannot always stop them...but it doesnt mean the abuses dont take place.
    Oh My You are totally right!!! I just never saw it before!

    Looking at a child without a giant beaming smile on your face... THAT IS ABUSE!!!!!

    ABUSE!! I TELL YOU!!

    ABUSE!!!!
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •