View Poll Results: Do you agree with ban on smoking inside cars with children?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I like this ban

    36 38.71%
  • Yes - I like it, but age should be older than 8

    21 22.58%
  • No - I should be able to smoke wherever I want

    21 22.58%
  • other - please explain

    15 16.13%
Page 55 of 76 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 751

Thread: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

  1. #541
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    I, of course, do not agree with you.. How is it possible that for decades, people smoked around their children and even in the car with them, yet most of us are not just alive, but well?
    There's almost something "If people evolved from monkeys then why are there still monkeys" about your question. Do you reject the science on the health risks of smoking?

  2. #542
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Your point was never lost on me, it's just that personal freedom isn't a valid argument where actual victims can be shown to exist. Like here. You don't have the personal freedom to take anyone's property and you don't have the personal freedom to kill anybody you want. They are illegal because those actions are violating other people's property and well-being. No matter how much you attempt to make this about personal freedom, you're never going to disguise the fact that there are victims in this case, which is specifically what the ban is addressing.
    There will always be victims. The government can't step in and keep everyone safe. More security equals less freedom. It's a simple concept.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #543
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Obviously you are not understanding. You cannot take children from their parents here in America without some type of proof that there is intentional wrongdoing. Do you realize the can of worms you would be opening here? You cannot PROVE that an asthma exacerbation is due to a parent smoking in the home. This is NOT my personal opinion. These are facts. You can't take children away from parents without a DARN good reason and provable reason.


    I wish that you were right about this..Unfortunately, you are not....

  4. #544
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    I wish that you were right about this..Unfortunately, you are not....
    There has to be evidence. The state cannot just come into your home and take your child without a good reason.

  5. #545
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    There has to be evidence. The state cannot just come into your home and take your child without a good reason.
    Happens all the time. One need only to be reported. No proof is needed, only speculation and conjecture. The state moves in and "investigates" often removing the child from the home in the process.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #546
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    There's almost something "If people evolved from monkeys then why are there still monkeys" about your question. Do you reject the science on the health risks of smoking?


    We are not talking monkeys here....Do I believe "all" of the hype about smoking? No, I do not...Do I think that smoking is good for you? Of course not.. Why can't you answer my question?

  7. #547
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    There has to be evidence. The state cannot just come into your home and take your child without a good reason.


    They do it everyday in this country.. Do some research and you will be astounded at what you discover....

  8. #548
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Happens all the time. One need only to be reported. No proof is needed, only speculation and conjecture. The state moves in and "investigates" often removing the child from the home in the process.
    I wonder if that varies from state to state, because I knew a girl who had a bitter ex-boyfriend who called on her and made up some stuff. DSS came to her home and looked at things and said that because there wasn't any evidence of any abuse or neglect that they were not going to file a report. I've never heard of a child being taken out of the home where it wasn't warranted, unless those rare cases you hear on the news.

    Two of my friends from childhood were in foster care for a time. One was molested by her stepfather and the other was alone all the time because her mother was an alcoholic and always out at the bars or with some guys or whatever she did with her time.

  9. #549
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I wonder if that varies from state to state, because I knew a girl who had a bitter ex-boyfriend who called on her and made up some stuff. DSS came to her home and looked at things and said that because there wasn't any evidence of any abuse or neglect that they were not going to file a report. I've never heard of a child being taken out of the home where it wasn't warranted, unless those rare cases you hear on the news.

    Two of my friends from childhood were in foster care for a time. One was molested by her stepfather and the other was alone all the time because her mother was an alcoholic and always out at the bars or with some guys or whatever she did with her time.


    No, it is a nationwide problem...Legally Kidnapped and Kidjacked are two websites to check out, but there are dozens of others...

  10. #550
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Think the bigger risk to their health is the redneck behind the wheel, smoking or not. So many kids die in car crashes every year that perhaps driving with kids period should be illegal. Oh, but that would kill tourist industry, so won't happen.

Page 55 of 76 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •