View Poll Results: Do you agree with ban on smoking inside cars with children?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I like this ban

    36 38.71%
  • Yes - I like it, but age should be older than 8

    21 22.58%
  • No - I should be able to smoke wherever I want

    21 22.58%
  • other - please explain

    15 16.13%
Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 751

Thread: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

  1. #471
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I'm completely happy with smokers in cars with children losing money. Personally, I'd like to see all that money go to a fund for children's education or something equally positive.
    Nothing better than taking money from parents with small children?

  2. #472
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Make them donate to a childrens hospital or force them to go on rounds with respiratory threapy at a childrens hospital. surely the only reason someone would want to smoke around children is ignorance. Or they just want to harm children. Is there any other reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I'm completely happy with smokers in cars with children losing money. Personally, I'd like to see all that money go to a fund for children's education or something equally positive.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  3. #473
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Ah, but the city will make more money off these douchenozzles, and that's something I'm absolutely fine with.
    As it stands now, there is a HUGE back load of cases that DSS has. They don't have enough people or funding to investigate all cases of child abuse, and I don't want to see serious issues where children's lives are in immediate danger ignored because of parents smoking.

    And is it your suggestion that Child Protective Services be involved in such cases? Perhaps even removing children from their parents? Think of that from the perspective of the child.

  4. #474
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Make them donate to a childrens hospital or force them to go on rounds with respiratory threapy at a childrens hospital. surely the only reason someone would want to smoke around children is ignorance. Or they just want to harm children. Is there any other reason?
    Nah, they don't actively want to harm anyone. But every drug addict in need of their fix who's told they can't have it reverts to a six year old state of self absorption that simply can't be reasoned with. You're not dealing with a rational, thinking human here. That's why laws are needed for these people.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 01-07-14 at 11:12 AM.

  5. #475
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Nah, they don't actively want to harm anyone. But every drug addict in need of their fix who's told they can't have it reverts to a six year old state of self absorption that simply can't be reasoned with. You're not dealing with a rational, reasoning person here. That's why laws are needed for these people.
    But laws do not stop what they ban.

  6. #476
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    As it stands now, there is a HUGE back load of cases that DSS has. They don't have enough people or funding to investigate all cases of child abuse, and I don't want to see serious issues where children's lives are in immediate danger ignored because of parents smoking.

    And is it your suggestion that Child Protective Services be involved in such cases? Perhaps even removing children from their parents? Think of that from the perspective of the child.
    In extraordinary cases? Possibly. Despite what I've said in this thread I'm actually not unsympathetic to the reality of an understaffed, underfunded DSS. Nor am I unsympathetic to Goshin's point about the remarkable abuse in foster homes. But the matter of child protection services being undermanned and foster homes being terrible does not change my belief that chronic, heavy exposure of cigarette smoke to children qualifies as child abuse. As I said earlier, if the very least this ban achieves is a financial slap upside the heads of those parents, then I can be content with that.

  7. #477
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    In extraordinary cases? Possibly. Despite what I've said in this thread I'm actually not unsympathetic to the reality of an understaffed, underfunded DSS. Nor am I unsympathetic to Goshin's point about the remarkable abuse in foster homes. But the matter of child protection services being undermanned and foster homes being terrible does not change my belief that chronic, heavy exposure of cigarette smoke to children qualifies as child abuse. As I said earlier, if the very least this ban achieves is a financial slap upside the heads of those parents, then I can be content with that.
    The law is not about heavy exposure. And it is odd you want to take money from parents with small children.

  8. #478
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    The law is not about heavy exposure. And it is odd you want to take money from parents with small children.
    I might suggest to those parents that they put the money they spend on cigarettes towards their children's future college education instead. Smoking ain't cheap, you know.

  9. #479
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I might suggest to those parents that they put the money they spend on cigarettes towards their children's future college education instead. Smoking ain't cheap, you know.
    Or to the government, yes?

  10. #480
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    In extraordinary cases? Possibly. Despite what I've said in this thread I'm actually not unsympathetic to the reality of an understaffed, underfunded DSS. Nor am I unsympathetic to Goshin's point about the remarkable abuse in foster homes. But the matter of child protection services being undermanned and foster homes being terrible does not change my belief that chronic, heavy exposure of cigarette smoke to children qualifies as child abuse. As I said earlier, if the very least this ban achieves is a financial slap upside the heads of those parents, then I can be content with that.
    But you are ignoring the unintended consequences.

Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •