View Poll Results: Do you agree with ban on smoking inside cars with children?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I like this ban

    36 38.71%
  • Yes - I like it, but age should be older than 8

    21 22.58%
  • No - I should be able to smoke wherever I want

    21 22.58%
  • other - please explain

    15 16.13%
Page 54 of 76 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 751

Thread: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

  1. #531
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    I dont care even a little bit if you smoke. You know good and well I was talking about you smoking with children in the car with you.

    You are king so you gonna smoke in your car with your kids, even though it almost certainly causes the kids harm? I hope their respiratory problems PLEASE you. Unbelieveable.
    Silly hyperbole. I doubt anyone is pleased by a child's respiratory problems. In fact, I'm fairly certain that 99% of people in this thread acknowledge that second hand smoking can be harmful. However, the argument is whether or not there needs to be MORE laws. Aren't there enough laws? Should we make a list of every harmful thing that may affect a child and ban that, as well? Why just smoking?

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    If there is even a off chance it harms you kids, why would you do it? You know it might harm them, it is not like letting them play football or some other important life experience, there is no upside to the risk. It is almost certainly harmful to kids. Knee jerk zealots? You are intentionally harming children, and even when it is pointed out to you, you insist on doing it. Yea, that is rational.
    Nonsense. The law won't prevent children from being harmed. What it will do is put yet another law on the books that needs to be enforced, and increase the size of an already expanding bureaucracy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And thank Christ for that.



    Sure, we all knew a guy who knew a guy who lived to a hundred and smoked three packs of cigarettes a day, but it's not exactly the norm. The fact is a person's genetics can give some people near-Wolverine levels of resistance to disease in certain cases. But the science has been in for years: cigarette smoke is a known, deadly carcinogen. This isn't up for debate. If you deny this then you're denying science.



    A common fantasy of smokers. No non-smoker in the car would agree with that.
    Thank Christ for increasing lost freedoms..
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  2. #532
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Silly hyperbole. I doubt anyone is pleased by a child's respiratory problems. In fact, I'm fairly certain that 99% of people in this thread acknowledge that second hand smoking can be harmful. However, the argument is whether or not there needs to be MORE laws. Aren't there enough laws? Should we make a list of every harmful thing that may affect a child and ban that, as well? Why just smoking?



    Nonsense. The law won't prevent children from being harmed. What it will do is put yet another law on the books that needs to be enforced, and increase the size of an already expanding bureaucracy.



    Thank Christ for increasing lost freedoms..
    Loss of freedom for smokers to force their cigarette smoke onto children = negative zillion sympathy.

  3. #533
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Let me make sure I am right about this. Basically they are saying children being forced to breath second hand smoke...good. Goobermint bad. Is that basically the point they are trying to make?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Loss of freedom for smokers to force their cigarette smoke onto children = negative zillion sympathy.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  4. #534
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Let me make sure I am right about this. Basically they are saying children being forced to breath second hand smoke...good. Goobermint bad. Is that basically the point they are trying to make?
    You can't take resources away from CPS for smokers. What don't you get about that? Children will be beaten to death by their parents while YOU are concerned about smoking parents. That is ridiculous.

    CPS already has more work than it can handle. They don't have enough funds a lot of times to properly investigate child abuse cases that they have now.

  5. #535
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's not the point I was arguing. You would have to have read this thread to understand. I am simply arguing against banning or taking children away from parents for smoking. Asthma exacerbations or other such chronic lung diseases can and are caused by secondhand smoke, and I'm not arguing that point, but that cannot be proven in a court of law, and we cannot take children away from families because of some remote connection that a person makes between a smoking habit and an asthma exacerbation, when the cause of an asthma exacerbation and other illnesses are not always easy to pinpoint.

    Do you want to take a child away from their family because of an asthma exacerbation?
    If that's what comes from a court hearing on the issue given all these elements, etc.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #536
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Loss of freedom for smokers to force their cigarette smoke onto children = negative zillion sympathy.



    Shockingly, the point I made continues to elude you. I'll leave you to your freedom-limiting opinions.

    Just as a side note, the US has the world's highest rate of incarceration. While i realize that most people don't believe that smokers who expose their kids to second hand smoke should be arrested, many in this thread have claimed that it is child abuse. If you are capable, stop and just consider that for a moment. Thanks.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #537
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    If that's what comes from a court hearing on the issue given all these elements, etc.
    Okay, but how would you prove something like that, when an asthma exacerbation can be caused by so many different things, and sometimes they don't even know why a person had an exacerbation. I just can't see ripping little children away from their parents like that. I've known several friends growing up who were in foster care, and some of those homes are awful, and it's not always the foster parents are awful or abusive, but a lot of times the other foster kids in the home. And with the other horrible abuses that take place against children, I wouldn't feel comfortable sinking resources into investigating people for smoking.

  8. #538
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post


    Shockingly, the point I made continues to elude you. I'll leave you to your freedom-limiting opinions.

    Just as a side note, the US has the world's highest rate of incarceration. While i realize that most people don't believe that smokers who expose their kids to second hand smoke should be arrested, many in this thread have claimed that it is child abuse. If you are capable, stop and just consider that for a moment. Thanks.
    Your point was never lost on me, it's just that personal freedom isn't a valid argument where actual victims can be shown to exist. Like here. You don't have the personal freedom to take anyone's property and you don't have the personal freedom to kill anybody you want. They are illegal because those actions are violating other people's property and well-being. No matter how much you attempt to make this about personal freedom, you're never going to disguise the fact that there are victims in this case, which is specifically what the ban is addressing.

  9. #539
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Your point was never lost on me, it's just that personal freedom isn't a valid argument where actual victims can be shown to exist.
    Any act that results in a victim should be banned?

  10. #540
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    And thank Christ for that.



    Sure, we all knew a guy who knew a guy who lived to a hundred and smoked three packs of cigarettes a day, but it's not exactly the norm. The fact is a person's genetics can give some people near-Wolverine levels of resistance to disease in certain cases. But the science has been in for years: cigarette smoke is a known, deadly carcinogen. This isn't up for debate. If you deny this then you're denying science.



    A common fantasy of smokers. No non-smoker in the car would agree with that.


    I, of course, do not agree with you.. How is it possible that for decades, people smoked around their children and even in the car with them, yet most of us are not just alive, but well?

Page 54 of 76 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •