View Poll Results: Do you agree with ban on smoking inside cars with children?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I like this ban

    36 38.71%
  • Yes - I like it, but age should be older than 8

    21 22.58%
  • No - I should be able to smoke wherever I want

    21 22.58%
  • other - please explain

    15 16.13%
Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 751

Thread: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

  1. #571
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,551

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    I know cars, and I've not stated anything that wasn't fact.
    Cardinal's post hits the nail on the head in every way imaginable.

    I just test drove a used car that had been previously owned by a smoker.

    The smell was overwhelming. The upholstery was stained.

    And this was after a thorough dealership cleaning and detailing.

    There may be just enough positive pressure in a car to keep gasoline fumes out, but that doesn't work for fumes that are initiated inside the car.

    Put a gasoline can inside the car and then crack a window.

    Again - bottom line here - if you smoke inside a car - so does everyone else inside the car.

    If you wouldn't hand your 5 year old a cigarette and let him/her smoke it - then you have no business smoking while in your car with him/her.

    Unless you're willing to state that 5 year old's should be allowed to smoke, please go back to my previous post with the ostrich.

  2. #572
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Okay, but how would you prove something like that, when an asthma exacerbation can be caused by so many different things, and sometimes they don't even know why a person had an exacerbation. I just can't see ripping little children away from their parents like that. I've known several friends growing up who were in foster care, and some of those homes are awful, and it's not always the foster parents are awful or abusive, but a lot of times the other foster kids in the home. And with the other horrible abuses that take place against children, I wouldn't feel comfortable sinking resources into investigating people for smoking.
    Well that's why it's a court process, you know, investigating the conditions of the home overall, checking into the parents otherwise - etc etc.

    There are other medical conditions out there and sometimes parents have had their children taken away because the parents were only harming their children through their decisions and activities, rather than helping. Mainly, what gets that ball rolling is that a doctor give advice - and that advice is routinely not followed. Attitude of the parent goes far in such situations. It's not easy to prove - but I'm not going to err on 'well it's hard so let's not care' - It's hard, so let's leave that up to the people who deal with that sort of thing.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #573
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,899
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Cardinal's post hits the nail on the head in every way imaginable.

    I just test drove a used car that had been previously owned by a smoker.

    The smell was overwhelming. The upholstery was stained.

    And this was after a thorough dealership cleaning and detailing.

    There may be just enough positive pressure in a car to keep gasoline fumes out, but that doesn't work for fumes that are initiated inside the car.

    Put a gasoline can inside the car and then crack a window.

    Again - bottom line here - if you smoke inside a car - so does everyone else inside the car.

    If you wouldn't hand your 5 year old a cigarette and let him/her smoke it - then you have no business smoking while in your car with him/her.

    Unless you're willing to state that 5 year old's should be allowed to smoke, please go back to my previous post with the ostrich.
    You have no way of knowing whether the previous owner cracked the window or not. That invalidates your assertion.

  4. #574
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,050

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Those are the legal steps.
    Yeah - which the state follows. Unless you can show evidence to the contrary.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #575
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yeah - which the state follows. Unless you can show evidence to the contrary.
    Your claim is that they always follow those steps? That is rather silly to believe.

  6. #576
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,050

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Your claim is that they always follow those steps? That is rather silly to believe.
    No proof is needed, only speculation and conjecture.
    Here are the facts for you. The state actually needs proof to remove a child. Claiming that they don't is absolutely false.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #577
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Here are the facts for you. The state actually needs proof to remove a child. Claiming that they don't is absolutely false.
    They need proof, legally.

  8. #578
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,050

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    They need proof, legally.
    Yes, otherwise the child can't be removed.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #579
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, otherwise the child can't be removed.
    You are confusing legality with ability, which is silly.

  10. #580
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Only that's not true at all. Look at all the steps needed in a liberal state like Michigan...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yeah - which the state follows. Unless you can show evidence to the contrary.
    The problem is that each case is dealt with by an individual case worker who may or may not follow each step. As Chris said, I'm sure it does vary from state-to-state. However, there are numerous cases where children were removed from their homes and actually died in foster care. One need only google it to find proof of that. Fact is, social workers keep their jobs if there are case loads. There's no incentive to end an investigation.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •