View Poll Results: Do you agree with ban on smoking inside cars with children?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I like this ban

    36 38.71%
  • Yes - I like it, but age should be older than 8

    21 22.58%
  • No - I should be able to smoke wherever I want

    21 22.58%
  • other - please explain

    15 16.13%
Page 74 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 751

Thread: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

  1. #731
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    It is absurd this is even a point of contention.
    Just call me Captain Obvious.

  2. #732
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    I don't believe that it's child abuse. It is, however, selfish and inconsiderate.
    Can it negatively impact the child's health? Knowingly and likely? Yes. That's abuse, IMO.

    I think for a long time people just didnt really look at this objectively or realize it's potential impact. And yes, just potential but still a very real risk. So to ignore it now is to me, exactly as you say, selfish and lazy and....abusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #733
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    By your logic, every parent who puts their child at risk for harm is a child abuser. Why should smoking be different than diet or other environmental factors? Statistically, being poor has long term negative effects on children. Should being below a certain income be grounds of CPS action based on child abuse?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  4. #734
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,139

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    People's presumptions and the liberties that are taken with them as a society astounds. Everyone, everywhere cries the hollow cry of "Freedom!", all the while readily casting the yokes of their own opinions and inclinations onto others.

    If people took all this energy, all this effort and put it toward productive labor rather than focusing on meddlesome do-gooding perhaps the US would be the industrial juggernaut it once was.

  5. #735
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    By your logic, every parent who puts their child at risk for harm is a child abuser. Why should smoking be different than diet or other environmental factors? Statistically, being poor has long term negative effects on children. Should being below a certain income be grounds of CPS action based on child abuse?
    Smoking around your children is easily avoidable.

    Edit: the obviousness of this statement just made the earth's axis tilt by three degrees.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 01-19-14 at 02:28 PM.

  6. #736
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Smoking around your children is easily avoidable.
    ok so that makes it abuse opposed to the other examples? no, it doesn't.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #737
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    ok so that makes it abuse opposed to the other examples? no, it doesn't.
    That in itself? No, but your other examples were not at all easily avoidable. Lumping an easily avoidable harmful activity in with being poor is really awful logic.

    Out of curiosity, are you a smoker?

  8. #738
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    That in itself? No, but your other examples were not at all easily avoidable. Lumping an easily avoidable harmful activity in with being poor is really awful logic.
    So you're arguing that it is difficult to avoid giving a child soda? High fructos corn syrup is linked to obesity and type 2 diabetes. Phosphoric acid is linked to osteoporosis, and people who drink significant quantities of soda have lower functioning immune systems. Low functioning immune systems are linked to developing cancer. There.. i just made a solid case that giving a child soda is child abuse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post

    Out of curiosity, are you a smoker?
    As I have said at least twice in this thread, I do not smoke.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  9. #739
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    So you're arguing that it is difficult to avoid giving a child soda? High fructos corn syrup is linked to obesity and type 2 diabetes. Phosphoric acid is linked to osteoporosis, and people who drink significant quantities of soda have lower functioning immune systems. Low functioning immune systems are linked to developing cancer. There.. i just made a solid case that giving a child soda is child abuse.
    Where is this going? Do you intend to run down a checklist of every potential risk activity in the universe? We're talking about smoking.

  10. #740
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Where is this going? Do you intend to run down a checklist of every potential risk activity in the universe? We're talking about smoking.
    Sure, why not? Risk is risk.. why single out smokers? But if you want to ignore the point I made and continue beating this rotting corpse, be my guest..
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •