View Poll Results: Do you agree with ban on smoking inside cars with children?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I like this ban

    36 38.71%
  • Yes - I like it, but age should be older than 8

    21 22.58%
  • No - I should be able to smoke wherever I want

    21 22.58%
  • other - please explain

    15 16.13%
Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 751

Thread: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

  1. #401
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,925

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Of course you guys know more than doctors and stuff. Rationalize it all you want, but why would you take the chance, just on the outside chance all that medical science was right and you was wrong? I mean I know you guys are almost certainly right, and you know so much more than them dumbass doctors, but just on the outside chance they were right and you were wrong, why? Why would you do it?
    Because I can. That's it. No other reason needed. That's why I do. I smoke because I enjoy smoking. I smoke a pipe which in my opinion is worse than a cigar because of the additives in the various flavored tobaccos, but yet when I light it up in my den when I am doing paperwork or watching the tube I seem ATTRACT people there because they LIKE the smell especially children for some reason(It most certainly is not my award winning personality), while when I light up a stogie most people run because they think they stink. Go figure. Anyways I live my life as I choose. If I truly thought that secondhand smoke was something other than bull**** I wouldn't smoke while others were around. I try to be considerate, but on my property and in my vehicles I am king and I do as I please, and smoking pleases me.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  2. #402
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Keep the window cracked. Good enough.
    Factually, not really.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #403
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,178

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    If you smoke in the car with kids, you dont give a damn about the kids, law or not.


    No sir. This is demonstrably false.

    Many OTHERWISE GOOD PEOPLE do a *few* questionable things, do they not? We are none of us perfect. Does a single flaw make us instantly all bad? Most would say no...

    Some Vegans probably say anyone who encourages their child to eat meat is a horrific monster who should never have kids. Does that make it so? Well, they could argue the health benefits... but eating meat doesn't have the social stigma that smoking does... today, the only truly SAFE group to utterly disparage is smokers...

    My parents smoked with me in the car as a kid... and I guarantee you they loved me. I have 1000x as much proof of that as I need. That they had feet of clay and a few faults doesn't change that.


    Now how about we lay off the ridiculous extremes and talk about this like rational persons instead of knee-jerk zealots....

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #404
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Non sequitur.
    Do you even know what that means? You say exposing children to the toxins in cigarette smoke is child abuse (completely hysterical) Therefore, you support a ban. You probably even support CPS removing the child from the parent's custody. Now THAT is a non sequitur.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  5. #405
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Do you even know what that means? You say exposing children to the toxins in cigarette smoke is child abuse (completely hysterical) Therefore, you support a ban. You probably even support CPS removing the child from the parent's custody. Now THAT is a non sequitur.
    I hope I know what it means -- I studied Latin for four years. Your response was "So your answer to people's stupidity is more government involvement?" This doesn't at all address the merits of the case, so yes, it's a non sequitur.

  6. #406
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I hope I know what it means -- I studied Latin for four years. Your response was "So your answer to people's stupidity is more government involvement?" This doesn't at all address the merits of the case, so yes, it's a non sequitur.
    ... My response does address your argument as i pointed out in my last post. Sorry you don't follow. . .
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #407
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I can sort of see banning it and giving tickets for doing it as not being entirely unreasonable. I mean, I AM a smoker, and *I* would not wish to be stuck in a car with two or three smokers and the windows rolled up.

    But calling it child abuse, which makes it a DSS issue and something the kids could theoretically be taken away from the parents and put into the "system" (where 25% suffer sexual abuse in foster care) strikes me as WAYYYY too extreme a reaction.
    This is actually how I feel about it. While I have no issue whatsoever with the tickets/fines for it, it should not be considered child abuse. That would set too much of a stupid precedent. It is ignorant, but not child abuse. And this is a good way to curb it, allowing children a little bit of smokefree air and hopefully a bit healthier lungs, without any threat of the parents losing their children over this.

    Besides, this is much more a rights vs rights issue. The right of the child to be able to breathe smokefree air over the right of the parent to smoke in their car while the children are with them. And this one is really not that hard to enforce (other laws and policies already mean police officers are looking inside your car while you are driving), unlike trying to ban smoking in someone's personal home which would be extremely hard to enforce without some serious issues dealing with warrants.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #408
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Smoking while driving with kids under 8 now illegal in Maryland - NY Daily News


    I'm here to say - I can't find fault with this at all, except for wondering why 8 years old is the cut off. Why not 12 or 14? Why 8?

    Who here will defend the right of the adult to subject their child to smoke inside a confined space like a car?
    First, I don't smoke...

    Is it good parenting to smoke around your kids and their developing lungs? Hell no.

    This, however, is the US. If a person wants to be a bad parent and smoke with their kids in the car, it's none of my business. And it's dang sure not the business of the flippin' government. This isn't, to me, the same as requiring seat belts or car seats. This goes too far.

    What's next? Making it illegal to fart in a restaurant?

    We have too many laws as it is.

    No matter how much some would like to see it happen, we cannot legislate personal responsibility or legislate away the consequences of a lack of personal responsibility.

  9. #409
    Guru
    Juanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    now? COLORADO
    Last Seen
    04-27-16 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,981

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I had to put up with smoking parents. In the house, in the car, etc. I hated it. Smokers will get no sympathy from me.


    Do you have a smoking related cancer? According to the "thinking" of today, everybody born in the 40s, 50s and 60s should be dead already.

  10. #410
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    Do you have a smoking related cancer? According to the "thinking" of today, everybody born in the 40s, 50s and 60s should be dead already.
    I don't care about cancer. I just didn't like cigarettes.

    Farting doesn't cause cancer but I bet you would hate growing up having to tolerate flatulent parents. I have the same aversion to smelly feet, for the same reason. My father would come home, kick his boots off and smell up the whole house. I require my boys to take their shoes off near the door, socks in a very small laundry bin just for socks, and powder their feet. That's only when they eventually take their shoes off, I don't mind shoes in the house normally.

    My late grandfather smoked a pipe and I never minded. There's something about cigarettes. And chew....have your cancer if you want it, but I don't want to be around anyone spitting all the time. I would even avoid you if you had some weird medical condition that made you spit.

    I'm a dick like that.
    Last edited by Jerry; 01-07-14 at 12:42 AM.

Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •