View Poll Results: Do you agree with ban on smoking inside cars with children?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I like this ban

    36 38.71%
  • Yes - I like it, but age should be older than 8

    21 22.58%
  • No - I should be able to smoke wherever I want

    21 22.58%
  • other - please explain

    15 16.13%
Page 35 of 76 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 751

Thread: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

  1. #341
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I honestly don't know which way to lean on that. On one hand employees who don't smoke may feel coerced to accept the smoky environment because they need the work, but on the other hand they can find a job elsewhere (unless they can't because work is too scarce). Likewise, customers can choose to eat there, but what if it's the only restaurant in town? It's not a slam dunk either way for me.
    There is no coercion when you choose to work somewhere.

    Is there a "right" to even have a restaurant in your town, let alone to have a restaurant in your town that bans smoking? The slam dunk this is could not be described as more of a slam dunk.

  2. #342
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Start your search with Pasadena, CA.

    So what's next, backyard barbeques? How about cooking of certain foods that are vented outside? Perhaps banning certain plants because they put off a fragrance that some find objectionable?

    Slippery slope? Absolutely.
    Something related to this came up earlier in this thread, in which I said that it would be extremely difficult to make an argument against food (or barbecues) because they are in nature nutritional requirements, while cigarettes are only harmful. Your plant reference is nonsense because plant fragrances aren't carcinogenic.

  3. #343
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    There is no coercion when you choose to work somewhere.
    Only a person who has never worked a job in her life would say such a thing.

  4. #344
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    There are still places in the world you can go to where you won't have to pay taxes or accept laws you consider tyrannical. Either move there or quit your bitching. No one cares.
    I'm not bitching. Your argument assumes that their claims to my property are justified and that the act of them taking my property makes me their subject. Neither half of that argument is correct or logical.

  5. #345
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I honestly don't know which way to lean on that. On one hand employees who don't smoke may feel coerced to accept the smoky environment because they need the work, but on the other hand they can find a job elsewhere (unless they can't because work is too scarce). Likewise, customers can choose to eat there, but what if it's the only restaurant in town? It's not a slam dunk either way for me.
    Towns have borders that can easily be crossed and like it or not you're not forced to work anywhere.

  6. #346
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm not bitching. Your argument assumes that their claims to my property are justified and that the act of them taking my property makes me their subject. Neither half of that argument is correct or logical.
    And it's absolutely fine for you to feel that way, so just move where you feel you'll get the treatment you deserve. But if you live here instead then you've clearly made your choice.

  7. #347
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I don't believe in blanket bans. I believe smoking bans should be based entirely on how they endanger others. Admittedly I don't know the law on smoking in your own home (though I'm definitely going to look into it now), but any ban on smoking that is placed where others are not in jeopardy is, in my opinion, completely illegitimate.
    Where exactly can they smoke then? Out in the woods?

  8. #348
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Towns have borders that can easily be crossed and like it or not you're not forced to work anywhere.
    I meant town in a geographical sense rather than a specific municipal border sense, but I think you knew that and are just toying with me. The second part of your sentence is overly simplistic. Keep in mind I'm not defending blanket bans on smoking in restaurants, I just don't think it's black and white.

  9. #349
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Where exactly can they smoke then? Out in the woods?
    Sure, whatever.

  10. #350
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I meant town in a geographical sense rather than a specific municipal border sense, but I think you knew that are just toying with me. The second part of your sentence is overly simplistic. Keep in mind I'm not defending blanket bans on smoking in restaurants, I just don't think it's black and white.
    Your arguments here are pretty strange. On the one hand the government taking peoples property by threat of imprisonment is a choice, but on the other, deciding to work or do business at a bar is not a choice. I'm guessing in your world everything is the opposite of reality.
    Last edited by Henrin; 01-06-14 at 06:36 PM.

Page 35 of 76 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •